Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Is a different meal every day a British thing?

(155 Posts)
RebelRogue Wed 22-Nov-17 19:19:31

Just that really. Where I grew up, we'd have the same thing two or even three days in a row, especially something like soup.
Doesn't seem like anyone does it here, some people I know even chuck any leftovers in the bin because that was the day's meal and they're done with it.
It seems like so much faff especially when so many people complain about how much time it takes, how annoying meal planning is,prep etc.

So does anyone else "recycle" meals for next day at least?

P.S. I do admit I'm lazy.

StealthPolarBear Wed 22-Nov-17 19:20:58

I often have the same thing but I know I am unusual by mm terms as I don't care if any of my meals are hot.

PinkHeart5914 Wed 22-Nov-17 19:21:31

We do cook something else each day, I don’t like eating the same two days running as I find it boring and I like to really look forward to my dinner.
We do however freeze leftovers for another time

RebelRogue Wed 22-Nov-17 19:23:17

Has this always been a thing? Or is it more recent?

ParadiseLaundry Wed 22-Nov-17 19:23:51

DH doesn't like leftovers and would happily put them in the bin. Not on my watch, buster. DS and I often have them for lunch the next day or I would freeze to reserve another day if it's freezable.

MaisyPops Wed 22-Nov-17 19:24:31

I don't recycle the same meal for the same mealtime 2 days running.

I'll eat leftover tea for lunch at work if it's a small portion.

If a full tea portion is left or I bulk cook then I freeze it for another day.

At the end of the month I have a load of freezer meals ready to go.

RescuedByATurtle Wed 22-Nov-17 19:25:28

No. My DH (not British) thinks that "re-cycling" food is a very British thing and refuses to eat it if I serve the same meal twice in a week. I tend to make double something for me and the DC and eat the second half 2 days later. Saves cooking. What's not to like?

sonlypuppyfat Wed 22-Nov-17 19:25:51

Isn't eating the same thing boring, is it just one big cauldron of food you keep dipping in

AllTheWittyNamesAreGone Wed 22-Nov-17 19:26:08

We tend to have last night's meal for lunch if there is some left

koalab Wed 22-Nov-17 19:26:50

I cook food to last a few meals. I was gobsmacked when I'd cooked for inlaws, planning on having some for lunch the next day, and they served it all up. When I asked where my leftovers were they said they had thought my portion sizes were big! They don't like waste but don't understand leftovers confused

longestlurkerever Wed 22-Nov-17 19:27:37

I deliberately make 2 days' worth of most meals. Love having a home cooked meal without the faff of cooking it. Don't care if it's the same as yesterday.

MyDcAreMarvel Wed 22-Nov-17 19:27:39

It's not just British , I have lived it several countries and always ate different meals.
Where do you come from op?

InvisibleKittenAttack Wed 22-Nov-17 19:28:57

It's normal to have something different each night, to make only enough food for each meal as well. ('left overs' and excess food is a recent issue, rather than portions not being enough for poorer families).

Eating the same thing everyday was considered a 'poor' thing to do amongst my grandparents generation.

Most people I know will save up left overs and often re heat for lunches etc, or if there's left over meat,turn that into something else (eg we'd often do roast chicken on a Sunday, then use that in a pie on Monday).

picklemepopcorn Wed 22-Nov-17 19:29:41

Old British tradition was roast on Sunday, mince the meat for shepherd's pie Monday, stew Tuesday etc...

I make a lot of a meal, then tweak it for later in the week. We had roast pork Sunday. It’s gone in a curry tonight. I made chilli Saturday, then put it in burritos with refined bean topping on Monday. We'll have the chilli again on nachos later in the week.

We definitely eat left overs as well. I hate waste.

KittyOShea Wed 22-Nov-17 19:30:10

I often make double to save cooking again the next day but will serve it slightly differently e g chilli with rice day 1 and with baked potato day 2.

Also anything spicy like chilli or curry tastes even better on day 2

Venusflytwat Wed 22-Nov-17 19:30:54

I love leftovers!

RebelRogue Wed 22-Nov-17 19:31:24

Eastern Europe .
Took me ages to figure out the right portions as OH wouldn't have the same food the next day.
Now he just cooks for himself. 😬

NotCornflakes Wed 22-Nov-17 19:32:23

I live alone and will quite often have the same evening meal two or three days in a row, if I've made soup or stew and haven't bothered to freeze any. It gets a bit boring, but it's easy.

VladmirsPoutine Wed 22-Nov-17 19:33:21

It's not a British thing as Brits are not homogeneous as a group.

It's a personal thing. I've lived in many different countries across 3 continents and found people do what works for them.

I can't understand the obsession with meal planning on MN but there we go. Sometimes for dinner I'll have toast with beer and other nights lasagne, or other nights sushi. I like variety so don't like eating the same thing on the trot.

RebelRogue Wed 22-Nov-17 19:33:33

DD has the same meal two/three days in a row. Wonder how long i can get away with it until she cottons on it's not the done thing. grin

RB68 Wed 22-Nov-17 19:34:44

I rarely eat the same exact meal days in a row but do recycle stuff into another meal

RebelRogue Wed 22-Nov-17 19:37:42

@VladmirsPoutine fair enough. It does seem to be the norm though.

GrockleBocs Wed 22-Nov-17 19:38:39

DH and I often have a meal two days running. For complicated reasons we can't all eat the same meal so I often cook for 4 and dish up at least some of it the next day. If I do a roast on a Sunday, leftovers will be part of Monday and Tuesday's meals. Means several days a week where dinner is 4 minutes in the microwave.

BonnieF Wed 22-Nov-17 19:39:32

If I'm making a casserole, a lasagna or a cottage pie, etc, I will always make enough for 2 meals. It doesn't take significantly longer to cook, and we can either eat the extra portions during the following couple of days or freeze them.

Mominatrix Wed 22-Nov-17 19:40:55

We cook something different every day. Sometimes leftovers are made into something else, sometimes they are frozen, sometimes they are eaten as lunch on a non-contiguous day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now