Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Name and shame comedy overpriced charity shops

(71 Posts)
TeaR0se Wed 22-Nov-17 22:39:16

My fave today: AllSaints cotton cardi, hole, looks like old dish rag, £75.00. Red Cross shop, Chelsea.

AlpacaLypse Wed 22-Nov-17 22:44:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NashvilleQueen Wed 22-Nov-17 22:45:29

How much would that cardi have been new? It can’t be much more than £75 surely? Disclaimer- I’ve never been in All Saints

Nonotmenori Wed 22-Nov-17 22:47:08

Battered beyond battered nude Christian louboutin heels £80 cancer research Marylebone. Wouldn’t have paid a £1 they were so bad.

AlpacaLypse Wed 22-Nov-17 22:49:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Wooterus Wed 22-Nov-17 22:50:20

£85 for a ten-a-penny hand crank Victorian Singer sewing machine. My eyes nearly popped out of my head. Yes, it's an antique, but every bugger had one so they're worth about £15 if you're lucky. Mind shop, SE London.

elephantoverthehill Wed 22-Nov-17 22:52:57

On the other side of the coin, I bought a Radley handbag and wallet for £50 from an animal charity shop, complete with the outer bag. The charity shops have got to try but they have to be sensible in their pricing. It's generally down to the savviness of the managers.

Noeuf Wed 22-Nov-17 22:55:55

Erm this is a bit of a crap thread idea.

NameChangedAndForgotOldName Wed 22-Nov-17 22:57:29

£10 for a pair of running tights that had been worn by someone a few sizes bigger than on the tag

WitchesHatRim Wed 22-Nov-17 22:59:09

Erm this is a bit of a crap thread idea.

Agreed

HitManHitMan Wed 22-Nov-17 23:00:11

Erm this is a bit of a crap thread idea

Back up then

DrMadelineMaxwell Wed 22-Nov-17 23:03:14

Oooo.... I've got a hand cranked Singer sewing machine still. Wonder if anyone will give me £85 for it.

DrMadelineMaxwell Wed 22-Nov-17 23:03:15

Oooo.... I've got a hand cranked Singer sewing machine still. Wonder if anyone will give me £85 for it.

DrMadelineMaxwell Wed 22-Nov-17 23:03:15

elephantoverthehill Wed 22-Nov-17 23:05:13

I think DrMadeine has a sewing machine or 3 grin

ChanandlerBongsNeighbour Wed 22-Nov-17 23:08:17

Anything from Primark priced higher than it would have cost new!

BillywilliamV Wed 22-Nov-17 23:11:16

If you don’t want to pay the price asked, don’t buy it.

CluelessMummy Wed 22-Nov-17 23:19:27

A thread bashing charity shops? Wow.

Timetogetup0630 Wed 22-Nov-17 23:26:33

I think this thread is a great idea!
Our local RSPCA shop has ideas way above its station.
Whether somthing has a designer label or not, if it's old and worn, it's old and worn.....

WorraLiberty Wed 22-Nov-17 23:28:00

I don't get the name and 'shame' aspect of this thread?

I doubt the managers are stupid. They must know what their customers are willing to pay for these items, so they price them accordingly. If after a while the items don't sell, they'll drop the price just like all other shops do.

It's good business sense.

tectonicplates Wed 22-Nov-17 23:34:51

A thread bashing charity shops? Wow.

Charity shops are not infallible. People have the right to criticise the way they're run.

Notcontent Wed 22-Nov-17 23:45:16

Op - I know which shop you mean! I have been there a few times and agree - crazy, crazy prices!!!

I visit a local charity shop frequently where I still find some things worth buying, but sometimes they have stupid prices on things that are really worn and old but are "designer" !!!

Garlicansapphire Wed 22-Nov-17 23:45:45

Hello! I run a national charity. I'm thinking you missed the point of charity shops. If you want sweatshop pricing go to primark and lidl. Or if you are into recycling go to jumble sales or freecycle.

Or else dont bother with a charity shop. By the way, they use your money to help the poorest people in society. Probably you dont care! Carry on shaming.

Lanaorana2 Wed 22-Nov-17 23:56:41

OK, so your charity doesn't have a retail arm. Correct pricing is the secret to retail success, third sector or otherwise. I work for charities too, unpaid.

Really good idea for a thread - keep 'em coming. It's more than timely because our high streets are becoming only places for coffee shops and thrift stores.

Apileofballyhoo Thu 23-Nov-17 00:01:26

Garlic, I don't see the point in paying ridiculous prices for rubbish, in any shop.

I regularly donate to charity through DD straight from my bank a/c - I'm not going to buy crap just because it's in a charity shop, the money is better going straight to the charity than me bringing home rubbish.

I don't shop in Primark despite not having a huge amount of income for clothing. I check ethical consumer before making purchases to buy from the highest rated companies I can afford. I am also very careful about which charities do get the pittance I can afford.

I certainly wouldn't spend my spare money on overpriced rubbish just because it's in a charity shop. I do support charity shops and will often find good quality bits and pieces. I often just buy books, read and drop them back.

I found your post to be sneering, judgemental and dismissive. People can name and shame shops selling overpriced rubbish all they like. The very fact that they go into charity shops shows they do support the idea of them generally.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now