Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Do you ever get dog envy?

(82 Posts)
BertrandRussell Fri 24-Nov-17 13:45:22

I adore our dog. She is everything a family dog should be-funny, cuddly, patient, cute, lovely to look at (if you like them scruffy and huge eyed) endlessly loving, reasonably well trained, friendly with everyone and other dogs and I wouldn't swap her for the world.

But I get dog envy. For example, there is another of the same breed on our regular walk who is practically quivering with obedience. Never needs a lead, walks to heel by hand signal, won't chase a rabbit without permission, obviously never misses a grooming session....And as I try to slink past unobtrusively with our mudcaked fur ball I feel like the parent whose child is still playing with two fingers while her friend is Grade 8........

And there is the most beautiful Borzoi/greyhound cross. Oh, he gives me dog envy. I watch him loping efortkesdly. after a ball, while my little blob scurries away in the rear and think wistfully about elegant sighthounds......

Am I alone? grin

MaidenMotherCrone Fri 24-Nov-17 14:03:54

No sorry. I have 3 geriatric pooches, tablets for this, drops for that, the whole house revolves around them and their peculiar ways and high needs. Excessive farting, incontinence, special diets, insomnia, failing eyesight. I love them and do everything I can to make their time left happy but once they are no longer with us that will be it.

I do look out for a certain cocker when out and about. It's lovely and dainty and sweet and happy and, and, and. Maybe one day wink

Glitteryfrog Fri 24-Nov-17 14:11:55

I'm massively puppy broody.
I walk past all dogs wistfully looking at their waggy tails, pretty paws etc.

VeganIan Fri 24-Nov-17 14:16:28

Every time I go to the vet.

DancingOnParsnips Fri 24-Nov-17 14:19:19

MaidenMotherCrone. I don't believe you.

DancingOnParsnips Fri 24-Nov-17 14:20:06

^ meant to put a grin at the end of that!

Noofly Fri 24-Nov-17 14:28:00

Sometimes, yes. I still have to put mine on lead when we meet a dog because otherwise he will lie down, squashing himself as much into the ground as he can before releasing himself like a coil and joyously bounding over to the the poor unsuspecting creature and bouncing right on top of it. hmm

On the lead he still lies down and refuses to budge until the other dog passes and he has either been greeted (oh joy!) or ignored (hurt feelings!).

He’s 3 and yes, sometimes I wish I had a dog who was friendly but calm around other dogs!

LaBelleSausage Fri 24-Nov-17 14:29:13

I see a woman with three impeccably behaved and beautifully groomed Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retrievers.

They all walk without a lead, to heel, look to her for permission to do anything and seem to all fluently understand English, as well as her subtle body language of nods and head angles.

DDog is ahem rather more exuberant. She is loving and loyal, intelligent and so gentle natured, but will look back over her shoulder and give me an attitude laden glance before doing something that she knows is forbidden like rolling in a rotting sheep carcass or leaping in to steal another dogs tennis ball.

DH and I choose to believe that he reason NSDTR woman's dogs are so obedient is probably down to the fact she is secretly a total monster who rules their lives through fear - although deep down we know this is a lie.

Wolfiefan Fri 24-Nov-17 14:30:04

No. Have you seen my dog! I have waited years and years and she's the dog of my dreams and my heart hound.
Would be lovely to have perfect recall, never end up wearing her and for her to stop chewing her foot. But hey. We can't be perfect!

Wolfiefan Fri 24-Nov-17 14:31:15

Oh and fewer tripey farts and a cleaner beard would be nice.
A dog owner's Christmas wishes?! grin

TheVanguardSix Fri 24-Nov-17 14:31:18

Ah no way. Give me a mud caked fur ball any day. grin

ChardonnaysPrettySister Fri 24-Nov-17 14:33:31

Never.

I have the best dogs ever.

TheVanguardSix Fri 24-Nov-17 14:33:42

Oh wait... 3 beautifully groomed Nova Scotia duck tolling retrievers? I take my previous post back.

