Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Odd thing happened, wwyd?

(47 Posts)
picklemepopcorn Wed 22-Nov-17 14:38:04

DS2 and his mate, both 17, were asked for help by a man on a mobility scooter. He appeared to have some kind of disability- not simply an elderly or less mobile person. He asked them to pass him his bottle out of the back of his scooter, which they did. My ds was starting to feel uncomfortable as he twigged that the bottle was not the usual water bottle shape...

The man proceeded to urinate in it, pour the urine on the pavement next to the scooter, then gave them the bottle back to put away.

This is unusual, isn’t it? Should I report it to their 6th form in case it is happening a lot? 101? Or am I overreacting?

I wasn’t there, so am not able to be more specific about the man.

And I’m not a troll, honest. It was just pretty weird...

DearMrDilkington Wed 22-Nov-17 14:40:27

Ermm... Why would you report it?

SpringSnowdrop Wed 22-Nov-17 14:41:40

This is definitely weird. I’m not sure what you could do about it but i’d be annoyed as whatever his disability he didn’t feel a need for privacy when it would have been appropriate

MissBax Wed 22-Nov-17 14:47:19

This is unusual, isn’t it? ermmm well yes haha, it's not usual. But there are many odd people around and I wouldn't be that concerned. I mean, the man clearly has some issues but I've seen grown men pissing at the side of the road in broad daylight too?

Justmuddlingalong Wed 22-Nov-17 14:51:34

I can understand the getting the bottle out of his scooter, but I struggle to believe that 2 17 year olds stood and watched while he peed in it.

Bluntness100 Wed 22-Nov-17 14:53:26

Yeah, that’s strange. I guess he effectively exposed himself when your son and his friend were standing there? Was it next to the school?

picklemepopcorn Wed 22-Nov-17 14:54:58

They were a bit gobsmacked to be honest. Brought up to be polite and helpful. They skipped back hurriedly when he poured it out though...

I decided to tell their 6 form, who asked me to tell the police. As they pointed out, it could have been younger children he asked who would have been upset.

To be honest, he's making himself vulnerable- I don’t know that everyone would react as quietly as my lad, or at worst deliberately making children uncomfortable.

MissBax Wed 22-Nov-17 15:08:46

I also find it a bit odd that they hung around after passing him the bottle?

Iamagreyhoundhearmeroar Wed 22-Nov-17 15:11:51

They were so polite they waited till he'd finished and took the bottle back?? What sort of gombeens are they? if this is true

CityOfStars Wed 22-Nov-17 15:16:16

I find it more strange that two 17 year olds stuck around. That's not polite, it's weird.

picklemepopcorn Wed 22-Nov-17 15:18:10

Startled gombeens! (What's a gombeen?) They even turned away while he used it, I now hear.

I think when something so very unexpected happens, you don’t react very quickly because you are taken aback.

I’ve just had a call back from the safeguarding teacher at the six form. They were pleased I’d let them know.

Needadvicetoleave Wed 22-Nov-17 15:26:15

Was you son in uniform?

I work with vulnerable adults, some who use mobility scooters and urine bottles. Many of them can't wait (for privacy or anything else) and so would ask for help to get the bottle and if the person helping didn't then move, just use it in front of them.

As for pouring it out, these things don't come with lids, so there isn't much choice is there!

I suspect the alternative was the gentleman urinating on himself, which he didn't want.

I very much doubt the police will be interested.

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 22-Nov-17 15:31:28

Why can't he use inco pads while he's out so he doesn't have to get his knob out in public?.

picklemepopcorn Wed 22-Nov-17 15:34:32

While that may well be the case, it would have been better to tell the lads what he was doing. “Scuse me, I’ve been caught short, sorry, could you pass me my bottle?” Would have gone a long way to making it less startling for the boys. Not in uniform, no, but my son is very young looking.

Any way, both police and school did want to know despite my hesitation.

I only came on to get some perspective, but my mind cleared as I typed and I decided to inform the school.

As for making it up, if I was thinking of taking up trolling, I’d have gone for more of an escalation, some heated debate, and a developed storyline rather than a quick 'this is weird, what would you do? - actually, I know what to do and I’ve done it.’ Hardly dramatic, is it?

Needadvicetoleave Wed 22-Nov-17 15:37:05

Fluffy never been incontinent have you?

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 22-Nov-17 15:39:54

No, but if I was I'd buy pads. It's the logical thing to do.

bluebell34567 Wed 22-Nov-17 15:40:53

he made them touch his special purpose bottle. I hope they washed their hands.
I will tell my dc don't ever help in that way.
these days you don't know what they are used for.

Chrys2017 Wed 22-Nov-17 15:42:02

The weird thing to me is that he dumped it out on the pavement. Normally one would empty it out in a toilet.

Chrys2017 Wed 22-Nov-17 15:42:51

As for pouring it out, these things don't come with lids, so there isn't much choice is there!

They do come with lids.

WhoWants2Know Wed 22-Nov-17 15:44:29

Inco pads cost a lot of money for someone with a disability. I can think of many clients with brain injuries (post stroke) who would likely do exactly the same as the man in your OP.

Lots of disabilities unfortunately affect things like inhibitions and planning (ie go before you leave). Lots will have no carers (under current budget cuts) to remind them about appropriate behaviour and they would likely forget anyway.

Chrys2017 Wed 22-Nov-17 15:44:54

I've never actually seen one without a lid...

Needadvicetoleave Wed 22-Nov-17 15:47:36

Fluffy pads that hold a full bladder are expensive and very uncomfortable, especially when full. They also increase the risk of moisture legions and therefore pressure sores, especially if not changed as soon as full. it's possible the man cannot change his own pads.

Bladder and bowel services will often only provide either pads OR a bottle. If someone can use a bottle they will not provide pads (as pads are an on-going expense).

Chrys2017 the ones provided by our bladder and bowel service don't come with lids. Maybe other authorities do provide ones with lids, but ours doesn't, maybe his didn't.

picklemepopcorn Wed 22-Nov-17 15:48:02

Bluebell, my lad held their lunches (just been to tesco) and opened the doors, until the other lad could have a good scrub! I think they may be a bit more reluctant to help, in future. Sadly.

Needadvicetoleave Wed 22-Nov-17 15:49:01

Chrys2017 or maybe due to a disability he isn't able to use the lid- either to secure it or when he needs to open it to empty it.

ReggaetonLente Wed 22-Nov-17 15:56:50

I honestly don’t think this is a big deal. Surely they see/stand next to other men weeingball the time in public loos? So it’s not like that’s a brand new life changing experience.

I mean, it’s not normal behaviour, and I’m sure they’ll be telling the story for a few weeks yet. But at 17 especially I’d have just laughed about it!

I think calling the police is a bit extreme and quite bizarre, but if the school says do it then of course you should.

I think it’s just part of town/city life. People are weird. And often pretty disgusting!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now