Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Do I want surround sound or a sound bar?

(12 Posts)
ByeByePrivacy Thu 23-Nov-17 19:17:51

Current awesome surround sound 900w is dying. Do I want another surround sound or a sound bar? As they didn't exist last time I bought one, but I do love watching in full surround sound which I guess you don't get with a bar?

Bella8 Thu 23-Nov-17 21:07:34

Surround sound is better than a sound bar. If you just want a little bit of enhanced sound for your tv than a sound bar would work fine. However if you want to watch movies and have the cinematic affect than surround sound is def for you.

Penguin27 Thu 23-Nov-17 21:09:32

I don't have the answer but wanted to say thanks, OP! We need to boost the sound from our TV so watching with interest.

nocake Thu 23-Nov-17 21:48:59

Surround sound is better but you have to fiddle around with cables and finding places for the speakers (although that might not be a problem if you're replacing an existing system). Sound bars will give you much better sound than the TV speakers but if you really enjoy watching films with full surround sound I wouldn't bother.

dingdongdigeridoo Thu 23-Nov-17 21:57:11

Surround sound is ok if you have lots of space. It’s a lot of speakers and they can look cluttered unless you get a posh one.

I like our sound bar. It takes up hardly any space and sound is decent for our average sized living room.

Scribblegirl Thu 23-Nov-17 22:00:10

We've just got the new Sky one which is meant to be a balance of both (I think... more DPs domain than mine!) We're very impressed with the surround so far and if you're already a Sky customer its not horrendously pricey.

Killerqueen2244 Thu 23-Nov-17 22:03:19

If you like your movies get surround sound, yes they’re more cluttered but sound bars just don’t have the depth. We’ve got the sonos set-up (having had to return our faulty LG system) and it’s ok but too expensive for the tv sound quality. We had a 5.1 surround sound and amp and it was far superior.

ByeByePrivacy Sat 25-Nov-17 21:47:32

Thanks all. @penguin27 definitely get surround sound. Had it for nearly 10years. Speakers are tiny and wired just fit under furniture. Yes the sub is big, but man it makes a difference.
With any Chanel showing HD TV the programmes also come in surround sound as well, so game of thrones, walking dead, films, it just fab. I struggle to watch friends TVs with no surround sound. Also can connect play station/Xbox so can hear people firing at you behind if that's what they are doing.

Justabadwife Sat 25-Nov-17 21:51:24

It seems like you would miss your surround sound if you didn't replace it.

We had surround sound but the speakers were quite big and annoyed the hell out of me, so I got rid of it.
We have a sound bar now, It's good and boomy but nothing like surround sound, but it's Bluetooth as well so I connect my phone to it to listen to youtube. 😁

Penguin27 Sun 26-Nov-17 09:42:57

Thanks privacy! It definitely does sound like the better option... although both look quite pricey!

yasmin05 Sun 26-Nov-17 09:47:18

I'd say get a surround sound. The sound bar no matter how good the sound is, it still comes from one direction and it's nothing like the one where you get sound from all corners.

Zoesweet Sun 26-Nov-17 10:09:11

I'd say whatever works best for you. if you can easily lay out the speakers in all four corners then surround if you want an easy install then go for the bar. either way you'll enjoy it cause both have good quality sounds if you get the best brands.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now