Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Can you recommend me a book for an 8 year old girl

(32 Posts)
imaddictedtomn Wed 22-Nov-17 16:15:27

My DD doesn’t really like reading so I’d like to put a book or two in her stocking which will interest her to try and get her more into it.

So any recommendations for an enjoyable book for a girl (not too difficult to read)

Thanks.

educatingarti Wed 22-Nov-17 16:16:24

Try the Judy Moody books.

ASmallBlueberry Wed 22-Nov-17 16:18:39

The Mum Minder by Jacqueline Wilson (for younger children, none of the risky stuff in the JW books aimed at older ones!)

Nancy Drew & The Clue Crew books

Magical Animal Forest books and Sandy Lane Stables too if she's into animals

These are the favourites of my bookworm 8yo DD

LollaLaLuna Wed 22-Nov-17 16:22:55

Betty MacDonald- Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle.

treaclesoda Wed 22-Nov-17 16:24:29

The Tom Gates series of books. Very funny and they are full of little doodles and illustrations and jokes that might appeal to a reluctant reader.

CisCucumber Wed 22-Nov-17 16:26:42

Atticus Claw. World's greatest cat detective got my daughter reading

ItMustBeBedtimeSurely Wed 22-Nov-17 16:27:22

My dd loves Harry Potter, wimpy kid, Ottoline series, Zita the spacegirl (that's a comic book), and anything David Walliams.

Mrsknackered Wed 22-Nov-17 16:28:13

The Roman Mysteries.

duriandurian Wed 22-Nov-17 16:38:59

Ruby Redfort by Lauren Child. Good plots, simple language but long and impressive looking books. And a big series

FucksakeCuntingFuckingTwats Wed 22-Nov-17 16:39:18

My eight year old loves David Walliams, Dork diaries and Jacqueline Wilson.

Pashazade Wed 22-Nov-17 16:44:58

Goth Girl series get her the hard backs they’re gorgeous beautifully illustrated too. By Chris Riddell

SummerLightning Wed 22-Nov-17 16:46:31

Bad Guys and the 13 storey treehouse are much loved by both my 8 year old reluctant reader boy and my 7 year old girl.

expatinspain Wed 22-Nov-17 16:47:25

Marking my place. Looking for the sane for my DD.

SummerLightning Wed 22-Nov-17 16:47:47

Also they love the Beano and national geographic kids. I have also heard good things about phoenix magazine

Pumperthepumper Wed 22-Nov-17 16:49:01

Non-fiction but Bedtime Stories for Rebel Girls is excellent, it’s a page and an illustration of various women throughout history and it’s beautifully done.

TorNayDoh Wed 22-Nov-17 16:49:17

Warrior Cats by Erin Hunter turned my 8yo reluctant reader into someone who has to have her "lights-out" policed, or she'll be up all night reading. It's a series too, so plenty to keep her going.

Babymamamama Wed 22-Nov-17 16:51:22

Diary of a wimpy kid
Tom gates series
Anything by David Walliams or Ronald Dahl
Apparently Jacqueline Wilson are also popular but not with my dd
Old school classics from Enid blyton (if you can get over the generalised sexism/snobbery etc. ). Dd currently loving these and seemingly oblivious to how wrong they are on many levels.

fadingfast Wed 22-Nov-17 18:34:33

The Chris Riddell Ottoline series is great. Not too much text and brilliantly illustrated. I'd also recommend the Worst Witch series and Witch Wars. Also 13 story treehouse series.

thornyhousewife Wed 22-Nov-17 19:06:03

Clarice Bean series by Lauren Child, she's the current children's laureate for a good reason; her work is fantastic.

Anything by Mark Lowery. He's a primary school teacher and won the Roald Dahl funny prize, his books are perfectly pitched for 8 year olds.
www.marklowery.co.uk

Illustrated Harry Potter, although there's only the first three stories available. They are huge and really special looking. Beautifully illustrated on every page, looks more inviting than a paperback novel for a reluctant reader.

Take a look at publisher Nosy Crow, their list for this age group is very good.

thornyhousewife Wed 22-Nov-17 19:10:04

Oh and I'd avoid classics for now tbh. She may be interested later but there's plenty of contemporary gems which she'll hopefully love.

Does she like non fiction? I agree the Goodnight Stories for Rebel Girls is great. Also National Geographic kids magazine and accompanying encyclopedias are very readable. She will want to amaze you with the facts she learns smile

NoSquirrels Wed 22-Nov-17 19:10:17

What is your 8 year old girl into, OP? There's such a huge variation at this age that if you give a general idea of her likes & personality you'll get better recommendations. There are brilliant books in this thread but if your DD wouldn't pick them up it would be a waste.

ginnybag Wed 22-Nov-17 19:18:19

Harriet Muncaster's Isadora Moon series. My almost 8 year old is obsessed to the point of book signings.

They're really lovely books written and drawn by the same lady. The main character is half vampire and half fairy and gets into all sorts of adventures with her pet rabbit and dragon

Bloopbleep Wed 22-Nov-17 19:20:05

My 8yo daughter recommends My headteacher is a vampire rat - she’s read it about four times since we got it in late September

implantsandaDyson Wed 22-Nov-17 19:49:49

At that age mine loved the David Baddiel books, 2 of mine (now 10 and 6) would read or be read to every minute of every day but my eldest just didn’t enjoy it so I treaded very lightly with her - books were never given as a present because to her they weren’t enjoyable. It would be a bit like giving me a box of scented drawer liners. She’s 12 now and has really enjoyed reading for pleasure over the past year or so - God bless YA dystopian novels. What about something like the Wreck it Journal or Finish this Book?

imaddictedtomn Fri 24-Nov-17 22:31:39

Thanks everyone. I’ve gone for Sandy Lane Stables, Atticus Claw, Clarice Bean and My Headteacher is a vampire rat. Hopefully she’ll like them.

I’ve kept a list of the rest of your suggestions and will look out for them at the library when we go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now