Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

SAHM. Finding it hard to cope

(3 Posts)
Imaginosity Fri 24-Nov-17 11:30:27

I've been off work for one year and I have to be off work for the next two or three years. I'm due to go back to work then, preferably in 2 years.

I'm finding it so hard. My life now is so pointless and lonely.

I used to think I'd enjoy collecting my children from school and being able to do homework with them but I see now how much better for them it is to go to afterschool with lots of friends to play with for a few hours before I collect them. They still go two days a week and love it.

They like coming home with me too but there is no particular advantage in being home 3 hours earlier. We have more time than when I was working but its hard to fill the time.

I'm so lonely too. I've tried baby groups - i went to them about 8 years ago with my older child too and I kind of feel like - been there, done that.

I'm bored meeting people for coffee. There's only so many times you can meet people. There's not many people around to meet anyway as I don't know that many people and most of them are at work. The other days are just a bit pointless. The one thing I might do in a day is pop to a shopping centre to pick up something. I do a bit of housework and help children with homework but it feels like groundhog day - sorting the laundry yet again, loading the dishwasher etc.

I'm not cut out for this. I see other people who love being at home - I don't understand how they do it. Maybe they have a better attitude than me or enjoy the things I complain about.

CotswoldStrife Fri 24-Nov-17 11:39:57

Do you have a baby? (you mentioned baby groups). How old is your youngest, under a year old?

Not everyone enjoys being a SAHM. I assume there is a specific reason that you say you will be out of the workplace for another year or so.

Does your school-aged child do any after-school activities? That can be a good way of meeting other people yourself.

I do understand the loneliness, it can be tough. We relocated when our child started school so I lost any pre-school friendships and it's been tough going! I spend a lot of time on my own but have started doing craft classes to get me out and about - also a good way of meeting people. If you have any childcare available (not everyone does, us included) see if there is a group or class that might interest you as you might find it easier to meet people other than through parenthood, if that makes sense!

Eeeeek2 Fri 24-Nov-17 11:49:16

I only have 1 dc at 1 year but I to find it relentless and monotonous.

Things that I find make things better is I don’t do lots of housework everyday, I usually throw a hoover around, load of washing and wash up but otherwise I do most housework on 1/2 day/s a week so I don’t feel like I’m cleaning all week.

I’ve joined a local leisure centre that offers 4 groups for parent and baby which allows me to get out and also exercise. I hate baby groups because mostly there is established groups of friends or there is a sense of competition over child’s milestones.

Why don’t you try and find something to do rather than coming home 3 hours earlier? Park, national trust home, museum, swimming? Occupies time, more fun and less mess at home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now