Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Help! I've created pavlovs dog in toddler form!!

(23 Posts)
Pinkyponkcustard Wed 22-Nov-17 16:13:30

Posting for traffic 😀

DS is 2 in Jan and healthy and happy in every way but he's still getting up for a bottle (cows milk) every night without fail.

He has supper and a bath, book, bottle, story routine and goes to bed okay most nights (he is a toddler after all)

The middle of the night get up is killing us.

I think we've created a bottle/sleep connection and now I don't know how to fix it!

All suggestions gratefully received. I feel like such a crap parent

GlitterGlue Wed 22-Nov-17 16:22:01

Stop giving him a Bottle in the middle of the night.

GlitterGlue Wed 22-Nov-17 16:23:06

He'll probably mither for a few nights, but be strong.

Uptooearly16 Wed 22-Nov-17 16:28:25

I did this, DD would go to bed with a bottle, then we’d put more in her bed when we went to bed and she started waking up for even more, then she wouldn’t eat in the day. We did it for ages because I had a new baby. A month or so ago I was moaning about her being up in the night and someone I didn’t know well told me I was crazy and just to stop. I did and in that month we’ve had one night of screeching. we still give her a bottle when she goes to bed and I put a bottle with water in when I go to bed which she is drinking less and less of. She might be slightly older (3 I’m december) so might understand more but I wish I’d done it earlier!! Good luck!!

Pinkyponkcustard Wed 22-Nov-17 16:28:53

Thanks glitter - I know that's the sensible thing to do, think I'm just avoiding the obvious.

What about the milk at bedtime? Do you think I ought to try a cup?

Pinkyponkcustard Wed 22-Nov-17 16:31:38

Up too early - thank you for that it's good to hear we're not the only ones and it can be sorted

KindergartenKop Wed 22-Nov-17 16:46:49

Replace milk with bottle of water left in cot. Pavlov will get bored of waking up for that.

NewBigPrinz Wed 22-Nov-17 16:56:01

I was in this exact situation, replacing the milk with water in the bottle sorted it straightaway - LO stopped bothering to wake up after a couple of nights

GuerrillaShoppa Wed 22-Nov-17 17:02:10

I diluted the milk in the night feed with an ever-increasing amount of water over the course of a week so as to gradually wean mine off being used to a feed at that time (rather than going cold turkey straight to water). Good luck!

Pinkyponkcustard Wed 22-Nov-17 17:32:47

Thank you so much everyone- feel a bit teary with everyone's kind suggestions. Damm sleep deprivation!

scatterbrainedlass Wed 22-Nov-17 17:45:21

Go for it, we were the same. 2 year old waking at 4am every morning for milk. We stopped and offered water instead, by the 3rd night he slept through! It wasn't as bad as we expected, we kept putting it off because we couldn't face screaming and tantrums in the early hours. He didn't seem all that bothered!

fleecyjumper Wed 22-Nov-17 17:47:00

Put water in the bottle and he'll soon find it's not worth waking up for. That's what I did.

HawkeyeInConfusion Wed 22-Nov-17 17:50:02

Gradually reduce the amount of milk in the bottle. Eventually he'll decide it's not worth getting up for a couple of sips.

Ttbb Wed 22-Nov-17 17:52:28

We had the same problem. We switched before bed bottle from milk to water. Then once he stopped complaining we switched all bottles to water only. Then we slowly reduced the amount of water until he was going to bed with an empty bottle without complaint and then stopped giving him water bottles during the night and then he stopped waking us. Or you could just leave the bottle by his bed and he can get it himself (this also worked for us before we took him off the milk).

georgie262 Wed 22-Nov-17 17:53:33

I've created a different but not too dissimilar situation: I still put my 2.5 yo dd to bed in my arms with a bottle of milk. I put her in her cot once she's asleep. She always sleeps through and it's never really caused an issue except now m stuck with this bizarre routine 😂

villainousbroodmare Wed 22-Nov-17 17:57:25

Dental disaster in the making.

thenewaveragebear1983 Wed 22-Nov-17 18:18:33

My 2yo still does the night wake up for milk. It is slowing destroying our minds. Soooooooo tired,,

For you who tried the switch to water, did you just switch? Or gradually phase out? Did they put up a fight? We have tried adding less powder gradually but it was a half hearted attempt to be honest, and I feel ready to start again.

CottonSock Wed 22-Nov-17 18:20:17

I switched to water about 12 months. Be strong..

thenewaveragebear1983 Wed 22-Nov-17 18:21:00

I will also add, that by really encouraging him to drink in the day, lots of clapping and cheering when he drinks his water etc, he does definitely seem to improve his night time sleep, so clearly the two are linked. We've just never seemed to achieve the fully sleeping through thing.......

CottonSock Wed 22-Nov-17 18:21:54

How I did it.. baby was breastfed. There was some blips when she was ill with ear infection. Then basically it was water or nothing (I say nothing but cuddles, nappy check, temperature check, calpol were given as needed)

buttwingsham Wed 22-Nov-17 18:29:09

I had exactly the same problem. Ds was waking sometimes twice in the night and so was having two 9oz bottles of milk. He was a similar age and I was like a zombie.
I went to see the hv in the end the conversation went
What do you do at bedtime to get him to sleep?
Give him a bottle and a cuddle.
What do you when he wakes?
Give him a bottle and a cuddle.
What do you think he's looking for when he wake now?
A bottle and a cuddle.
Is he eating well in the day?
Not really.
Why do you think that is?
Too much milk.
What do you think you need to do?

I just needed someone to tell me it was the right thing to do in my sleep deprived state. It took two nights but was actually not that bad. He started eating much better almost immediately.
In all honesty he is still not the best sleeper (3 now) but he so so much better than he was.

fleecyjumper Wed 22-Nov-17 19:39:43

For the past poster who asked: I jut put the water in the bottle.

Pinkyponkcustard Wed 22-Nov-17 20:35:45

Thanks all, I knew mumsnet would know how to get out of this nightmare!

Update - Ds has happily gone to bed with milk in a sippy cup and had a few sips in between books but wasn't all that interested. All good 😊

Going to do the watering down milk routine over the next few nights starting in a bottle and then moving to a kids water bottle which he can have in his cot. We will stay strong!

The new average bear - solidarity!! I hear you!! Hope your little one sleeps through soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now