Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

First phone for ds(10) - contract or not?

(13 Posts)
cheminotte Thu 23-Nov-17 18:41:05

I was planning on getting DS a phone sometime before he started secondary, probably for his 11th birthday a few months before. But he's been asking for one since just after his last birthday so Christmas is now the plan.
I don't think he needs one yet, so it's really just to get him used to it before he does need it iyswim.
Is it better to get a cheap one on a contract that can be upgraded later or buy the phone outright and get Giffgaff or similar?

I have a very old iPhone on a £7 sim only contract so no idea what options are available.

TeenTimesTwo Thu 23-Nov-17 18:49:54

Our whole family is on PAYG.
For my DDs they have had to fund their phone use out of pocket money. Helps them a) stay off phone and b) learn to budget.

Work out rules before handing it over, e.g. not in bedroom after Xpm, charge downstairs. Also rules on taking & sending photos. Are you going to allow internet access? How will you control/restrict/monitor?

cheminotte Thu 23-Nov-17 18:52:22

Any tips for rules would be welcome. DP thinks not allowed upstairs at all, as he will just watch videos on it.
I'm not sure if that's fair. I will need to increase the pocket money a lot for him to pay out of it but was going to at 11 anyway.

cheminotte Thu 23-Nov-17 18:53:13

I am completely clueless about security so need to swot up. No internet would be great!!

BrieAndChilli Thu 23-Nov-17 18:55:06

We are getting DS an iPhone SE for £10 a month all infor unlimited calls/texts and 1GB data.

His phone will be linked to our iTunes account so he won’t be able to buy any apps and any free ones he downloads will need our password so he will have to ask us.
He’s not very sociable so I’m not worried about social media etc at the moment but he knows the rules regarding using the Internet etc.
He will have the same rules as his tablet - not after a certain time in the evening etc.

Missonihoni Thu 23-Nov-17 18:58:27

Defo not contract. The amount of times my mom was lumped with a massive bill puts me to shame. Sometimes I genuinely didn't realize.

TeenTimesTwo Thu 23-Nov-17 19:03:23

We have DD2, 13, phone internet blocked by the provider.
We managed with DD1 to keep it that way until after GCSEs.

DD1 has few critical thinking skills, and DD2 is very young for her chronological age.

I worry that parental controls seem to be much harder to set on phones than on PCs...

cheminotte Thu 23-Nov-17 19:28:00

So EE or whoever have just disabled the internet? Does that include apps like YouTube as well or are they ok once installed?
DS has Aspergers so I do also worry about his social interactions.

BrieAndChilli Thu 23-Nov-17 19:39:28

You can block internet sites. Although I think it’s when on the Home WiFi as DH set ours up so controls were very very strict when the kids got their tablets I couldn’t go on things like the Sun, Cosmospolitan, etc and so DH did something to just my phone to enable me to go on any website.

BrieAndChilli Thu 23-Nov-17 19:41:17

We all have the same paaacode for our phones/tablets etc and so will expect DS to have the same on his phone so that we can access it to check up on him (I don’t think at 11 it’s an invasion of privacy, he’s still a child and so we need to be able to keep an eye on his interactions)

Alpacaandgo Thu 23-Nov-17 19:41:53

We are all on giffgaff. Mainly because it's £5 a month with free calls and texts to other giffgaff numbers, so I know even if they run out of credit they can still contact me.

socialmisfit Thu 23-Nov-17 19:45:29

DH and I are on 02. DS was on Vodafone by accident, because his first phone was my mum's old one, and she'd been on Vodafone

Anyway, he got a new phone for his birthday and I thought it would be an easy job to set up a 3rd account on 02. I couldn't do it online because it didn't work. But when I asked them for an ETA for a website fix, they just said phone or go to a shop, neither of which I wanted to do as I'd have had to find ID, try to remember my passwords from about 20 years ago etc.

So I looked into Giffgaff. It's PAYG but I pay £7.50 a month on a rolling arrangement, it updates every month and includes texts, calls and data. A great deal in my view. I might change over to it for my phone, too. I can't believe 02 won't sort their website out.

cheminotte Thu 23-Nov-17 20:52:29

So is it best to get a new phone or get a second hand one for him to get used to with a better one for his birthday if he looks after it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now