Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

I need to sell my dresses.

(28 Posts)
myshinynewusername Thu 23-Nov-17 16:15:42

Does anyone know where I can sell my two designer dresses quickly?

My DS2 is in hospital and will be for a few weeks more, and I need to get some quick cash, because I am losing earnings and having to pay for parking - plus travelling back and forth to see DS1. Its left me pretty short.

I have tried selling on my local facebook selling pages, but no joy. To be honest, they are full of sellers, but not so many buyers. sad

I have rang around all the pawnbrokers in our town and none of them will take them.

I would do ebay, but I need the cash asap. Does anyone know where I could sell them?

p.s I'm not looking for charity, I just want to sell these dresses.

Thanks in advance.

Cloudyapples Thu 23-Nov-17 16:18:44

eBay, vestaire collective

LIZS Thu 23-Nov-17 16:18:50

If newish and in good condition try a dress agency.

myshinynewusername Thu 23-Nov-17 16:20:49

We don't have any dress agencies in our town.

I will google vestaire, thanks.

SleepingStandingUp Thu 23-Nov-17 16:21:23

See if your hospital does any kind of parking scheme. I know at ours if theytook their ticket to be validated they got it cheaper?
Also look into Family Fund if hospital will support to help with costs. if you are eating there, check if they do a discount card to pay staff prices - again, ours did if you were in over a week I think or in parent accommodation.

Sorry, no experience of posh frocks. Lots of experience of hospital. Hope your DS recovers quickly

Oogle Thu 23-Nov-17 16:22:25

I can't help with the dresses but can the hospital give you a parking pass that allows you to just pay for 1hr? We were given one when my Grandad was in for a few weeks. It's worth asking. Sorry you're in this situation x

Didiusfalco Thu 23-Nov-17 16:24:32

Could you do a very short auction on eBay? Maybe with a buy it now price too? I’ve found that if the item is desirable then I’ve got rid of things very quickly. I think other online sellers like gumtree are a bit hit and miss.

So sorry that you find yourself in this situation flowers

myshinynewusername Thu 23-Nov-17 16:26:28

My exP (who I am alternating with at the hospital, as he lives in the city where the hospital is) is looking into whether we are entitled to help with parking. There is a woman at the hospital, who is hopefully going to be helping us, but I could still really do with selling these dresses.

Thanks for posting everyone. flowers

myshinynewusername Thu 23-Nov-17 16:28:10

I could try a short auction, although I have very little feedback, (I'm a late starter when it comes to ebay). Would this affect people's willingness to buy?

GrumpyOldFucker Thu 23-Nov-17 16:31:58

What are the dresses?

myshinynewusername Thu 23-Nov-17 16:34:28

I have a Diane Von Furstenberg dress and a Vivienne Westwood Anglomania dress.

DontDrinkDontSmoke Thu 23-Nov-17 16:36:52

Everyone has no feedback to start with.

SilentBob Thu 23-Nov-17 16:37:20

Have you tried Depop?

I hope your son is okay.

OrchidFlakes Thu 23-Nov-17 16:39:12

Maybe list on eBay on short auction with buy it now then link back to here?

VelvetKK Thu 23-Nov-17 16:40:06

Hardly Ever Worn It sells designers goods

Eliza9917 Thu 23-Nov-17 16:46:02

I think PALS should be able to help.

iseenodust Thu 23-Nov-17 16:47:16

Definitely check with the hospital about getting free parking as your DS is going to be in for a period of weeks - they often give you a temporary permit with your number plate on it. flowers

iseenodust Thu 23-Nov-17 16:50:31

Gumtree has a section for selling women's clothes & one of the search options is formal dresses.

Chrys2017 Thu 23-Nov-17 16:52:03

I don't know how much you're expecting to raise, but... for example looking on a few of the sites I can get a RRP £600 Vivienne Westwood dress for around £100.. and the agency takes a 35% commission from that.
www.hardlyeverwornit.com/search_results.php?search_text=&filters%5Bdepartment%5D%5B%5D=1&filters%5Bdepartment%5D%5B%5D=1&filters%5Bitem_type%5D%5B%5D=6&filters%5Bdesigner%5D%5B%5D=158&is_vip_checked=0

extinctspecies Thu 23-Nov-17 16:54:04

Sell on eBay as a Buy it Now.

Those are very good brands and should go in a couple of days if you price them well (do a completed sales search to see what others have gone for, and then proceeded at 10% less than the average).

CheesyWeez Thu 23-Nov-17 16:57:02

I hate that you have to pay in hospital car parks. You're stressed enough as it is when you've someone in hospital.
I get that a system has to be in place to ensure people don't just park there and go shopping/take the train or something but the cost and bother is just wrong. You're not parking there out of choice.
<sorry that was off-topic>

RoganJosh Thu 23-Nov-17 16:58:36

Is it worth dropping the price on the Facebook groups?

myshinynewusername Thu 23-Nov-17 17:01:43

Thanks so much, I will look further into all the suggestions (ebay may be best bet after all).

I am going to exP's parents to see DS1, now. Will check back here as soon as I can.

Thanks again. flowers

Forkrightorf Thu 23-Nov-17 17:53:17

Try Vinted for selling. No seller fees and no auctions. I don’t know how it does for higher end stuff but my high street clothes sell very quickly. Sending best wishes to your DS x

Fluffyears Thu 23-Nov-17 18:05:43

Try vinted they are quite good. A few people may be looking for a Christmas outfit. I think hospitals should validate tickets to charge zero or very little. I understand why they charge as my local one has no charge but a really great bus link to the local town which has limited exorbitant parking.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now