Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Adults and times tables

(114 Posts)
DangerousMouse Thu 23-Nov-17 18:37:59

What proportion of adults know their times tables? I'm just thinking about this as DS is in the process of learning them and I don't have a clue - already my 6 year old knows more times tables than me!
If I said to you 7 times 8, how long would it take you to answer?

AgentProvocateur Thu 23-Nov-17 18:38:59

A nanosecond. They’re ingrained in my mind, and it’s 40 years since I was at primary school.

DangerousMouse Thu 23-Nov-17 18:40:51

oh crap.. even 7 times 4 takes me 10 seconds to work out! Ooops...

moutonfou Thu 23-Nov-17 18:41:08

Lower numbers no problem.
When it gets into the bigger numbers, I do have an instinct, but I have to quickly double check it in my mind blush

LaCerbiatta Thu 23-Nov-17 18:41:19

instant for me too. I thought all adults had them ingrained in their brains!

MomToWedThorFriday Thu 23-Nov-17 18:41:32

56. Literally know everything up to 12x12 by rote! My 9yo hasn’t got it yet but the bottom set year 8s I had today did.

BeeFarseer Thu 23-Nov-17 18:43:02

Nope. Can't do it without saying the entire times table under my breath very quickly.

SteamingPistons Thu 23-Nov-17 18:43:20

Don't know that many. I feel very embarrassed about this

calicoo Thu 23-Nov-17 18:43:30

I’d be able to answer instantly halo but I do work in a school. Please help your children learn them, it’s so difficult when teaching long methods of multiplication and division when children don’t know their tables.
You can get sing a long cds and actually probably access games to help online.

TeenTimesTwo Thu 23-Nov-17 18:44:52

My middle set y8 DD isn't confident with her times tables but she has some SpLD so maybe not surprising. I knew mine when I was 7.
(For fun I factorise the 3 digit barrier exit codes when I go swimming.)

user1493413286 Thu 23-Nov-17 18:45:59

I’d have to count up, I struggled as a child and time passing has not helped

juneybean Thu 23-Nov-17 18:46:28

I'm not very good on my 7x and 8x wish I was.

grasspigeons Thu 23-Nov-17 18:47:44

When I worked with numbers I knew them pretty well. I'm a bit rusty now.

SparkyFire Thu 23-Nov-17 18:49:00

If I said to you 7 times 8, how long would it take you to answer?

About three hours... on a good day.

KindergartenKop Thu 23-Nov-17 18:49:42

Mine are crap. I was in primary school from 1990-97 and attended a very academic private school for part of that time.

allegretto Thu 23-Nov-17 18:52:05

I can't remember much from primary school but times tables are ingrained on my memory we chanted them so many times. Everyone had to stand on their desk and the teacher shouted one at each of us - you could only sit down when you got it right and I was terrified of never being allowed to sit down so I learnt them really quickly!

DramaAlpaca Thu 23-Nov-17 18:55:12

I'd know 7 x 8 instantly, and have immediate recall of all times tables up to 12x. I don't need to work them out, if you ask me any permutation I can give you the answer off the top of my head.

That's because I'm in my early 50s and times tables were drummed into me at school, we had to learn all of them by rote. My dad helped me out by writing them all out in a little notebook and testing me on them regularly.

They've been deeply ingrained in my mind since then, and it's been very useful.

I'll now I'm losing my marbles when I start forgetting my tables grin

Littlefish Thu 23-Nov-17 18:56:05

Mine are very quick, with a couple of wobbles on the 8 times table for some reason. My school has been using the Times Table Rock Stars online challenge to help children get quicker. One child has improved their speed from 9 seconds per question to 1.2 seconds. An amazing improvement!

ParadiseCity Thu 23-Nov-17 18:58:03

I have 12 and 11 yo dc so they are fresh in my mind...

7× 8 is the steps song. '5 6 7 8'

Also

8 x 8
I ate and ate till I puked on the floor
Ate times ate is 64

scrivette Thu 23-Nov-17 19:00:30

I don't know them instantly either, I hated learning them at school and seem to panic when asked. My 6 year olds friends can be faster than me (he hates them too).

Although I do have a decent maths based job - not quite sure how that happened hmm

PepperSteaks Thu 23-Nov-17 19:02:24

I was never taught my times tables. sad. I’m a teacher and I obviously have to teach them and I feel so self conscious and constantly trip over myself when I’m reciting them. I’m so embarrassed sad

halcyondays Thu 23-Nov-17 19:02:44

I know them all instantly, they were well drilled into me in primary school.

CatAfterCat Thu 23-Nov-17 19:03:10

There is a whole generation who don't have instant recall of tables because of the way it was(nt) taught.
When my DC were at school the teachers seemed to fudge around the idea that they should learn their tables off by heart. Daft games and jolly songs are no substitute.
I made DS learn them off by heart the traditional way.

RebelRogue Thu 23-Nov-17 19:08:25

I know most of times tables instantly. Some might take me a few seconds as I haven't used them in ages and i double check. But i know them

katymac Thu 23-Nov-17 19:12:22

My mental maths is quite good - I worked in a shop when sweeties were 113/14/17/18p so I'm quite good up into my 20s - not nanoseconds but pretty accurate

But if you have to use them to keep them working

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now