Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Wood burners, is kiln dried wood better

(18 Posts)
CrabappleCake Fri 24-Nov-17 08:19:19

Colleague says it burns faster but cleaner. Mulifuel stove getting fitted next week.

TillyVonMilly Fri 24-Nov-17 08:22:01

Yes kiln dried is better. Also try other things like heat logs, they’re usually cheaper, give out plenty of heat and produce very little ash grin

Northumberlandlass Fri 24-Nov-17 08:26:32

We have a moisture tester for wood and the drier the better which is why kiln dried is preferable. We have a clearview which we were told not to burn coal on (so definite wood burner rather than multi fuel)
I haven't tried heat logs though!

My Dad had an oak tree cut down this summer so we have a massive amount of wood but it's very damp and needs to dry, we'll be able to burn it next year!

Itsgonnabeacoldone Fri 24-Nov-17 08:30:48

I had a big Oak tree chopped down, it took way more than a year to season and I'm on the south coast!

Kiln dried costs more, not worth it imo. Then again neither are clear view stoves.

namechange2222 Fri 24-Nov-17 08:43:22

I'd agree with the above. When I first got a log burner ten years ago I tried the kiln died logs, good but far too expensive if you use daily. I now have a multifuel Clearview stove and burn seasoned chestnut and coal. It heats my whole house and haven't had central heating on yet this year. I find that putting some coal on top and then closing the airways keeps it smouldering until morning when it will restart again

FaintlyBaffled Fri 24-Nov-17 09:43:02

Yes, kiln dried will burn away in next to no time (though it will give you a lovely crackly fire and lots of heat) It's fine if you only light the stove at Christmas or at the weekend etc but for everyday use it's prohibitively expensive.
I also second the heat logs which cost me less than £4 for 10kg and burn like a dream smile

specialsubject Fri 24-Nov-17 09:46:43

We stack our own for a year at least and it is fine. Dry is what matters, not how it was dried. Never burn new wood.

ForgivenessIsDivine Fri 24-Nov-17 09:49:34

Kiln dried equal unnecessary processing in my opinion.

Uokbing Fri 24-Nov-17 10:06:18

We have a wood burner and have never paid for fuel for it. Do you know anyone who works somewhere where they can get wooden palettes? We have a friend and a relative who gets palettes for us and then DH cuts them up, they burn brilliantly. We do live in a very wooded area and can also often get cut down trees from neighbours etc - obviously these do need seasoning but we can usually get them going with a bit of effort. We have a 'drying room' in our house which is basically just a spare room with a dehumidifier for drying clothes but sometimes we bring the logs in there for a bit as well, if we are short on wood! And then we just use cardboard/paper etc from the recycling for lighting.

We have quite a large house and do still need to use some central heating, but DH also bought one of those fan things to go on top of the fire which does seem to disperse the heat quite well as well, and does something to do with energy transfer as well?!

specialsubject Fri 24-Nov-17 13:34:39

Treated wood is a really bad idea for logburners. Make sure those pallets are suitable.

Itsgonnabeacoldone Fri 24-Nov-17 14:26:05

I think the odd bit of treated wood is ok, you need to check the symbols on the side for what it's treated with. But not to exclusively burn it.

Free wood is a thing of the past around here, the log guys themselves many are running low on wood and it isn't even December!

Blackandpurple Fri 24-Nov-17 14:35:12

Ive never tried kiln dried and for the price i never will. Ive just had a delivery yesterday for £100. Totally dry in natural sunlight/wind. I burn logs and anthracite.

Uokbing Fri 24-Nov-17 16:38:51

Yes we always make sure the palettes are untreated. My DH is meticulous about it!

Linzerelli13 Fri 24-Nov-17 16:46:17

Drying in a kiln depletes the calorific value of the wood so you go through more quickly. Seasoned wood is the best. You can pick up a moisture tester for a couple of £ and it will give you a good indication as to whether the wood is good for burning. Less than 20% is ideal for a log burner. Hardwood burns longer than softwood but takes a while to get going so it's often best to buy a mixed bag from a local tree surgeon. (I'm a tree surgeons wife so have some knowledge on the subject grin )

Uokbing Fri 24-Nov-17 16:50:24

Apparently nearly all palettes in this country are heat treated rather than chemically anyway?

specialsubject Fri 24-Nov-17 17:37:43

Good news - for both your chimney and your neighbours!

Time to spark up. One of the highlights of the day.

Kursk Fri 24-Nov-17 17:44:03

It’s good but it’s expensive and burns quickly. We burn 4-5 chords a year. (1 chord= 4x4x8ft pile)

We cut all our wood in the spring and let it Season for the summer/autumn.

Hard wood like oak and maple are best. Birch burns fast and hot

Pine is no good.

We do burn treated wood/ off cuts/ MDF but only a little at a time.

CrabappleCake Fri 24-Nov-17 18:06:12

Thanks all. I’ll check round the various people who offer it here. It’s a bit limited.

Can’t wait for it to get fitted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now