I have dog envy. confused

BenLui Fri 24-Nov-17 14:34:27

LaBelle grin

“DH and I choose to believe that he reason NSDTR woman's dogs are so obedient is probably down to the fact she is secretly a total monster who rules their lives through fear - although deep down we know this is a lie.“

Exchange the word dogs for children and you have a fairly representative section of MN posts (without the honesty at the end!) grin

LaurieFairyCake Fri 24-Nov-17 14:35:31

Only for more dogs like mine - when I see one I DIE with excitement and start squealing

I REALLY want more Scottie's, sadly can't afford the doggy daycare at £400 a month

Bitsandbobsalot Fri 24-Nov-17 14:37:33

I used to not so much now but I think my dogs are the best grin
I remember when I got my first puppy a little jack Russell (he’s 13 now) I thought I was getting a cute, little “easy” dog !!! My god I was a idiot. He was a ass he’d completely ignore anything I ever said, pull me so hard on his lead my shoulder would hurt, he’d bark really high pitched at other dogs because he wanted to play but played to hard so he wasn’t allowed. Even after having his bits off he’d try to hump every dog he saw and if he didn’t manage to hump it he’d cock his leg and pee on them. I’d avoid anything that looked like a football like the plague because if he did manage to escape that’s it ive lost him and nobody was getting that ball off him, he could dibble like Rooney and if he saw fox crap he’d have to roll in it he didn’t care in the slightest that he was bright white.To top it off every damn day I’d see this man walk (off the lead) his two perfect jack Russell’s perfect to heal one day after months of seeing me he sarcastically said “perhaps not the best choice for a dog given your clearly unable to train him” I went home and cried. I was honestly doing my best everyday and considered rehoming him after what he said. His saving grace was the fact he was amazing with the kids, loved playing with them and was so soft with them.
But only last month I was walking my lovely old yet still energetic dog off the lead past other dogs, past footballs and fox crap on a lovely afternoon when I saw the previous perfect dog owner walking a very naughty young jack Russell who tried to hump my little man. He could of crawled up his own bum but I just smiled and thought karma

Tinselistacky Fri 24-Nov-17 14:39:39

I have envy for people who have more than that 1 of these...

LaBelleSausage Fri 24-Nov-17 14:40:34

I think it's perhaps not so much dog envy, as feeling like an inadequate dog mother.

I'm sure DDog would probably have learned to read by now if NSDTR woman had a hand in it!

DDog is still the doggie love of my life though

EssentialHummus Fri 24-Nov-17 14:45:02

OH god yes. DH is petrified of dogs. I want a pack of Rotties. I get so jealous of owners with their giant soppy doggies.

KittiesInsane Fri 24-Nov-17 14:45:07

Luckily for my sanity, I daily walk the DimDog past a woman braced at a steep angle as she's towed along the footpath by three identical yapping brown furballs. She usually waves breathlessly and calls, "You were SO sensible just to get the one!"

CMOTDibbler Fri 24-Nov-17 14:46:45

No, I luffs my dogs and ddog2 causes other people to covet him. And I get to have foster puppies as well!

steppemum Fri 24-Nov-17 14:52:36

I have just become a dog owner, so I am still at the honeymoon stage!

But I am enviousl of anyone who has a really well behaved dog.

Having spent the last week working really hard on walking on a loose lease, to stop him form pulling, I am in awe of the effort it takes to train them. (and my lovely rescue came fairly well trained.)

greystarling Fri 24-Nov-17 14:56:14

Only when I look at my own dog! I got my ❤️ Dog after a lifetime of waiting and I just adore her with every part of me.
There is one dog at the local park who runs into my arms every time he sees me and he is über lovely. But my own Irish is such a stunner that she turns heads regularly

CoolCarrie Fri 24-Nov-17 14:56:15

No, we have 2 wolfhounds, and like Wolfiefan ( ours chew their feet as well) I have waited years for an Irish Wolfhound, and we ended up with two hairy babies, who are the the best, sweetest natured, softest dogs in the world...they take over the bed, the couches, and the kitchen floor, and our hearts. Their tails and mouths clear everything off the tables, and our rescue mongrel loves them too.

amusedbush Fri 24-Nov-17 14:56:28

My dog is utterly bonkers and I sometimes wish he would do as he's told but I wouldn't swap him!

He has had classes and training and he knows all of the commands because he'll play along when there's something in it for him (usually cheese grin) but he understands the word "no" and will argue the odds relentlessly.

"No"
"Woof!"
"No!"
"Woof!"
"No!"
"Woof!"

It's ridiculous that I argue with - and justify myself to - a tiny Jack Russell hmmgrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now