Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Just discovered carers stole all MIL's jewellery.

(32 Posts)
endofthelinefinally Thu 23-Nov-17 19:00:51

She was of the generation and culture that put all her savings into jewellery.
It is too late to do anything about it now as it happened years ago.
These people are evil. sad

inchyrablue Thu 23-Nov-17 19:01:49

How can you be certain it was the carers?

Gammeldragz Thu 23-Nov-17 19:02:04

That's awful, I'm so sorry. Is MIL aware?

Gammeldragz Thu 23-Nov-17 19:02:44

Was it several people or just one?

Itsonkyme Thu 23-Nov-17 19:02:53

That is unforgivable! Hope they rot in hell...

Fekko Thu 23-Nov-17 19:04:08

How did you find out? Can you be sure? Mums eternity ring disappeared when she died and she always wore it. We have our suspicions...

Tinselistacky Thu 23-Nov-17 19:04:49

My aunt's carer scammed her of all our family antiques and the proceeds of her house sale.

DeloresJaneUmbridge Thu 23-Nov-17 19:05:37

How did you find out?

My great grandmother was robbed blind by Carers but this was a long time ago in the days when there were few checks done on Carers....early 1970s.

It came to light when my Mum looked after her for a while and realised what was happening. Awful that people will take advantage of those very vulnerable.

Fekko Thu 23-Nov-17 19:07:31

Isn't it awful? I know one chap whose career doped him up to the eyeballs so he could do bugger-all all day, and a woman who wangled a flat out of her patient before the family got involved.

Ttbb Thu 23-Nov-17 19:07:35

It may not be too late to report them to the police. Check the limitation period.

DeloresJaneUmbridge Thu 23-Nov-17 19:07:45

I am a Carer rand do the job for he absolute love of it. I would never ever take anything from anyone. Awful thought that people you put your trust in would do something so awful. As a Carer you are in a position of trust,

Fekko Thu 23-Nov-17 19:08:26

Sadly you just don't know who is trustworthy until it's too late.

endofthelinefinally Thu 23-Nov-17 19:09:08

She has passed away.
I just found all the certificates.
FIL said the carer had stolen the jewellery but we couldnt work out what had happened.
It was an agency carer and I think we have insufficient proof.
FIL died recently.
I am so sad and angry.

endofthelinefinally Thu 23-Nov-17 19:13:06

My dad's carer emptied his bank account. He gave her the PIN to get cash out for him.
She then tried to get him to sign his bungalow over to her but we found out in time
We couldnt get the money back because he gave her the PIN.
Some people are just awful.

Fekko Thu 23-Nov-17 19:15:50

There's a special section of hell for people who do this.

endofthelinefinally Thu 23-Nov-17 19:15:53

We dont know who it was or exactly which day it happened.
I just feel sad tonight becsuse I have been sorting out her belongings.
She never liked me and we didnt get on, but I still feel angry because she was ill and someone stole from her.

Daffodil397 Thu 23-Nov-17 19:17:57

Ring adult social services. Even if you contracted the carer privately they can investigate on your behalf, getting police involved, and liaising with the care agency to see if the carer can be identified, if she is still working, if other concerns have been raised.
If you don’t want to call social services please at least call the manager of the agency to formally report your concerns. She has a duty to notify social services and investigate the matter.
It’s well worth it. I know of one carer where several concerns were raised with not much proof but due to the number of concerns police got involved and she was also prevented from working in that capacity again.
I’m really sorry that happened to your family, jewellery is valuable but it is also holding precious memories for your family. The person concerned needs to be stopped.

Daffodil397 Thu 23-Nov-17 19:20:30

What?? Just read about your FIL as well. This is a criminal matter. No problem that you are vague on dates/person, you must report this. The agency should have info about who was rota’d to work with your PIL and they should investigate each staff member. This is really serious and I’m so sorry it happened to your family. Xx

SlowlyShrinking Thu 23-Nov-17 19:24:49

I really think you should report this to the police and let them investigate. So sorry this has happened. I sort of work in this area and know some excellent carers

SlowlyShrinking Thu 23-Nov-17 19:25:23

...who wouldn’t dream of doing anything like this.

Kenworthington Thu 23-Nov-17 19:25:42

Oh god this is so awful. My parents discovered this happened with my grandmother and her ‘carers’ after she was moved into a home. Apparently her neighbour saw the carer (and I use that term very very lightly) loading up her car angry this was 17 years ago now and I have no idea what the hell was done about it and why my dad didn’t report to the police. It’s bloody awful

Daffodil397 Thu 23-Nov-17 19:31:37

If reporting to the police, would recommend reporting to care agency and social services as well.
Sometimes police can put these sorts of cases on the back burner/close them, but care agency and social services have a duty to investigate (including liaison with police) and prevent the person working with other vulnerable people even if there is not enough evidence for a police conviction.

Gemini69 Thu 23-Nov-17 19:38:26

this makes me so angry and sickened for your Family OP.. fucking disgusting.. we trust these people with our most precious vulnerable people and they STEAL like dirty sneaky scumbags... and worse ... they get away with it... I'm raging for you .. please report this flowers

whataboutbob Thu 23-Nov-17 19:44:42

I urge you to heed the advice about reporting this. If only so that you and your husband don't just feel like your MIL and FIL were just passive victims. My grandad had Parkinsons and some dementia and he got robbed by someone who "befriended him", it was abroad. I still wish I could harm the guy not so much because of the monetary value, but because of the cruelty inflicted on an elderly vulnerable person.

diddl Thu 23-Nov-17 19:53:58

"FIL said the carer had stolen the jewellery but we couldnt work out what had happend."

So you didn't believe him?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now