Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Does anyone *NOT* overindulge at Christmas?

(60 Posts)
Crunchymum Fri 24-Nov-17 13:42:26

To me part and parcel of it being Christmas is good food and good wine and I don't know anyone who doesn't go a bit OTT this time of year.

However a recent diagnosis of gestational diabetes means I'm having to rethink my whole outlook towards what I'm going to eat (I'm currently diet controlled and this is working ok)

I know my reason is medical but anyone else out there planning not to scoff a tonne of crap this Xmas?

* apologies of this is triggering to anyone with disordered eating. Feel free to report of need be.

JaneEyre70 Fri 24-Nov-17 13:50:17

I'm type 2 diabetic, and find that even mildly over-indulging makes me feel absolutely crap for the next few days so frankly it just isn't worth it. We have really nice food in like pates, cheese and biscuits, crisps and nuts, and some wine that we have on Xmas Eve, Xmas day and Boxing day but that's it. Other than that, we just do a normal food shop. I'm always horrified when I see what other people eat over Christmas, it's just gluttony really and our bodies don't thank us! I've also lost 4 stone and have no intention of them landing back on my arse...... grin

Hidingtonothing Fri 24-Nov-17 13:56:30

I don't really eat any more than a normal day tbh, more 'luxury' food than usual maybe but not really more in quantity. I look forward to Christmas food but have IBS and know the repercussions if I overeat so just have everything in moderation.

ZigZagandDustin Fri 24-Nov-17 13:59:35

I have a very enjoyable meal but by no means eat till I feel sick. I do eat when and what I want throughout the day but don't particularly 'pig out'. And I'd have no interest in cheap shitty boxes of celebrations etc. floating around.

RatOnnaStick Fri 24-Nov-17 13:59:52

We just eat to our appetites. I don't have stacks of extra food lying about the house (apart from mince pies which are law according to DS1 who inhales them), just a couple of nicer treats than usual to replace ones we would have had anyway.

spankhurst Fri 24-Nov-17 14:01:56

I don’t do a massive shop that week. Just some really nice extra bits and more booze than usual. I always do a full Christmas lunch with all the trimmings but we don’t go crazy. I enjoy food but I don’t like being full to bursting.

user1471459936 Fri 24-Nov-17 14:03:34

I eat a bit more but I also exercise a bit more.

gingerclementine Fri 24-Nov-17 14:05:15

I never used to. I used to love working over Vhristmas to avoid the days on end of sitting and stuffing your face. But since DC my standards have slipped sharply. But I'm trying the Michael Mosley Blood sugar diet (is that what you're on OP?) So lots of the trashy sweet stuff that gets passed around at Christmas will be handed round to guests.

CMOTDibbler Fri 24-Nov-17 14:08:42

Not a tonne, no. Christmas day, boxing day and new years day a bit more than usual, but not loads of chocs and no booze. I don't make a christmas cake as we don't eat it. No dinners/parties/lunches in the run up either

megletthesecond Fri 24-Nov-17 14:09:16

I don't. A bit more chocolate than usual but I don't have huge portions. And I usually manage to have a rub every day so it all get a burnt off.

BarbaraofSevillle Fri 24-Nov-17 14:09:34

I try not to because I end up feeling sick, not really enjoying it and just eating stuff because it is there.

I've stopped buying extra sweet things and waiting to see what arrives as gifts and might buy one or two treats in the post Christmas sales. And I try and give away any excess or offer it to other people.

In your case I would buy some healthy treaty food instead, like luxury meats, seafood, fruit or whatever you enjoy that you don't normally eat so you don't feel like you're missing out, but not risking your health.

Floralnomad Fri 24-Nov-17 14:10:43

I don’t , I don’t eat chocolate usually so it holds no attraction and I don’t drink ever . I do tend to eat a few biscuits but that’s all .

user1471459936 Fri 24-Nov-17 14:11:24

"Have a run every day"...? shockgrin

PJBanana Fri 24-Nov-17 14:11:40

I’m in a similar boat to you OP. I was diagnosed with Interstitial Cystitis this year (which coincidentally kicked off straight after last Christmas) and as a result most decent Christmas food/drink is out for me. Chocolate and prosecco are especially bad sad

I’m going to concentrate instead on doing lots of fun things in the run up to Christmas, and stocking up on nice food that I can eat without feeling too bad the next day.

I’m trying to feel lighthearted about it all, but I’m a real ‘live to eat’ person!

user1471459936 Fri 24-Nov-17 14:11:51

Dammit. That was supposed to say "have a rub every day".

