Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Dummy or no dummy?

(23 Posts)
Babababababybel23 Thu 23-Nov-17 15:01:12

Curious as someone told me I should be giving my baby to keep them quiet.
It's no dummy for me as I don't want to get them into an extra thing that you have to break the habit from

LorelaiVictoriaGilmore Thu 23-Nov-17 15:04:34

Errm, well that's not the best reason to give a baby a dummy!

It's recommended as one of the things that they think might help prevent SIDS but I think babies should ideally stop by about 12-18 months as it can effect the development of all the muscles around the mouth and jaw. Ds didn't have a dummy - my mum's a speech and language therapist and was very against him having one - but to be honest he was just never very interested. I think there are so many new things that one has to get a child used to, one more doesn't really make much difference!

cjt110 Thu 23-Nov-17 15:17:13

We didnt want our son to have one. We got to him being about 2 weeks old and nothing would settle him so we tried a dummy. It worked really well and soothed him.

LurkingHusband Thu 23-Nov-17 15:24:42

MrsLH and I followed both our DMs lead, and didn't use a dummy. As DDs dentist was able to tell us. All I know is my DM was very anti-dummy. Not sure what the rest of the world was doing in the 60s ...

PinkHeart5914 Thu 23-Nov-17 15:26:27

We didn’t want ours to have one as it’s just another habit to break, so they’ve never had one. You do not need to give a child a dummy to keep it quiet confused

peanutbutter310 Thu 23-Nov-17 15:33:54

My DD wouldn’t take one, despite many attempts in the newborn days when she would cry uncontrollably for no apparent reason every bloody time we left the house.

In hindsight, I’m really glad, as she eventually learnt to settle herself in other ways. A much easier lesson at 3 months than at 2 years once the habits are really ingrained.

Schlimbesserung Thu 23-Nov-17 15:51:29

I always secretly wanted to use one, but I never knew how to get them to take a dummy (none showed any interest when offered one) and I was never sure when it was okay to use one. My mum never used one with any of us and was very rude about people who did, so although I slightly envied people whose babies would use them, I wasn't sure what I ought to be using them for, if that makes sense!

Babababababybel23 Thu 23-Nov-17 16:07:08

I like them though as they make babies look even cuter when they have one in grin

ineedwine99 Thu 23-Nov-17 16:11:42

Didn't want to use one but ended up needing to due to reflux, really helped her, she's 15m now and has it occasionally for naps but dropped it at bedtime herself when she was about 6m old, just started spitting it out

OuchBollocks Thu 23-Nov-17 16:16:33

I gave DS one when he was 4 weeks old in hospital crying his heart out and I couldn't pick him up. He uses it for daytime naps only. I don't see it being a problem. DD refused a dummy even when she was crying in the car seat. I don't believe that habits are any harder to break at 2 or 3 years old, imo when they're a bit bigger you can comfort them in other ways and they have a bit of understanding.

CustardDoughnutsRule Thu 23-Nov-17 16:22:09

I've never seen the problem with them. My youngest would never take one though, and with our eldest we went cold turkey at 6m because she lost the knack of sleeping without it. But much easier to break an asssociation with a dummy than with BF or bottle feeding to sleep (IME anyway). Sucking comforts babies and it's an inborn instinct, I can't get het up about babies having dummies.

Silverthorn Thu 23-Nov-17 16:23:39

I think they look awful and I say that as someone who gave ds2 a dummy from day1. He ( and his dummy refusing elder brother) both liked to comfort suck. Ds1 was attached to my breasts almost constantly. He naturally started spitting it out and losing it in bed about 10mo at which point I ditched them. It was a harder for me than for him to ditch them. It does not affect feeding because they spit it out when actually hungry and cry. I prefer to ditch a dummy than try and pry a thumb off a child. I do judge parents of 2plus year olds with dummies. halo

Shnazzyshot Thu 23-Nov-17 16:35:01

Neither of mine had them. I'm not exactly anti dummy but it must be quite upsetting when a baby/toddler has their dummy (something they get comfort from) taken away from them because their parents decide thy don't want them to have it any more. Obviously I know some kids give it up themselves but most will have it taken off them by adults.

Ttbb Thu 23-Nov-17 16:37:59

We didn't use them. Haven't had any issues with thumb sucking or anything else.

MotherWol Thu 23-Nov-17 16:38:36

Just to add that while the logic of developing a habit is reasonable, it's easier to wean a child off a dummy than their thumb. DD never took to dummies but found her thumb very early on, and I suspect it will be much harder to break that habit than to wean her off a dummy, plus it's potentially more damaging to their teeth.

SemperTemper Thu 23-Nov-17 16:41:21

My baby wouldn't take one and used me as a dummy instead for 14 weeks. We couldn't put her down unles she had been fed to sleep, and she would often get upset when we were out and about and it was difficult to get her to calm down.

She took dummy for real first time a few days ago. Honestly, it's like having a different baby. I can put her down for a nap while she's still awake and she will send herself off to sleep. Same at night, she will happily go down for the evening.

I feel like the trade off of future potential dummy-removal angst is totally worth it for the little dream-baby I now have!

SemperTemper Thu 23-Nov-17 16:42:43

Pardon the errors in my post blush

SemperTemper Thu 23-Nov-17 16:45:13

Totally agree with the dummy vs thumb logic upthread!

howthelightgetsin Thu 23-Nov-17 16:45:37

Dislike them. It might have been useful because DS has reflux and used to feed all day and night for comfort and throw up, but I hated the idea of a piece of plastic in his mouth as a way of soothing him. It’s such a short time the babies are such such hard work anyway but then you’ve got one and have to get rid and can take years.

ProseccoMamam Thu 23-Nov-17 17:02:50

Depends if your LO is quite whiney? My two boys were more content with a dummy but I took them away at 6 months old. It helps lot with babies who need to settle themselves and keeps them content so you can get things done. The problems only happen when the child has a dummy for a prolonged period of time. As a baby it can prevent SIDS, and helps soothe a baby. But as baby is learning to speak it can hinder speech development. So if you feel your child would benefit from a dummy then get one, but make sure to take it away (and replace with a different comfort) early on

If you do give a dummy, it helps to also give a muslin or cellular blanket for them to hold so when you take the dummy away they still have the blanket as comfort - which of course is much much easier to wean from and doesn't hinder development in any way

Itsonkyme Thu 23-Nov-17 17:10:25

Definitely, give them a dummy. It is Mummy's little helper and it soothes them. You only have to look at the change in their little faces when they are upset and you give them a dummy to know that its the right thing to do.
My son had one almost from being born but my daughter just wouldnt.
If a dummy gives them comfort, why wouldn't you give them one.

user4321 Thu 23-Nov-17 17:18:43

i'd say give a dummy if they will take to think. They can really help quickly settle to sleep/nap and can be a godsend at other times when they are little and need comfort or suddenly become hysterical - think traffic jam, motorway, flight, supermarket queue etc.

user4321 Thu 23-Nov-17 17:27:04

We were away in India visiting friends recently and a couple we met have a 10 week old who is a constant thumb-sucker. they don't like the thumb sucking and asked us if there was any 'medicine' available in the UK to prevent thumb sucking. I have suggested a dummy - she has took advice from her doctor there who has advised against it because of the teeth issue, and also it can cause feeding problems. I think at 10 weeks and EBF already established i don't think she would have any feeding problems at this stage, and the thumb sucking and dummy would have the same effect on teeth. Would i be wrong to go back and say this?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now