Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

ERF car seat until 4 years for a low-weight baby?

(44 Posts)
INeedNewShoes Wed 22-Nov-17 10:22:24

My six-month old is currently traveling in a lie-flat car seat which she will probably out-grow at 8 months.

I would ideally like to purchase the next seat to be suitable from January when DD will be 8 months but will probably weigh only 6.5 kilos and I would like the seat to be ERF until 4 years.

If DD was a more normal weight I would try to wait until 9 months to buy a Group 1+ carseat but as she is so light my guess is that at 9 months she may be too small for the 9 months+ car seats?

So I'm guessing I need a Group 0+ 1 car seat?

I like the idea of the swivel car seats like the Cybex Sirona and the Britax Dualfix but I'm not sure about the longevity of these as reading other MN threads people say their children outgrew them at 2.5 years. Although DD is 2nd percentile for weight she is at least 25th for height.

I particularly want the seat to have a good recline as my parents live a 6-hour drive away. The lie-flat seat has been brilliant for this!

The other option is to buy the group 0+ carseat that is compatible with our travel system which is £89 and has good safety stats and would do her up to 18 months and then look again at the next stage of carseat.

I'm going round in circles a bit. Can anyone help!?

InvisibleToEveryone Wed 22-Nov-17 11:04:13

Ignore her age.

Go by her weight and height.

Halfpastthelegofmyshirt Wed 22-Nov-17 11:19:49

Sign up to the Which? website to see all seats graded by their independent safety tests. There can be massive variations in how well car seats work to protect your child. The trial costs £1, just don’t forget to cancel after a month!

VeryPunny Wed 22-Nov-17 11:24:00

Cybex Sirona. Neither of my DCs are large and DD who is nearly 5 only went forward facing around June. DC2 is 2 and will be in the Sirona for years.

furryelephant Wed 22-Nov-17 11:25:16

Axkid seats are great with good crash test results. Check what age your dd is estimated to reach 18kg by in her red book. I believe the 50th centile is roughly 18kg at 4. Joie seats have a good reputation too smile

Needadvicetoleave Wed 22-Nov-17 12:00:28

In what way will she outgrow her seat at 8 months? Is she unusually long in body (you saw she's small in weight).

FreeButtonBee Wed 22-Nov-17 12:02:37

My chunky 2.3yo is still totally comfy in his Britax Dualfix RF. His sister is just outgrowing hers (weight wise) at almost 5 - she's been FF for about 15 months and was quite dinky and always perfectly comfortable.

BertieBotts Wed 22-Nov-17 12:06:57

OP says it's a lie flat seat which are generally smaller and tend to be Group 0 rather than Group 0+ so only suitable until 9 or 10kg.

OP - it depends if convenience or money saving is more important.

If you'd rather save money, look for a decent 0-1 or 0-2 seat. I think this would likely save in the region of £50-90.

If you'd rather get something convenient the Group 0+ seat would be worth investing in. You might then get a cheaper Group 1 ERF seat. Though not many DC reach the 4 year supposed limit of these. It is more like 3 years. Because they are limited in height which is designed to stop the seat ever being used over its safe weight limit.

Isabeau1980 Wed 22-Nov-17 12:10:37

Maxi-Cosi 2 way Pearl is apparently suitable from 6 months. I don't see a minimum weight. It's ERF to 4 years and I cannot recommend them more.

Needadvicetoleave Wed 22-Nov-17 13:20:29

Bertie even so, OP said baby is 6.5kgs, they aren't going to gain 2.5kg in 2 months. My 25th centile DS only got to 9kg at 17 months.

I wanted to know why OP feels baby is going to outgrow the seat, does OP understand what outgrown in an infant seat looks like.

gamerpigeon Wed 22-Nov-17 13:22:32

We’ve got a pearl 2way which allows rear facing from 6 months to 4 years. I think the base is compatible with the maxi cosi seats for 0-6 months but not sure.

It is hideously expensive but the only seat I could find which does 6-15 months and 15 months plus in the rear facing position. Most seem to stop at 15 months and then you need to buy a whole new base and seat.

Winegumaddict Wed 22-Nov-17 13:24:19

I have the sirona I love it. The swivel is absolutely the best thing ever so easy to get them in and out. DD1 is still in hers at 2.5 and I bought another one for DD2 who is nearly 1. They are suitable form birth I think but I used them after my newborn car seat. DD1 is small for her age and light. DD2 is on the 50th centile I think. Both are comfy and happy.

