Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

FlyBe pregnancy rules - HELP!

(20 Posts)
Binglesplodge Wed 22-Nov-17 20:54:17

Booked flights to see my family in a few weeks, when I'll be turning 34 weeks pregnant. I flew at about 35 weeks in my last pregnancy but have only just realised that FlyBe have stricter rules than all other airlines and only allow travel up to 33 weeks.

I'm having an easy healthy pregnancy and the flights (within the UK) are less than an hour each way. What are my options? Has anyone else ever had to fudge the truth?

My due date changed by a week at the 12 week scan: what are my chances of the midwife dating my fit to fly certificate using the LMP rather than adjusted due date? Or am I totally screwed? I don't think we'll get a refund because the mistake was my own idiocy.

Please help!

Binglesplodge Wed 22-Nov-17 21:16:15

Desperate bump...

yowerohotesies Wed 22-Nov-17 21:21:07

I wouldn't.
Do any other airlines do the route?

Binglesplodge Wed 22-Nov-17 21:23:48

Plenty of others do, it's a normal domestic flight but it's booked now because I'm a fool.

How specific is a fit to fly letter? I must have had one last time but can't remember what it said!

babybarbarella99 Wed 22-Nov-17 21:42:16

It's winter. Wear a big jumper and coat! I flew at 33/34 weeks in both my pregnancies and was never once asked for my fit to fly certificate. It's a short internal flight, obviously I wouldn't suggest this if you were going to be in the air for hours.

CotswoldStrife Wed 22-Nov-17 21:47:22

I get the feeling that you are going to take the flights regardless of what is said here, OP hmm

hotwater Wed 22-Nov-17 21:55:24

I flew Flybe at 31 weeks - had my fit to fly certificate all ready to show but no one asked for it. My certificate just said my due date.

Binglesplodge Wed 22-Nov-17 21:56:10

No, not at all: obviously I'm going to call the midwife in the morning and take her advice!

I'm really just asking for other people's experiences or advice to make me feel a bit better about making a cockup that will cost us hundreds of pounds. If there's a way round it I'd love to hear about it but I don't think it's a fair accusation that I'm going to ask for advice and then try to fly regardless.

Ilovelampandchair Wed 22-Nov-17 21:59:02

All you can do is try to get the fit to fly as you want it and if that fails, baggy jumper might work. But you won't know till last minute if they'll let you on. I think also the fit to fly is required from 28 weeks , no? So with a 34 week bump you may well be asked for it.

I flew at 28 weeks a few weeks ago on Ryanair and had my letter but nobody asked anything. My bump is quite big for my timing. Probably not as big as 34 weeks bump though.

Binglesplodge Wed 22-Nov-17 22:03:54

Thanks. I definitely won't turn up without a letter that will cover me - I'm travelling with my family and can't run the risk of winging it. I'm dependant on the midwife I think.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Wed 22-Nov-17 22:05:50

Midwife won’t lie and it’s not fair to ask her; really - the airport could well seek to find her liable if something went wrong and they said they used her letter to allow you to fly. She could lose her medical license for that type of thing.

Binglesplodge Wed 22-Nov-17 22:58:09

Thanks. You're right, of course.

It wasn't a brilliant idea to post this thread: I posted in a panic hoping someone would wave a magic wand but I think I have to take this one on the chin. If I can't get a fit to fly letter then this isn't fixable.

It seems FlyBe is a few weeks ahead of other airlines when it comes to the pregnancy cutoff. Perhaps this will serve as a cautionary tale to others.

babybarbarella99 Thu 23-Nov-17 06:10:13

In all honesty, if you call them really nicely and play the 'slightly upset pregnant lady' card and explain about your due date being changed/pregnancy brain they might just refund you. It's certainly worth a try.

I was being flippant above and although I really don't think there is much risk with such a short flight, I am generally a play by the rules sort of person too and wouldn't really have the nerve. I travelled by overnight ferry at over 30 weeks and had to spend ages checking the small print of travel insurance policies when I realised the possible implications of being stuck in the middle of the sea and going into labour. Good luck

Jinglesplodge Sat 23-Dec-17 17:57:33

Just an update from the Christmas name-changed OP.

My midwife was happy to date my fit to fly letter using LMP instead of adjusted scan due date, so I had a valid letter covering my dates of travel. In the end, nobody asked to see it for either outward or return leg so it was all a bit irrelevant!

NellWilsonsWhiteHair Sat 23-Dec-17 18:08:45

Lovely outcome OP! Really pleased for you.

hiyasminitsme Sat 23-Dec-17 18:17:24

Lucky nothing went wrong. MW could have been struck off.

Jinglesplodge Sat 23-Dec-17 18:29:21

No she couldn't. The fit to fly letter asked her to give the date of LMP, which she did. Seems like everywhere has a different system but at our hospital it's basically a printed form that she just fills in the blanks.

hiyasminitsme Sat 23-Dec-17 19:03:53

The official due date is the agreed one which from what the OP says was from the scan. It would have been clear from the OP request that she wanted the letter to get round the airline's rules. The MW was naive, she could have got into big trouble if the circumstances of the letter came out and it wasn't really fair to ask her. good that nothing went wrong.

TheReferoo Sat 23-Dec-17 19:41:54

Honestly? If you’re that worried about it hide your bump (chances are you won’t wven be asked) but in case you do, you can so easily forge a fit to fly letter with a fake date. Mine was just typed by my doctors and had their address stamped on it. Even if you type the address and fake a signature I am telling you now, if they even look at the letter (mine were never checked in any of my oregnancies and I fly a lot) they won’t double check its authenticity. At 35 weeks in all likelihood you’ll be absolutely fine. As long as you have insurance that covers you!

TheReferoo Sat 23-Dec-17 19:42:55

Sorry just seen your update - you’ve had a name change fail so didn’t pick up on it! Happy Christmas!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now