Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Income support - missed meeting - very worried I will be sanctioned.

(15 Posts)
Stormwhale Fri 24-Nov-17 10:30:40

I missed a meeting at the job centre (I'm on income support) I have had an awful lot to deal with lately, and last week the shit cake was topped off with the shit cherry of dd getting a vomiting bug. I completely forgot about the meeting until I got a letter this morning asking me to contact them about it.

I phoned, explained that dd had been sick and it slipped my mind. They want proof. The only proof I have is the messages sent to her preschool stating she had been vomiting and had a high temp. They asked for a dr note, but I don't have one as dd didn't need to go to the Dr, it was just a nasty sick bug.

I am seriously run down myself, and currently have pneumonia and bronchitis (apparently because it was only diagnosed yesterday a dr note for me is not useful), and I am now really stressed that I am going to be sanctioned. Dd's dad is seriously unwell (mental health, psychosis) and is not able to give me any money for dd, so without my income support I will be utterly screwed.

They want me to take the messages in on Monday, and then it will be put to a decision maker. Has anyone been through this? I really don't need this stress right now, I'm just completely done in already. It was my mistake, but I have never missed an appointment before.

RunningOutOfCharge Fri 24-Nov-17 10:43:54

They may not pay you but if it's going to be looked at then they may backpay you if decision goes in your favour?

Stormwhale Fri 24-Nov-17 11:10:51

It says on the letter that if I do not contact them, then my benefits may be affected. I should be paid today, do you think they will have? I'm too poorly to get out to check.

BulletFox Fri 24-Nov-17 11:30:40

Can you just phone your bank and find out if it's gone through today?

Stormwhale Fri 24-Nov-17 11:36:37

Slight problem with that plan. I have lost my voice. I haven't got internet banking either. I might see if my mum can pop to the cash machine for me later. What a fucking mess.

Stormwhale Fri 24-Nov-17 11:39:37

At least I was able to phone earlier. She struggled to hear me through some of it, but my throat has got worse through the morning. I just hope the antibiotics kick in soon.

Caulk Fri 24-Nov-17 11:40:09

Banking on your phone? Some banks you don’t need to be registered for online banking

AnchorDownDeepBreath Fri 24-Nov-17 11:45:52

They don’t usually pay if you miss meetings; you usually have to wait until the decision maker decides whether it was a good enough reason to miss the appointment. Have they given you another one?

BulletFox Fri 24-Nov-17 11:54:13

Good idea to get your mum to check, text her.

Sorry about your voice! Rest up today, take action next week

RunningOutOfCharge Fri 24-Nov-17 14:54:46

I think this weeks payment will be sanctioned then op

Stormwhale Sat 25-Nov-17 09:09:43

This week's payment has gone in, so that's something. They haven't offered another appointment yet, but I did say over the phone that i would absolutely come in for another one. I'm just going to be super careful with money so that if they don't pay me next time I can still afford food, gas, electric etc. I'm calmer about it today, I'll just make sure I do everything they ask and hope for the best.

Thank you.

Caulk Sat 25-Nov-17 09:57:35

would it help to record stuff like this on the calendar on your phone, and have reminders going off so it can’t be forgotten about next time?

KathArtic Sat 25-Nov-17 10:13:27

OP, will your DDs nursery confirm she wasn' in?

Anyway for the future set up on line banking and try to keeps some savings.

IceMagic Sat 25-Nov-17 10:16:23

Send the emails where you told the nursery she was sick and say to please let you know if you need the nursery to confirm she was off sick.

noeffingidea Sat 25-Nov-17 10:17:30

My job centre texts me a couple of days before my interview, which is just as well as I have a terrible memory.
I did miss one interview (a phone interview) because my phone was acting up at the time and I didn't receive the call. When I explained this they were fine about it and didn't stop my money.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now