Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Alexa is coming to stay!

(53 Posts)
TweeBee Wed 22-Nov-17 09:52:43

DH has bought me an Alexa for my birthday and it's coming today! I'm very over excited. Have already had my birthday so can open it.
Does anyone know how easy it is to set up? Will I be able to do it with chattering toddler to 'help'?
Also any tips welcome.

Dippydippydora Wed 22-Nov-17 09:54:47

I love Alexa.
But when I tell my DS he can't have something he always says I will ask Alexa grin

MakeMisogynyAHateCrime Wed 22-Nov-17 09:57:35

Alexa creeps me out.

TweeBee Wed 22-Nov-17 10:01:19

Make my DH feels the same. He has advised me that I am under no circumstances allowed to mention the possibility of him having a vasectomy unless we are upstairs and at least two doors away from her!

glenthebattleostrich Wed 22-Nov-17 10:05:25

It's all a bit skynet for me!

glenthebattleostrich Wed 22-Nov-17 10:05:35

Oh and happy birthday!

QueenOfMyDomain Wed 22-Nov-17 10:09:00

I love Alexa. When you have set it up tell her it's your birthday ;-)

GladAllOver Wed 22-Nov-17 10:11:01

You just have to remember that a) it is listening to everything in the house at all times, and b) it is connected to the Internet. If you can trust Amazon to keep your personal life private, and that it will never be hacked, fair enough.

TweeBee Wed 22-Nov-17 10:12:13

Aw thanks. Unfortunately it's not actually my birthday. It was last week but DH assures me that the echo was out of stock and is only just back in stock. I'll tell her anyway. grin Or will she remember and wish me happy birthday on the wrong day every year?

Smeaton Wed 22-Nov-17 10:16:12

'Out if stock' in this definition means, 'too expensive, I'll wait till the sale'

I love Amazon I also love Google.. I want neither of them listening in on me.. blush

hiddley Wed 22-Nov-17 10:20:06

What is Alexa? Is it like the 'Ok Google' thing you see on Gogglebox?

BalloonDinosaur Wed 22-Nov-17 10:27:06

I think it’s fairly simple to set up, we have an echo dot but DP did it all really. Download the app. We set ours up to make a noise whenever it was listening, which makes it slightly less creepy.
We don’t actually use it much to be honest, it’s good for music and ‘to do’ lists but never got round to setting all the other stuff up.

Redglitter Wed 22-Nov-17 10:28:39

It's brilliant and dead easy to set up. You'll love it 😊

FurryDogMother Wed 22-Nov-17 10:30:38

Really simple to set up, using the app. I love Alexa - she reads my Audible books to me, does temperature conversions, tells me what the weather's going to be, cheers me up with a (bad) joke), plays music, tells me the time, and I've added several game-playing skills, too. Hope you love yours - and a belated happy birthday - (ask Alexa when hers is).

Incitatus Wed 22-Nov-17 10:30:59

Does it clean the bathroom?

Glitteryfrog Wed 22-Nov-17 10:35:13

I love Amazon I also love Google.. I want neither of them listening in on me..

Google already knows everything about me... my calendar, my email, where I've been etc
I sort of want a google home...

poisonedbypen Wed 22-Nov-17 10:37:48

Don't watch that Hunted, it will put you off Alexa for ever.

poisonedbypen Wed 22-Nov-17 10:38:38

Oops, sorry that was pissing on your birthday parade! Happy birthday & enjoy Alexa!

Bluntness100 Wed 22-Nov-17 10:40:46

Seriously easy to set up, took me about two mins. It only clicks on when you say it’s name. I like it for music, so tell it to play radio two or my play list, or the news, and also for setting timers and doing my shopping list.

You can also check the weather, cinema listing, traffic conditions, train times, plan a route, tell you a story, read a poem, burp or fart, tell you your horoscope. It’s quite a good gadget. We had friends over and now everyone wants one. grin

Misspilly88 Wed 22-Nov-17 10:41:08

Do Not, I repeat, do not show toddler what to do. I'm sure they'll pick it up eventually but ours was put away in a drawer 4 days after we got it because he asked it constantly to play Justin Fletchers party songs.

TheVanguardSix Wed 22-Nov-17 10:49:48

Ah I LOVE Alexa.
Misspilly do we live in the same house?
We went through this exact same phase! The Justin Fletcher Rave.
And the Kiboomers... Zoom Zoom Zoom We're Going to the Moon.
confused

OP I recommend a Spotify Premier account. That's the catch. You pay for Spotify or Amazon Music but I was doing this already with iTunes for years. I don't mind too much. I listen to shedloads of tunes!

We do laugh though because every time the Alexa ad comes on the TV our Alexa responds to the person in the ad. And whenever we mention my niece, whose name is Alexa, we have to give up and just leave the room. grin Fun and games.

Enjoy!

ArcheryAnnie Wed 22-Nov-17 11:08:50

Enjoy it, OP!

It's my worst nightmare, as I am the sort of person who puts stickers over the cameras on laptops, and won't have a smart TV in the house, but I know other people love it.

BiddyPop Wed 22-Nov-17 11:32:04

I've got the Echo for the kitchen (that DH knows and asked for) and the echo dot for the study (that he doesn't yet know) for DH's Christmas present.

I was hoping to get them set up in advance - so I need to investigate a few things on nights DH is away with work....

RoseWhiteTips Wed 22-Nov-17 11:56:24

Alexa is great but doesn’t like rudeness.

TheGoodEnoughWife Wed 22-Nov-17 12:04:38

Love our Alexas - although we don’t use her to the maximum of her ability I suspect.

The Alexa has been out of stock, maybe connected to them coming down in price in the pre Black Friday sales.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now