Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Good school, bad class

(8 Posts)
Codlet Fri 24-Nov-17 06:15:18

My three DC all attend / used to attend the local primary school. DC1 has left and is now at secondary.

I really like the school, and DC1 and DC2 have had a great experience there. Unfortunately DC3 (age 8) is a different matter. He’s in a class which has a small group of unpleasant, badly behaved boys who are having a serious impact on the class. The school are aware of this issue and have been trying to deal with it for a long time now (sanctions for the boys concerned, extra TA help in the class) with some success.

The problem is that, although the boys aren’t getting any worse, the demographics of the class are getting worse as one by one all the ‘nice’ boys in the class are removed to other schools. DC3 has two good friends in the class but I know that one set of parents have decided to move their son at the end of this year and the other set are seriously considering it. Another two of his friends have already been taken out.

DC3 is doing fine. He’s never been personally targeted by these boys - he’s physically tall and strong and good at sport, which probably helps - and he’s happy and making good progress. But I’m worried that if his two friends leave he will be left with hardly any choice of ‘nice’ friends.

WWYD? It seems silly to move him when he’s fine. But it also seems pointless to leave him in a class which I know is not great when he could be having a better experience at a different school. What do you think?

Wilberforce42 Fri 24-Nov-17 07:51:26

Do they mix the classes up at any time or is it one class entry?

Codlet Fri 24-Nov-17 08:17:04

Single class entry.

Trampire Fri 24-Nov-17 08:21:53

What yr is he in?

I do know someone who had 4 children go through the same primary school (our school) and then removed her fifth ds for Y5 because she didn't feel it suited him. It worked out fine,

Trampire Fri 24-Nov-17 08:22:16

Sorry missed his age in the OP.

PeteAndManu Fri 24-Nov-17 08:31:35

In the exact same position and I’m considering moving mine. There is a group of boys (same boys for the past 2/3 years) who target children. They picked on one boy pretty much for the whole of he last year and another boy before that. They had a stint picking up mine. The whole set up is toxic -it’s a mix of physical stuff and exclusion. The school are starting to look at this as a whole issue but a lot of parents are now really pissed off with the situation. My son deserves to have a great time at Primary the same as his brother and sister. They have a limited time to sort this out, i’m willing to work with them but I’ll be keeping the pressure on. The only things stopping me is that it is a village school and my oldest has a great time out of school with all the children in the village and there are no spaces in his Year in other local schools. It would mean going private.

Foxyloxy1plus1 Fri 24-Nov-17 08:39:35

It does happen that there are classes that just don't 'gel' and have some challenges. My DS was in one and it was the same all through primary. One child was eventually permanently excluded.

I would ask what your DS thinks. I don't think that he can make the decision at the age of 8, but I do think he will have an opinion. He must be in Year 3 or 4, so at leat two and a half years left in primary.

Do you have another school in mind? Would there be anyone he knows there?

PeteAndManu Fri 24-Nov-17 14:47:42

I think reading about his friends moving I would definitely consider it - at least look at the options in a bit more detail. I know he is making good progress but if a lot of the teacher’s attention is on managing behaviour there will be less teaching done.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now