VladmirsPoutine Fri 24-Nov-17 14:12:00

I go overboard at Christmas especially with food and drink but this is because I spend the entire year eating standard (if not minimal) portions of food and not going full throttle at the wine.
It's the only time of year all my family are together in the same place at the same time and we go bloody crazy. NYE is even worse in terms of the booze the last man standing gets £50 from the rest of us

Nearlynewlywed Fri 24-Nov-17 14:16:33

I do slip a bit usually around the week before Xmas when the chocolates and minced pies come out. On Xmas day, I don't stuff myself sick or anything, although do eat more than usual and eat whatever I want

I'm conscious of my wedding in the new year this year and have been working hard at the gym and eating healthily so i'm determined not to ruin it

My plan is to eat as I have been right up until the 25th and have Xmas and boxing day eating whatever I want. But then straight back into the healthy routine on the 27th.

I figure literally just a couple of days of indulging won't make a difference and may even be more enjoyable. It is when you do it in the build up and carry on until the first of Jan by which time I always feel awful.

Maddaddam Fri 24-Nov-17 14:17:17

We're quite good on not overindulging on the food front, we aim for nice, fairly healthy food rather than loads of it. I'm not that bothered by traditional Christmas treats anyway (don't really like mince pies, cheap chocolates, turkey. not that bothered by Christmas cake or pudding either).

I lose my health halo on the drinking though, I do tend to drink a lot at Christmas. last year I did dry Jan to recover, this year I might be a bit more moderate (so I can avoid dry Jan!)

cherrycola2004 Fri 24-Nov-17 14:17:42

I'm type 1 diabetic and have IBS so I'll be eating the same boring stuff. Substitute food for wine most likely wink

confused123456 Fri 24-Nov-17 14:18:01

We eat the same amount we eat usually. I hate the idea that just because it's Xmas we must stuff ourselves silly.
We have dessert which we don't usually. So that's extra.
Perhaps we may have slightly more snacks than normal (but you can only get Yule log once a year). But nothing much really.

ComtesseDeSpair Fri 24-Nov-17 14:24:49

I spend Christmas with my parents and brothers and we're not a food motivated bunch at all so Christmas isn't really about eating. We have a slightly fancier than average roast dinner and that's it, really. None of us are into cakes or sweets or desserts. We're a joyless bunch grin. Plus like meglet I still do my daily 10k run - and if anything it's tougher as I do it with my brothers, which therefore gets competitive. Brothers and I also take our road bikes to parents' house and will do at least one 100km plus cycle.

I spent Christmas with a partner and their family once and it was awful. Just constant eating and sitting about and it really stressed me out being questioned constantly for turning food down because I wasn't hungry. But, I do get that a lot of people really like food and Christmas is their big annual special blow-out, and if they like it that's all that matters.

FurryDogMother Fri 24-Nov-17 14:33:13

I've been doing a low carb Christmas for a few years now, and I find it much nicer than the 'usual' - I no longer have to have a lie down after lunch, and I don't get that horrible bloated feeling. I still manage to pig out on turkey, ham, pigs in blankets, sprouts, cheeses, seafood etc. - all the good stuff with none of the ill-effects. Years back I remember feeling stuffed after the starter, and really struggling through the rest of the meal - somehow I felt obliged to eat everything in sight, even if it made me feel awful. So much nicer without the carbs!

MiddlingMum Fri 24-Nov-17 14:35:52

I might eat an extra chocolate or two but nothing too much. I'll be running on Christmas Eve and Boxing Day, and we'll have a long walk on Christmas Day. No alcohol, nobody really likes puddings here, so a sensible but nice dinner and a satsuma.

BiddyPop Fri 24-Nov-17 14:46:24

We don't go totally overboard.

We're not fans of celebrations/quality street etc, so I buy €10 worth of leonidas orangettes and we eat those over about a week/10 days between the 3 of us as a festive indulgence.

For Christmas Day, I have in a nice bottle of bubbles, 2 nice bottles of wine to match the meal and some port. We don't drink all of that - either bubbles and some of 1 bottle of wine, or if no bubbles we may open (but not even half finish) the 2nd wine. And we have a glass of port some of the evenings with some cheese - but its only a half bottle and often somemleft when we go back to work. I find we drink a lot less if it's actually really nice wine to sip and savour.

I fill a fruit bowl and while we'd have some treats around, and do get some cheese etc in, we snack on fruit and a few hm mince pies rather than tonnes of sausage rolls and the like.

BiddyPop Fri 24-Nov-17 14:48:30

We don't waste the wine, we put a cork back in open bottles and finish them
Over the next couple of days - but then, we do that year round anyway (but cheap wine do often drink more outside of the Christmas season!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now