Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Black Friday - what’s all the fuss about?

(32 Posts)
user1487671808 Fri 24-Nov-17 08:15:07

THats it really. It’s a sale but it’s all just stuff that’s available all year round, the prices don’t seem to be that amazing and I haven’t seen anything that’s grabbed me yet the build up is so big I feel like I must be missing out or too stupid to do it properly.

Help me here, what am I not getting?

ThomasRichard Fri 24-Nov-17 08:17:01

It’s only good if it was stuff you were going to buy anyway. I’ve picked up a few bits for me and the kids under this category, but I’m not browsing. That’s dangerous territory!

Allthebestnamesareused Fri 24-Nov-17 08:22:02

There used to be really good discounts even on things that weren't traditionally reduced (certain designer bags etc) but now its just a free for all 10-20% off sale (on certain items) which meant my inbox had over 50 emails this morning to announce their minor discounts!!

Laiste Fri 24-Nov-17 08:24:09

I just want to know haw bad the traffic is or isn't going to be! Got to go into town (for a non discount item!) and don't want to get tangled up in the madness.

blueskyinmarch Fri 24-Nov-17 08:27:42

The best thing about it is that it has made my DH notice that Christmas is looming and he has shown an interest in buying some stuff. He wants to sit down later and and order some gifts. Win!!!!

RunningOutOfCharge Fri 24-Nov-17 08:28:59

It's rubbish

10% off....20% at a push

Is that the best this country can do?

BertieBotts Fri 24-Nov-17 08:29:43

It's useful for Christmas shopping or big things like baby stuff, car seats that you know you'll need in the next year, as a 10 or 20% discount is useful on those sorts of prices.

Other than that it's not worth it unless something is 40%+ off.

BertieBotts Fri 24-Nov-17 08:30:36

I do tend to find it good for large packs of long life stuff on amazon too, like dishwasher tablets.

user1487671808 Fri 24-Nov-17 08:33:47

Thank you that’s the problem isn’t it, it’s all really things that are wants not needs and 10-20% isn’t amazing enough. If I really wanted something and couldn’t afford to get it 20% isn’t enough of a bargain to make me to splash the cash especially as it probably wouldn’t be cash but credit card and then I’d be in debt too.

Ifailed Fri 24-Nov-17 08:37:44

most of it is things like tellies from 2 or more years ago that have been lying around in a warehouse not selling, or bought in cheap crap. 'Sales' are a rip-off now as retail margins are nowhere near what they used to be. If you do find something you were going to buy anyway a bit cheaper, then good for you, otherwise ignore.

TillyVonMilly Fri 24-Nov-17 08:38:57

Loads of Black Friday emails in my inbox too.
The only one I’m interested in is Dyson as I want a new vac but the rest are meh.

Laiste Fri 24-Nov-17 08:56:22

One of my DDs works in a high end retail outlet in a naice shop.

She's know for ages which TWO of her many products were destined for a black friday discount and for the last week or so she's been quietly telling customers interested in either of them to wait till today and come back then. They've been very grateful and are coming back today.

However she has also been honest about what's NOT going into the sale today. People have been all <nod nod wink wink> ''i'll come back for this on Friday .... ay? Friday y'know?'' and DDs been saying sorry, but there's no point that one's not being reduced any further. But they've still said ''Right. OK. See you Friday then.''

DD = confusedhmmgrin

WitchesHatRim Fri 24-Nov-17 08:59:09

Well considering Thanksgiving and Black Friday aren't a UK holiday then probably yes.

CakeNinja Fri 24-Nov-17 09:00:52

I think it's just encouraging to add to the debt problem. All this hype and then it's not even payday for most!

BertieBotts Fri 24-Nov-17 09:07:43

Yes. Having just done a budget I am staying firmly away TBH.

Yeeeha Fri 24-Nov-17 09:08:10

*It's rubbish

10% off....20% at a push

What do you expect? I run a shop and on most of our products if I reduced by 20% it would be costing me money to sell to you, some lines we don’t even have 10% to play with.

TillyVonMilly Fri 24-Nov-17 09:16:00

I wonder how much money would actually be spent today if people couldn’t pay with credit cards?
My step mum used to work for citizens advice and she would say how busy it was after Christmas when people realised how much they’d spent but couldn’t afford

magicstar1 Fri 24-Nov-17 09:21:40

Some of the stores have been putting prices up quietly so they can come up with a big drop for today.
One woman I know had an online order for Smyths the other night, and in front of her eyes, the prices all increased by about €10 each. Bet they'll all go down again today. A pair of Nike runners were €35 in the Outlet store two weeks ago...have a special offer of "only €90" today.
It's ridiculous...and illegal.

ShowOfHands Fri 24-Nov-17 09:23:31

What the what now?

That's quite possibly one of the most short sighted and mind boggling things I've ever read on here. And I remember JudgeFlounce.

TroysMammy Fri 24-Nov-17 09:26:19

The Black Friday discounts in one shop yesterday were the crappy clothes on the sales rack. The current styles, normal price.

ShatnersBassoon Fri 24-Nov-17 09:31:34

I bought an expensive gaming PC this morning at a big discount. I'd been keeping an eye on the price at a couple of retailers for months so I know the Black Friday discount is genuine.

It really depends what you're in the market for. Clothing and high street stores' attempts at promotions seem to be a waste of time, but large electricals and expensive tech can be real money-savers.

TheNaze73 Fri 24-Nov-17 09:40:07

Lobby your MP to get it in the next budget. grin

It’s down to supply & demand & retailers can charge what they like. Shop elsewhere if you don’t like 10%

BarbaraofSevillle Fri 24-Nov-17 09:42:29

I'm slightly irritated because a month ago we paid £590 for a Leesa mattress and now the Eve one that is similar is a couple of hundred pounds cheaper and it didn't occur to me to wait for Black Friday so have missed out on a decent saving for once.

AtlanticWaves Fri 24-Nov-17 09:46:05

I've just sorted DS2's clothes for this winter and next - with a 40% discount off everything so I'm very pleased.

However it's an online shop that always seems to have some discount running so I almost never buy anything full price. 40% off is good though. Plus an extra 5€ Off for signing up to a newsletter I can then cancel

WestRyderPauperLunatic Fri 24-Nov-17 09:55:58

I went into The Body Shop yesterday to spend a voucher and discovered they're doing 40% off. Was able to get loads of stuff for the value of my voucher BUT the sales assistants were very pushy and annoying. Don't think I'll shop there again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now