Aliveinwanderland Wed 22-Nov-17 13:26:32

I have a joie 360 which is one of the ones with a longer shell so should last a bit longer for taller children. It is meant to go up to age 4. It’s suitable from birth.

FurryGiraffe Wed 22-Nov-17 13:32:04

The Sirona is suitable from birth and the swivel is the best invention in the world. Height wise DS1 (25th centile for height) was in his until 3.5 or so, but he has a long body and short legs: if he were a bit leggier it would’ve lasted longer!

Whitelisbon Wed 22-Nov-17 13:38:35

Mine are all in joie every stages.
My dts are almost 4, both on 25th centiles and both still rear facing happily. I reckon they've both got another year at least before I'll need to turn them.
Dd3 is 20 months and has been in hers since birth.

Eeeeek2 Wed 22-Nov-17 13:42:01

Many erf have a minimum of 9kg so you’re either looking for one that does both stages so something like joie everystages that from birth or as you say 2 seats.

The only reasons I didn’t get one of these is that I have a very tall heavy boy that will be 18kg before 3.5 and I don’t want to put him in a high back booster at that age. This obviously isn’t likely to be a problem for you.

Incarsafetycentre are great for advice on erf and they do delivery if you can’t get to one of their stores

Needadvicetoleave Wed 22-Nov-17 15:14:13

Op, if DD is tall but slender then don't get a sirona, they are one of the shortest bodies of ERF seat. You'd be best off with an axkid minikid.

INeedNewShoes Wed 22-Nov-17 15:19:12

Thanks for all your responses and sorry it's taken me a while to get back to the thread... one of those days!

I'm just working through suggestions and questions now...

AppleKatie Wed 22-Nov-17 15:22:09

My 50th percentile 3 year old is still in his Britax Dualfix. It goes up to 18kilos and he's still quite a long way from that. It's been a great seat.

OMGtwins Wed 22-Nov-17 15:27:24

If you're anwhere near Wiltshire try securatot.co.uk, they sorted us with our ERF seats and they have a warehouse where you can go and try out all the seats in your car before ordering. They will also advise you over email over what to buy too. We have an AxKid MiniKid and our small (14kg, 100cm tall) 4 year old daughter is still in it.

INeedNewShoes Wed 22-Nov-17 15:32:46

Halfpastthelegofmyshirt - I'm already signed up to Which and have been reading reviews, but they aren't quite detailed enough to give me the guidance I feel like I need for my particularly light daughter.

furryelephant - she probably won't get to 18 kilos until 4 but it's more her height which means she might outgrow the seats with the 18kg label before the age of 4. Although her length hasn't been measured for ages people keep commenting on how long she is!

Needadvicetoleave - I'm assuming she'll be too long for the lie-flat seat once her feet touch the end, and definitely if her head touches the end of the seat.

As well as this reason for moving on from the lie-flat seat it is also a bit inconvenient because it takes up just over 2 seats in the back of my car.

I assumed when I bought the lie-flat car seat that baby would probably be 9 kilos by the time I needed to move on from it but because she's light and tall that's looking doubtful.

eurochick Wed 22-Nov-17 15:33:38

We also have the 2 way Pearl. My daughter is still comfortable rear facing at 3+. I'd recommend it.

Needadvicetoleave Wed 22-Nov-17 15:39:14

Ineednewshoes which lie flat is it? As different one have different rules. But most are that you pull the legs down so that the nappy is up against the buckle as much as it can be and then they are outgrown when the head exceeds the top. Bent legs tend not to be an issue.

INeedNewShoes Wed 22-Nov-17 15:46:08

It's the Jane Matrix Light 2.

(Just to preempt...this seat also has an upright rear-facing setting but it is far far too upright and DD's head flops forward horribly in it the minute she falls asleep so I've decided I don't feel comfortable using it. The lie-flat mode is fantastic though, just for the benefit of anyone considering it).

CaveMum Wed 22-Nov-17 15:47:47

We’ve got the Sirona, DD has been in it since 15 months (she had a BeSafe IziGo before that which takes up to 13kg). DD is 3.5 and probably only just looking like she’s getting too tall for it. In fact I only turned her forward-facing last week!

To be honest I expect we’ll have to move her out in the New Year simply because my ginormous DS (7 months old and currently weighing 10kg!) is likely to have outgrown the BeSafe by then. We’ll just buy the next seat up for DD and move DS into the Sirona.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now