Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

How much do you have your heating on and how much is your gas bill?

(31 Posts)
catiinbo0ts Fri 24-Nov-17 12:00:27

I've just changed providers after getting a comparison and it was supposed to be cheaper. They've fitted one of those smart meters so I can see my daily usage. For the last week it's been between £3 and £4 a day! That will work out about £90 a month in winter 😱😱😱

We have the heating on from 6.30-8.00 am. Then 5.00-9.00 pm. Hot water for washing up and probably one or two baths (shower is electric)

Is that ridiculous?

LoniceraJaponica Fri 24-Nov-17 12:05:14

That is a lot
Our smart meter has £81.44 on right now, but we have had the heating on a lot. I also cook on gas and all of our hot water is heated by gas. 4 bedroomed detached house.

However, we have solar panels, and since all of our utilities come from one supplier the feed in tariff comes off our total bill. In the lighter months our supplier pays into our bank account.

Middleoftheroad Fri 24-Nov-17 12:06:38

We have a 5bed and have heating on for 45 mind in morning then couple hrs a night. It's not as warm as my last house as there are lots of rooms and a whopping 16 radiators to heat. It does sound like your heating is on a lot but if you live somewhere colder you might need it

Aliosa Fri 24-Nov-17 12:07:03

Comes on if temp dips below 17. I fill up the oil tank 3 times a year, around £700 a time. So £2100 a year on heating/hot water

glitterlips1 Fri 24-Nov-17 12:07:07

£180 a quarter dual fuel.

glitterlips1 Fri 24-Nov-17 12:07:41

£180 a quarter dual fuel and I have it on most days and evenings.

Middleoftheroad Fri 24-Nov-17 12:10:17

Can you shave an hour off the morning and one off the evening? As we are all out in the day our morning heating goes off about 20 mins before we leave as the house will keep the heat in. No point turning it off as we are just leaving.

That would be 56 he's saved over a month.

Middleoftheroad Fri 24-Nov-17 12:10:34

Hrs!

Kursk Fri 24-Nov-17 12:11:39

We only burn wood for heat, we burn through 4 chords a winter for heating and hot water.

I chord = 4x4x8ft pile

We collect that ourselves so it’s free but if we paid for it it would be about £700-800

Middleoftheroad Fri 24-Nov-17 12:13:22

Op how big is your house? Is it semi/detached? 90 a month would be average I suspect for say a 4 bed. My 3 bed detached was about 65 a month but this 5 bed is over 100 a month

LaurieFairyCake Fri 24-Nov-17 12:17:08

All the time at 20.5 degrees. Think it's £70 a month.

I just did the uswitch thing, was paying £90

MaidenMotherCrone Fri 24-Nov-17 12:19:44

4 bed detached. £100 pm duel fuel. 4 adults, min 4 showers daily plus regular baths. The heating is on from 6am until 9.30 pm and set at 21 degrees. Gas job too.

I did an experiment last year with the heating, there's very little difference money wise from having it going all day to just having it on for 3/4 hours. The house is warm all the time so the boiler only fires up for a short time at intervals throughout the day. ''Tis lovely.

MaidenMotherCrone Fri 24-Nov-17 12:21:18

I'm with Bulb btw. If you want to swap I think there's a £100 cashback thing going for changing.

catiinbo0ts Fri 24-Nov-17 12:29:41

I'm in. 3 bed semi. Could probably shave an hour off in the evenings - then it off at 8 when smallest DS goes to bed.

catiinbo0ts Fri 24-Nov-17 12:29:57

*turn

Idrinkandiknowstuff Fri 24-Nov-17 12:31:36

Is that just gas, or gas and electric combined?

catiinbo0ts Fri 24-Nov-17 12:39:21

Just gas. Electricity is separate

Floralnomad Fri 24-Nov-17 12:42:41

4 bed detached , heating on 24/7 thermostat controlled . I’ve checked last years total and it worked out at £51 per month for just gas . Like a pp I find that it’s just as economical to keep the place warm all the time rather than keep turning the heating on and off and up and down .

TowerRingInferno Fri 24-Nov-17 13:01:14

£130 / month comes combined gas and electricity

Water heated twice a day. Heating on for 2 hours or so in the evening in cold weather only. Very big and cold house, but our main sources of heat are the aga and several multifuel stoves.

LisaMed1 Fri 24-Nov-17 13:15:14

I'm currently experimenting keeping the heating to kick in when it's 19C permanently. I think that it's currently working out at slightly cheaper and the radiators are not on all the time, just topping up the heat. If we are feeling chilly we use a space heating to top it up just for that time in the room we're using.

However we are a back to back terrace. We only have two outside walls, are very sheltered and south facing. We have double glazing and our house loses heat incredibly slowly. Our boiler is coming up for eight years old but was incredibly efficient when it was installed and is one that heats the water as it goes rather than heating a tank. I think you have to look at a wide picture.

Wasn't there a thread last year about how to stay warm, including lining curtains etc? It may be worth revisiting that.

specialsubject Fri 24-Nov-17 13:26:29

Unfortunately the standard comparison model is a fix.

Compare unit rates and standing charges, that is all that matters. Rates went up 30% this year across the board (well hidden and apparently doesn't affect inflation) so dont expect better.

Roomba Fri 24-Nov-17 13:29:09

Two bed terrace here - fairly large rooms for a terrace with high ceilings so takes a while to warm through. I have a combination boiler, gas hob but electric oven.

Currently spend approx £10 a week on gas. Less than £2 a week in summer, we do shower daily honest! At the moment the heating comes on between 06.00 - 07.30 and again 16.00 - 17.00. If my kids are at their dads I don't bother putting it on at all. The thermostat is set to 17 degrees so it switches off when it hits 18 degrees.

I use approx £12 a week in electric. The TV seems to use a lot and is on for a few hours a day and DCs have laptops/tablets charging a fair bit. I don't tend to use the oven for long periods - I'll use the slow cooker if it's something that takes a long time to cook, where possible. I do 3 or 4 wash loads a week (at 30 unless it's underwear /towels) and use the dishwasher about 4 times a week.

I'll be honest though, we're freezing a lot of the time at the moment! We always wear jumpers and often a dressing gown in top to keep warmer. We're used to it though so my kids moan about school being way too hot, also when we visit my parents house we are almost comatose with the heat grin. My mother prefers a steady 25 degrees all year round, when wonders why her gas DD is £150 a month!

Roomba Fri 24-Nov-17 13:38:22

I've experimented with having the heating on all day as I'd read it didn't work out much different price wise. We used about 3 times as much gas so I didn't continue. I think the house is pretty well insulated - have newish double glazing, loft insulation, thick walls (stone though so no cavity wall insulation possible). I used Loads more gas before I had new windows put in. It seems to be colder this winter than last, but then next door is currently empty so that could be why?

OP I would shave half an hour off the morning and an hour in the evening if possible. That way, by the time you start to feel chilly it'll be time to go out, or you can snuggle under a blanket before bed after DC are in bed.

TowerRingInferno Fri 24-Nov-17 15:38:50

We also experimented with keeping the heating on permanently with the thermostat set to 18 degrees for a month (a February). The bill was eye-watering, and the experiment ended!

Cockmagic Fri 24-Nov-17 15:41:50

I have a gas meter and put 10/15 a week on it. It's on 3-10 most evenings and 8-2 during the day. I don't do cold!

I have it on between 19-22 degreea

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now