Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Devastated, I've given the surprise away by being careless

(50 Posts)
FrameyMcFrame Fri 24-Nov-17 16:23:08

I left the Internet browser open on the page after buying DS Xmas present, playmobile castle. He came home from school and saw it. He's 8 so read that the order had been confirmed. It's his main present and I've ruined the surprise. I really don't know what to do now, change it? I can't afford any other presents. It is what he wanted but I feel Like I've spoiled the whole thing now he knows. Have rushed upstairs to have a quiet cry....

cjt110 Fri 24-Nov-17 16:24:49

Did he say anything to you?

DB22 Fri 24-Nov-17 16:26:10

I assume he's not a FC believer? You could tell him you were ordering for a friend or relative as they didn't have an account with that shop. I did that years ago when DD found her present a few weeks before Christmas. It was fine, they tend to forget.

OlennasWimple Fri 24-Nov-17 16:26:47

Ah, there's no use crying over spilt milk, or inadvertent present reveals

Are you able to afford even a couple of little bits extra for the castle? The do lots of small things like this ghost , knights, furniture etc etc.

Meanwhile I would brazen it out: "The castle? Well, you shouldn't snoop on my computer and you'll have to wait and see what is under the tree, won't you?"

NoSquirrels Fri 24-Nov-17 16:27:04

Oh bless you! Does he still believe at 8? My DV doesn't, and we'd just have a chat about not looking on my computer!

I'd still feel gutted though.

FrameyMcFrame Fri 24-Nov-17 16:28:47

Yes, he said 'by the way I know you're getting me the castle' I couldn't really deny it as it was there in front of me. I just feel like a total failure right now

Trills Fri 24-Nov-17 16:30:02

Is he even bothered about it being a surprise?

He'll still be happy to have it. Christmas will still be exciting.

NoSquirrels Fri 24-Nov-17 16:35:06

You'll be more upset than him! Christmas is magical anyway - it'll be fine.

cjt110 Fri 24-Nov-17 16:52:10

If he is a FC believer can you try and make out you've placed your order with FC?

BertieBotts Fri 24-Nov-17 16:52:19

Oh don't worry! I bet at 8 he is just pleased he knows what he is getting! He can look forward to it and build up the anticipation now smile There will still be some surprises. I think DC often know what their main present will be anyway if it's something they've been asking for a lot.

Nyx1 Fri 24-Nov-17 16:53:14

I saw the word "devastated" and got worried.

Grimmfebruary Fri 24-Nov-17 16:53:35

Say you wanted to get him a present as well as santa? If your cover isn't completely blown haha. 7 yo knows we 'send things to santa'

user1493413286 Fri 24-Nov-17 16:55:38

I wouldn’t get too upset; my DD usually tells us what she wants as her main present and spends the run up to Christmas getting very excited about getting it

ArcheryAnnie Fri 24-Nov-17 16:56:34

He's 8, it's totally fine. He's getting what he wanted, and he will be delighted with it. You don't need to get him anything else at all.

DeepPileTinsel Fri 24-Nov-17 16:56:44

I'd have totally pleaded ignorance. "Have I? Don't know what you're on about." and no more on the subject.

CustardDoughnutsRule Fri 24-Nov-17 16:56:56

Could you wrap up the castle separate from all the bits? He might be expecting the castle but be surprised by all the extras.

It's a lovely present. He is a very lucky boy and don't you forget that. I bet he will love it.

If you do end up stretching to another gift, ToysRUs have some biggish cuddly toys for £5-7, or you could look for one in a charity shop or ikea. Hula hoops and balls can be got for £1-2.

steppemum Fri 24-Nov-17 16:59:20

If this happens, I always continue to pretend ignorance.

Castle? What castle?
I saw it on your computer
Ah yes, strange pages do pop up on my computer you know.
C'mon mum I saw the confirmed page
I have no idea what you are talking about???!!!!!

I continue to refuse to be budged.
I creates doubt and then they just don't know for sure.

The surprise on Christmas is still a surprise, because they just don't KNOW for sure.

So if he mentions it again, I woudl say - what makes you think something on MY computer is for you?
You do know that Father Christmas can send presents back and change them if the secret is discovered don't you?
Continue to throw up smoke and mirrors every time he asks.

IDefinitelyWould Fri 24-Nov-17 16:59:21

You can give him the castle from you, he'll still be excited to get it and play with it. Does he have a stocking? Fill that with surprises, some of the little playmobil to go with it, some extra knights or dragons or something, maybe a watch if he doesn't have one? Bubble bath, sweets etc. Don't worry.

FrameyMcFrame Fri 24-Nov-17 17:04:35

Thanks everyone. Good ideas... I guess devastated is an exaggeration but I'm struggling with work and tiredness and money worries at the mo so it just blew up out of all proportion. Anyway yes, he's getting a stocking too with little things.
DP back from work now and he said he's getting backdated extra pay and will use some of the money to get some extras like that ghost. Thanks all 💐

TheOnlyLivingBoyInNewCross Fri 24-Nov-17 17:04:51

Why would the main present be from Santa? Surely he just brings stocking pressies! I always liked DS to know that the wonderful thing that he really wanted was from me and DH, not some random guy in a red suit! grin

Jaxhog Fri 24-Nov-17 17:05:44

Don't say anything to him. If he says anything to you, just waggle your eyebrows mysteriously. He'll either be in eager anticipation, knowing he's getting the present he really wanted. Or he'll have forgotten about it and it will still be a surprise.

ShiftyMcGifty Fri 24-Nov-17 17:07:57

Please don’t blatantly and repeatedly lie and ghost him. Why on earth would you want to teach him that was ok

DeepPileTinsel Fri 24-Nov-17 17:14:07

I'd do the same to DH if he was to start pestering me. In fact, I did have to do the same because he was in when one of his presents arrived and kept asking me what it was. I told him there was nothing to see here, and if he brought it up again (because he's an impatient git sometimes) I'd say "Don't know what you're on about.".

DeepPileTinsel Fri 24-Nov-17 17:14:31

I like the sound of a mysterious eyebrow waggle though @Jaxhog grin

WombOfOnesOwn Fri 24-Nov-17 17:16:37

I'm not sure gaslighting children is a very good answer. Be honest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now