Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Hidden Figures

(12 Posts)
Council Thu 23-Nov-17 17:34:00

First of all can I highly recommend this film, the best I've seen in a long long time.

Second, it made me sad at the lack of progress since. I wonder how many black, female engineers, computer programmers and mathematicians there are at NASA today?

Hidden Figures

MustRememberTheLInFingerling Thu 23-Nov-17 17:37:27

Our local cinema screened this when if first came out and Guides/Snr Section/leaders along.

Dd2 (10) was really inspired by it and was moved by the injustice both racially and sexually. I watched it with her last weekend and agree it is both horrifying and inspiring!

NineFortySixPM Thu 23-Nov-17 17:40:53

I agree it’s a fabulous film, but if you google the actual characters it’s not very factual at all in terms of the segregated bathrooms etc.

But it’s lovely to see those talented women being celebrated for the amazing things they achieved. I found it empowering for all women Rather than just black women. And then of course its thought provoking in the same way The Help was. We absolutely should reflect on that racism and see that there’s a way still to go to achieve equality.

Plus Kevin Costner is hot in it blush

Fluffyears Thu 23-Nov-17 17:52:43

That and the help are both amazing films. The scary thought is that segregation was still in existence less than 60 years ago ☹️😵. There is only one race....the human race!

Sadly there are still people out there judging people based on the pigment in their skin....

Whisky2014 Thu 23-Nov-17 17:53:55

One of the best films ever!

InternetHoopJumper Thu 23-Nov-17 18:14:08

I like the film, but I was disappointed that it was so in accurate. I didn't buy the bathroom scene to begin with.

I still mean to read the book. It's better, from what I hear.

ChabuddysPeanutDust Thu 23-Nov-17 18:20:38

Brilliant film. Yes I keep meaning to read the book.

I did 7 years of physics at an all girls school, including sections on getting into space and all the rest of it. These women never came up!

PippiLongstromp Thu 23-Nov-17 18:21:53

Is it on Netflix?

inlectorecumbit Thu 23-Nov-17 18:22:40

Wonderful film, l kind of stumbled into as there was nothing else on. I was not disappointed and DD2 and her BF went and really enjoyed it too.

Wish they would make more like that.

BringOnTheScience Thu 23-Nov-17 18:29:29

Fortunately, there are now big schemes across many STEM fields to encourage greater equality in race, gender, economic backgrounds, etc. Science has too long been perceived as being for middle-class white guys. Change us happening. Slowly. But it's happening.
Increasing numbers of role models is helping too. Eg Mae Jameson en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mae_Jemison

Cavender Thu 23-Nov-17 18:32:00

I’ve had a quick look.

It’s about 30% female workforce at NASA overall although some sections are as high as 50%.

I understand that the current astronaut training class has 50% women.

Ethnic minorities employed by NASA (both sexes) is about 30%

Fixmylife Thu 23-Nov-17 18:44:12

Lego have a 'Women of NASA set', really tempted to buy it for me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now