Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Nintendo2DS XL or the Nintendo DS 2DS for 7/8 year old.

(9 Posts)
notgivingin789 Thu 23-Nov-17 11:48:37

Hello !

DS really wants a Nintendo DS for Christmas. His been saving up and I've promised to pay half of the costs towards it.

Don't know which version to get as this will be his first console (not including the IPad).

Nintendo 3DSwitch is ridiculously expensive, so that's out.

I'm leaning towards the Nintendo 2DS as it seems more compact, no hinges. Though looking at the 2DSXL, the screen size seems bigger.

Which version can you all recommend ?

GertrudeBelle Thu 23-Nov-17 11:50:31

My 7 year old (nearly 8) has a standard sized 2DS for almost a year and has loved it. It fits well in his hands (and in my handbag from time to time). It has weathered well and is played with almost every day.

supermanslefttesticle Thu 23-Nov-17 12:14:41

Adult Nintendo gamer here:

You have 5 options:

Standard nintendo 2DS - £79.99
Nintendo 2DS XL - £7129.99
Nintendo 3DS - No longer sold new
Nintendo 3DS XL - £179
Nintendo Switch- £279

In short, you get what you pay for. You standard Nintendo 2DS is a basic handheld console, fine for single person casual gaming, has some multiplayer support if your mates have a console too etc but it's very basic. If he plays franchises like pokemon and mario, you'd be fine with this.

2dsXL: Same as above but a bigger, better screen. In my opinion, nicer to play and kinder on your eyes if you're playing for prolonged periods of time. Overall a better gaming experience.

3dsXL: Nice console, but pointless once the 3d novelty has worn off. Literally the only difference between the 2DS and this is the 3D functionality which gives a lot of people a headache and you'll end up switching off anyway because it's distracting for extended play. All 3DS games can be played on the 2DS just without the 3D effects, so I'd always get a 2ds over one based on price alone, it's not worth it.

Nintendo Switch - Bloody brilliant. The premise of the console is it's a static console that you can take with you as a handheld. I argue it's actually designed to be a handheld you can play on your TV. If your son is 8 he's probably getting into minecraft fairly soon, which you can play on the Switch both on the TV or as a handheld. As a first console, the Switch would be my choice. I know it's more expensive, but compared to a ps4 or xbox 1 (which is the field it's trying to sit in) it's a decent price and has the added handheld functionality which essentially makes it 2 consoles in 1. There's loads of game support from developers outside of Nintendo coming to the Switch, so it's fast becoming the casual gamers console of choice.

If you can stretch, the Switch is completely worth the extra £100 without a doubt and as the 2ds and 3ds are coming to the end of their cycles now, it will last a hell of a lot longer. The number of games available for the DS's will dwindle dramatically next year and Nintendo will have fully phased them out by 2019, so if you're looking for longevity you need a Switch.

If you absolutely can't stretch, I'd go for the 2DSxl smile

supermanslefttesticle Thu 23-Nov-17 12:15:48

Haha typo, nintendo DSXL is £129.99 not £7 grand blush

notgivingin789 Thu 23-Nov-17 12:55:23

Thank Gertrude and wow Superman your definitely a gamer !

DS would prefer the Nintendo Switch and has asked for this, but I think his a little bit young and he doesn't look after his own things very well ! This is the reason why the Nintendo will be his first game console.
I may think about purchasing the Nintendo Switch/ PS4 when his around 10/11 and when he has proven to me he can look after his things by then !

I did prefer the 2DS as it reminded me of the Game Boy but since your saying the 2DSXL is easier on the eye...then I think we are going to go with the 2DSXL.

supermanslefttesticle Thu 23-Nov-17 13:21:03

notgiving good choice smile I agree, the switch is probably a bit delicate for a first console smile the 2dsXL is pretty chunky and not easy to break unless you really try, so probably a good one to start with smile

Does your son have any games he likes to play a lot? May be able to help you find similar titles smile

notgivingin789 Thu 23-Nov-17 13:56:22

Thanks Superman DS currently loves to play; Rayman, Pokemon, Yu-gi-oh.

Floellabumbags Thu 23-Nov-17 14:01:52

The 2ds xl is pretty bomb proof. The games aren't cheap but you can get good deals on used games from CEX.

supermanslefttesticle Fri 24-Nov-17 12:22:53

not aaah a kid after my own heart grin

He'll also love any of the Mario games if he's into platformers, 2DS is perfect by the sound of it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now