Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Any physios or anyone who knows about back pain about?

(14 Posts)
Mrsfloss Thu 23-Nov-17 13:35:46

I visited physio last week who said all fine you just need to stretch.

On gp referral they have stated

Significant loss of range lumbar spine capsules pattern

Sj provocation tests Bilaterally positive

Weakness in gluteal muscles

Is this nothing to worry about?

I’m in chronic back pain

goldierocks Thu 23-Nov-17 14:00:18

Hello OP...sorry to hear you're in pain, it sucks flowers

I'm not a medical professional, but I did have a bad accident resulting in a major surgical reconstruction effort (titanium rods and bolts) of my lumbar spine. I still have weekly physio.

Are you sure it says SJ and not SI?
'Positive provocation' means it hurts when you move or are touched in that area. The 'loss of range....' means you have restricted movement.

You have 3 gluteus muscles in your bottom area. Do you have pain there in addition to weakness? If so, that would make me think 'sciatica'.

Sounds to me like your physio wants to stretch/open your spinal column to relieve pressure from a disc or discs. Were you given a daily exercise regime to follow at home? Those exercises are really helpful, but IMVHO you won't see a difference for 2-3 weeks.

If you don't see any improvement after that time, I'd ask for a referral for an MRI scan.

I find heat works best on the days I have most pain, other folks prefer cold (bag of frozen peas in a tea-towel). Nurofen Plus is ok for light pain days, but I have stronger painkillers for when I'm bad.

Hope you feel better soon.

Mrsfloss Thu 23-Nov-17 14:12:38

Thanks goldie!

It doesn’t affect my legs though or bum. It’s defo my back.

Its miserable! Wonder why the physio didn’t tell me what he wrote in gp letter. He just said it’s fine stretch it!

Fluffymonkey Thu 23-Nov-17 14:29:10

It’s nothing to worry about, just means you are stiff and need to get moving, a little irritable and weak in your bum muscles. It’s just a different way of talking to another medical professional. If you are concerned call back and have a quick chat with the Physio 😊

Mrsfloss Thu 23-Nov-17 14:43:41

I’m in so much pain though! It’s not just stiffness

Fluffymonkey Thu 23-Nov-17 19:35:32

You asked if the language the Physio used was something to worry about. I’m saying it’s not. I’m sorry that you are in pain, here’s something that might help.
www.csp.org.uk/your-health/healthy-living/public-information-leaflets/back-pain-myth-busters

Mrsfloss Thu 23-Nov-17 20:11:17

Thank you @fluffymonkey that’s useful.

Turns out I have UTI which was making it worse than normal.

I’ve lost a bit of weight does this mean I’m skinny fat and it’s just strength and muscle?

I walk loads, been trying to run to tone up and that’s when back pain increased

Wolfiefan Thu 23-Nov-17 20:13:37

Don't run with a bad back! I made that mistake. How is your core? I had pain due to slipped discs and arthritis. Also weak glutes and core too.
Keep walking. Try heat? Tiger Balm helped me. Avoid sitting for prolonged periods.

Mrsfloss Thu 23-Nov-17 22:48:23

Core is weak. I really to get strong

Thewolfsjustapuppy Thu 23-Nov-17 23:00:36

A UTI will refer pain to the back which may be why it hurts so badly at the moment, I hope you are getting treatment for that.

It is unlikely that you actually do have weak gluteal muscles, if you can stand up from sitting your bottom is doing just fine but pain will inhibit them and make them seem weak.

When you say you have chronic lower back pain do you mean it’s severe? In medical speak chronic means it’s been there for more that 8 weeks. This is important because if your pain only onset recently and isn’t the result of a UTI then moving and stretching is the best advice. Have you considered yoga for backs? It will help with things like core strength as well as stretching and moving.

Wolfiefan Thu 23-Nov-17 23:14:47

Yep. Same here. Core was woeful after split muscles in pg. My bum muscles were basically on strike too! I think I compensated and that messed up the back.
Core work (I started with exercises from physio) and exercises to make the glutes activate. Lots of walking then progress. But I would ditch the running. Twice I've tried couch to 5K and twice I've ended up in agony for weeks!

jewel1968 Thu 23-Nov-17 23:32:52

Long time sufferer here. Tips that help me:

TENs machine (Boots one is fine)
Massage ( you can use a tennis ball)
Swimming
Stretching ( really important)
Ice
Heat
Hot bath with Epsom salts
Use pillows to raise legs higher than back in bed
Place pillow between legs if lying on your side
I have tried various pain killers over the years - none stand out for me

jewel1968 Thu 23-Nov-17 23:34:48

Oh and with swimming - not breast stroke. Only do back or crawl. I alternate.

Wolfiefan Thu 23-Nov-17 23:44:27

Oh yes. I have spiky balls! A physio thing. A tennis ball rubbed between back and and the wall helps. I also have a roller as my thigh muscles are horribly tight.
The more I move the less I hurt. I'm off all pills at the moment but haven't managed a fitness class for a while and I'm sore now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now