Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Unisex children's clothes on the high street

(29 Posts)
InMemoryOfSleep Wed 22-Nov-17 16:26:38

Does anyone have any tips for where I can find nice unisex children's clothing on the high street? I love Tootsa McGinty, Frugi etc, but at £15-20+ for a top I just can't afford them!

I usually shop at Next or Sainsbury's for convenience, but they're so aggressively gendered - blue for boys and pink for girls - I struggle to find nice things for DS (18 months) that aren't blue/grey/brown etc. And it's not just a case of shopping in the girl's section as well, as most of the clothes are pink/frilly/glittery confused

MagicFajita Wed 22-Nov-17 16:30:06

The littlebird range from Mothercare isn't completely gender specific. Most of it is bright , funky but neutral. I've got a few bits for my newborn from there as I didn't 2ant him in "blue for a boy" all of the time.

Bella8 Wed 22-Nov-17 16:30:13

Mothercare is pretty good and does have some more colourful items such as:

www.mothercare.com/sets-outfits-and-all-in-ones/mummy-and-daddy-all-in-one/LMC024.html?cgid=boys-outfits#sz=12&start=22

jumpyfrog Wed 22-Nov-17 16:31:23

John Lewis have more unisex stuff now. I know some independents I could reel off but they might be too much eg £16 for leggings? Love Tootsa too. I have a 3 yr old son who loves bright colours & while I have found that the baby offer has improved considerably, the toddler ranges are generally all sludge coloured.

I tend to mix independents with a bit of high street.

InMemoryOfSleep Wed 22-Nov-17 16:33:29

I'm thinking I might do the same @jumpyfrog, get some basics from the independents then mix them with nicer bits from the high street. Hoping for January sales!

jumpyfrog Wed 22-Nov-17 16:34:10

I also hate anything that says "I love my daddy", "special boy", "brum, brum" etc so it really limits my choices.

Davespecifico Wed 22-Nov-17 16:34:12

Polarn O Pyret (Swedish brand) from House of Fraser. DD had loads of it when she was little. It also had very good resale value on eBay.

InMemoryOfSleep Wed 22-Nov-17 16:36:53

I just reached meltdown yesterday when I went into Next to get some long-sleeved tees and there was literally nothing for boys that wasn't dull colours with horrible slogans angry

jumpyfrog Wed 22-Nov-17 16:37:06

h&m tend to have some gems amid the chaos, I found 2 really cool jumpers on my last visit.

Bella8 Wed 22-Nov-17 16:37:18

Asda have some bright clothes on too I got DS a pack of bright jazzy tops in the kids section: see link below

direct.asda.com/george/kids/tops-t-shirts/2-pack-monster-long-sleeve-tops/GEM568736,default,pd.html

Bella8 Wed 22-Nov-17 16:37:27

in*

KindergartenKop Wed 22-Nov-17 16:37:46

I'd agree, h and m is good.

roobrr Wed 22-Nov-17 16:38:40

Zara x

FoxtrotOscarBackToEconomy Wed 22-Nov-17 16:40:16

Not cheap, but I've had some lovely things from Toby Tiger which is available from House of Fraser. I've also had good stuff from Polarn O Pyrethrum.

InMemoryOfSleep Wed 22-Nov-17 16:40:45

Ooh I didn't think of H&M, we don't have one nearby but will look online. I love the Polarn O Pyret stuff as well, but it's still really pricey (I think so anyway, or am I being unrealistic?!)

jumpyfrog Wed 22-Nov-17 16:41:12

Re brands I love, mini rodini & bobo choses, but these are expensive but you can pick up pieces on sale, mini rodini better quality. I also like smaller brands turtledove london, papua, indikidual & little kitt.

MotherWol Wed 22-Nov-17 16:41:37

H&M is generally quite good, but I can generally only find the things I want online, not in store. John Lewis is usually great, Zara (online and instore) has lots of fun things and wasn't as expensive as I'd feared. I tend to get basics/nursery clothes from Matalan and Primark and mix and match with fun colourful things.

jumpyfrog Wed 22-Nov-17 16:42:18

papu not papua!

Bella8 Wed 22-Nov-17 16:43:59

I always find h and m on of the least colourful baby clothes stores to be honest...I've never had much luck there. J much prefer mothercare or the odd supermarket kids section from 1yr. I don't agree with buying labels and paying a bomb as they grow way too fast

Bella8 Wed 22-Nov-17 16:44:11

One*

jumpyfrog Wed 22-Nov-17 16:46:45

With the more expensive stuff I do find they wash better/nicer quality so still fine to pass onto my next child. I also find leggings can fit for longer as you can buy them bigger, pull them up high or fold the bottom etc. My son who's tall can still wear some of his 2-3 stuff.

Bella8 Wed 22-Nov-17 16:52:03

I disagree I found the more expensive stuff I bought was been small fitting and shrunk in the wash. I've actually found cheap-middle of the range much better and more genourous fitting as my son is very tall and on 12-18 month clothes at 9 months old

Bella8 Wed 22-Nov-17 16:52:51

generous*

Solasum Wed 22-Nov-17 16:55:47

Might be a silly question, but are you checking the girls ranges too? I have bought lots of unsloganed but bright coloured long sleeved tops in H&M and next for my DS. But from the girls’ bit

InMemoryOfSleep Wed 22-Nov-17 16:59:01

@Solasum I checked the girls section in Next and Sainsbury's this week and wanted to bang my head against the wall grin I could barely find anything that wasn't pink or glittery, let alone in bright colours. But I will have a look in other stores as well!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now