Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

what's your school charging for the Christmas show?

(53 Posts)
LunasSpectreSpecs Wed 22-Nov-17 10:50:36

Now I know that schools are cash strapped and have to do what they can to bring in money. I do grudge though paying what is being asked by my child's Primary school.

Every child in the school participates in some type of performance at Christmas, some years take on the main parts, some others are just standing on the stage and singing. Approx 375 kids in the school, three different shows. Each show is charged at £5 adult, £2 child. This year I have just one child in one show, but for both parents and their siblings to attend, that's £14. Sometimes they run shows one after the other so you just need one ticket but if you had a child in Infants and a child in Seniors, you could be paying £28 for two shows, before buying tickets for Granny and anyone else who wants to attend.

The Secondary school puts on a Christmas music concert which by all accounts is of a very high standard and charges £4 per ticket. One show.

What is everyone else paying? Sitting through primary "pantomimes" is often akin to water torture and having to pay for the privilege isn't great.

shutitandtidyupgitface Wed 22-Nov-17 10:52:21

Nothing. The idea that I would be expected to pay is bizarre to me, can't see it ever happening.

poooooooop Wed 22-Nov-17 10:53:24

Ours is free too!

LunasSpectreSpecs Wed 22-Nov-17 10:56:20

All schools around here charge, it would be odd to me not to be asked!

QuopQuop Wed 22-Nov-17 10:57:56

Nothing!!

EvilDoctorBallerinaRoastDuck Wed 22-Nov-17 10:58:39

Don't know yet.

DubiousCredentials Wed 22-Nov-17 11:00:41

Nothing.

Saladd0dger Wed 22-Nov-17 11:01:40

Ours usually costs 50p per person

BabyDreams2018 Wed 22-Nov-17 11:05:42

I've never heard of paying for a School Christmas play. Is it a way of cutting down on the number attending? We pay a not so "voluntary" contributions for the School towards insurance/supplies/transport/maintenance for School activities and sports. There is a Christmas box collection for children in third world countries as a way of teaching our children about being kind and people who are living in poorer circumstances.

LunasSpectreSpecs Wed 22-Nov-17 11:07:27

We're in Scotland - no voluntary contributions. Yes partly there is a pressure on numbers as they have to limit them in the school hall but it would be easy to have a "250 tickets, first come first served" policy, or allocate two per child or something.

Smartiepants79 Wed 22-Nov-17 11:07:46

Nothing.
Neither the school I work at or the school my children attend charge.
Never come across a school that does to be honest.
We have a raffle and it's sort of expected for people to pay a bit for that but tickets are free.
How on earth do they police how many tickets per family?

CappuccinoCake Wed 22-Nov-17 11:10:38

No never seen a Christmas show charge!!!

Fayres, contributions to trips etc yes but not to see the kids.

LunasSpectreSpecs Wed 22-Nov-17 11:10:40

They don't. You send back the slip with however many tickets you want, and once the tickets have been sold out, tough luck.

Xmasbaby11 Wed 22-Nov-17 11:11:43

Nothing. All performances are free.

I don't know any schools that charge!

Ghostonthedancefloor Wed 22-Nov-17 11:11:50

£2 per ticket, limited to two tickets per family. Which means we have very disappointed grandparents this year.

They used to do it in the local chapel, but for some reason stopped and now do it in the tiny school hall.

Eolian Wed 22-Nov-17 11:12:45

My eldest is 12 and I've never been charged for tickets to a school performance. No general 'voluntary' contributions either. All after school clubs are free too.

SparklingSnowfall Wed 22-Nov-17 11:13:04

Nothing! But a friend of mine in a different school is paying £2.00 per tkt

LunasSpectreSpecs Wed 22-Nov-17 11:15:32

We're not charged for the "learning festival" types of performances or for things like the Easter or Summer assemblies. Just the CHristmas shows.

I actually have a massive issue with the way the school operates it Christmas shows, they go on far too long and take up hours of teaching time from October half term onwards. Children who aren't performing in a main role spend all that time repeatedly singing the songs. I have raised concerns with the Head who basically told me to get back in my box and that it was "her school, her rules".

whatkatydidnext1 Wed 22-Nov-17 11:16:15

Another one here never been charged. 3 dc going to different schools over a 20 yr period and never been charged. They do however have a bucket going around at the end but that’s usually for charity and not the school.

RussellHobb Wed 22-Nov-17 11:21:28

Nothing, and I've never heard of a school charging either! The schools my dc have attended have always sold programmes and/or done a raffle. They also limit the amount available to keep attendance manageable.

RussellHobb Wed 22-Nov-17 11:22:38

Is it a geographical thing? Do the other schools in your area do this?

yellojello Wed 22-Nov-17 11:23:38

In Scotland too and we are £3 a ticket which on top of all the other recent payments for panto, party etc I just find another thing to remember and never have the cash ready for.

I would rather just pay £10 direct debit monthly for everything across the school year or something similar as I know they are struggling for money.

Tiredmummyof3 Wed 22-Nov-17 11:28:38

Yes we have to pay usually £2 and also limited to 2 tickets per family per child.

gabsdot Wed 22-Nov-17 11:32:22

Nothing and we get tea and biscuits too.
In saying that it's not a major production, just an extension of normal Friday assembly

W1a Wed 22-Nov-17 11:33:07

£1 at local primary school.

£15 at local independent school. I saw one of their shows recently and it was brilliant but £15....!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now