Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Could I have some advice about a school issue please?

(44 Posts)
Fettuccinecarbonara Fri 24-Nov-17 20:41:33

Dd was in school today (primary) and a child started to vomit.

There is a bug going around.

The parents of the vomiting child said they couldn't collect him.

The teacher was, understandably, cross about this, and so the boy stayed in class, vomiting for 2 hours until home time.

Is this in any way acceptable? Leaving the (shit) parents out of the argument; wouldn't you have expected the school to put the child somewhere other than in class?!

Iamagreyhoundhearmeroar Fri 24-Nov-17 20:43:19

Yes, absolutely shock. But realistically, who could they have spared to supervise him? Shame on the parents for not organising having him picked up.

Dermymc Fri 24-Nov-17 20:44:37

Who would supervise him?

The parents are utter shits.

HittheDiff Fri 24-Nov-17 20:45:11

I don't know what we would do in that situation, but leaving him in class was stupid. Now all of the children and teachers are obviously going to come down with it.

However. These things always seem to happen the day that two TAs are absent, the HT and DHT are out of school, the medical room is being used for fluoride varnishing etc...

CuppaSarah Fri 24-Nov-17 20:45:31

Poor little thing! That's so sad sad

Chewbecca Fri 24-Nov-17 20:45:32

No, not acceptable. Isn't there a sick room?

multivac Fri 24-Nov-17 20:47:35

If I had to collect a vomiting child from school, it would be at least an hour, and possibly up to two, before I could get there. I'm not a shit parent, and nor is my children's father, who would be in a similar position.

Of course the school should have removed the boy from the classroom.

FrancesHaHa Fri 24-Nov-17 20:48:03

Sick children tend to be supervised by office staff at DDs school.

Also, if DDs school phoned me in this scenario, it might easily take 1h- 1 and a half hours to get to the school from work. Her dad would be the same. In fact lots of the parents of children in DDs class would be the same too.

lalalalyra Fri 24-Nov-17 20:52:58

How old is the child?

Older primary I'd expect him to be in the medical/sick room with someone popping in to check on him periodically. Younger children there's often nothing that can be done as they can't be left alone.

MissFlashpants Fri 24-Nov-17 20:55:41

So the parents were called at, say, 1pm and the kid had to wait until 3pm?

My husband and I both work in a different town to the school our kids go to. It would take us around 50-60 minutes to get there.

At our school the kid sits in the office with a basin.

It's a bit unfair to judge the parents as being shit. What if one was away at a client meeting and one wasn't allowed to have their phone on them?

They're probably at home now going 'it had to happen on the one day...etcetc'.

Never understand the temptation to judge on here so quickly without thinking through what the fairly obvious explanations could be.

Fettuccinecarbonara Fri 24-Nov-17 20:56:13

Sorry, I wasn't being rude about parents who can't collect (I work up to an hour away from school too)

These parents refused to collect.

But that aside, I am really really Cross about this. there is no need to infect all of those other children, and teacher.

I don't know who should supervise, it's a big school - somebody must have been available? Surely 30 other people aren't the answer?!

Ds said it really smelt and he seemed really unwell 🙁

lalalalyra Fri 24-Nov-17 20:58:17

This is a problem that is becoming more and more prevelant in schools. Because families are so spread around now, and because people know their neighbours less, fewer children have an emergency contact close to the school who can collect them quickly.

user1471451866 Fri 24-Nov-17 20:58:42

We have no sick room. Sick children wait in class. There is nowhere else apart from the corridor and a vomitting child can't be left there.

multivac Fri 24-Nov-17 20:58:58

How do you know they 'refused to collect'? Do you know why?

MrGrumpy01 Fri 24-Nov-17 20:59:13

Difficult, I guess stick them up a corner with a sick bowl. I can't join in the cries of 'shit parents' as we don't know if it was a 'can't' or 'won't' and if it was a 'can't' why that was so.

MrGrumpy01 Fri 24-Nov-17 21:02:20

I think you should be more annoyed at the teacher for telling you that the parents refused to collect.That isn't really info to share. All that needed to be said (if anything) was that they were unable to.

Fettuccinecarbonara Fri 24-Nov-17 21:05:49

I understand a lot of you feel judged or feel I am judging the parents. I am. The family has a history of low-level neglect. The parents don't work. The teacher shouldn't have told anyone, though I imagine she was equally annoyed at putting herself and her family in the firing line for bugs.

But that aside, the main concern I have is the child being left in the classroom. He is 9, almost 10.

The school has a sick room, 3 office staff, ta's in every room.

MrGrumpy01 Fri 24-Nov-17 21:12:39

I think, if you are going to approach the school, then it needs to be about their general 'when a child is sick and a parent can't be contacted/unable to attend' policy. If they have a sick room then it would have made sense to use it.

It is not unfeasible that there will be occasions when a parents can't be contacted. If dh and I were unavailable, our next contact is mil, who quite frankly would be useless in an 'emergency' (as in she would struggle to get there and shouldn't be looking after a vomiting child as she is elderly and not in great health)

SheSparkles Fri 24-Nov-17 21:16:58

Do parents not have to provide an emergency contact for schools where you all live? This is precisely what the emergency contact is for!

SureIusedtobetaller Fri 24-Nov-17 21:22:24

The problem is there often is no one to supervise- schools have no money and lots of TAs have gone. Office staff are busy doing office stuff and are just as likely to pick up the bug.
I had this situation- child sent to lie on cushions in group room, I popped in as much as I could while teaching. Not much else I could do.

moobeana Fri 24-Nov-17 21:29:42

After a spate of this at 2 different schools I worked at, the new head at the second one issuesd a letter saying children must have someone who can collect within the hour. If they are not, social services would be called. He called them twice before parents suddenly started to get their act together and formed phone trees.

People choose to have children, School is education not childcare.

MrGrumpy01 Fri 24-Nov-17 21:32:21

she we do have an emergency contact. In no circumstances whatsoever should she collect a vomiting child if we couldn't, it would be of too great a risk to her.

We have no one else.

sirfredfredgeorge Fri 24-Nov-17 21:42:24

If they are not, social services would be called.

But social services wouldn't do anything, there is no requirement for you to be able to pick up your child within an hour.

boomitscountginula Fri 24-Nov-17 21:43:10

I don't think the teacher should of told you. I am sure the child was kept away from the rest. Also before the child Vomited they was likely contagious anyway.

The teacher, and I can imagine her/his utter frustration at the situation should absolutely not be giving all the details to other parents.

A letter home from school saying there was a vomiting bug going round class would have been enough.

The teacher should be spending less time gossiping and more time making sure this child was safe, the appropriate authorities where aware especially if it is the case of child neglect.

Like a few posters, it would take me 35 mins if traffic was clear and I had my foot down to get to school. And if I couldnt at least 1.5 hours to arrange cover.

The poor child. I wonder what happened to him after school pick up.

Fettuccinecarbonara Fri 24-Nov-17 21:47:49

It's just shit all round.

I get that no-one wants to sit near a vomiting child. I certainly wouldn't.

But in my dd's class there are 2 children who are immunocompromised, and at least 2 others who have parents undergoing chemotherapy. They certainly should be subjected to more of a risk than other children in different classes.

It's a bad situation all round.

I have issues with the school making poor decisions with regard to ensuring the children are adequately cared for (school releasing children to parents who are ordered by the court to have no contact; thefts being dealt with as 'everyone hang your belongings on the back of your chair and store your bags under your chair, rather than find the culprit; children refused to go to the toilet in lesson time as an example) and I wondered if I was being unreasonable in my expectations this time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now