Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Thigh holes in jeans

(44 Posts)
PineappleExpress Wed 22-Nov-17 09:21:45

I'm so fed up of holes appearing on the inside leg of my jeans, and all other trousers for that matter. I know it's a relatively common problem, which isn't helped by my large thighs and body shape, but how do people deal with it? Does anyone have any recommended brands or styles that don't wear through so easily? Is there any way to toughen up the material? Or do I just have to suck it up and keep buying more clothes?

AgathaRaisonDetra Wed 22-Nov-17 09:25:01

You could always a) buy larger sizes b) go to the gym and lose weight.

Fluffyears Wed 22-Nov-17 09:30:18

Agatha as a size 10 I still had thighs that rubbed so that’s a really unhelpful statement!

amusedbush Wed 22-Nov-17 09:31:43

ODFO AgathaRaisonDetra. Could you be more snide?

I've done this to every pair of jeans I've ever had. I've just stopped buying pairs that cost more than £30.

shadowfax07 Wed 22-Nov-17 09:33:47

If you can find any jeans that have French seams on the inside of the legs, I find they tend to last longer.

Fluffyears Wed 22-Nov-17 09:33:52

Why wouldvtrousers too big help? The OP has said it’s her body shape. I have close set thighs too and get the same problem even when I was slimmer.

nadinexo1 Wed 22-Nov-17 09:34:07

this happened to my jeans when i was at my slimmest at a size 8 so no she doesn't necessarily need to lose weight!

StarUtopia Wed 22-Nov-17 09:35:49

This happens to me. I'm currently a size 14 (so yes, fat) but when i was a size 8 i had exactly the same problem

So Agatha needs to take her head out of her arse however slim it is.

Lesley1980 Wed 22-Nov-17 09:40:39

I buy these iron on patches & put them in the areas that wear through. I'll sometimes do a few stitches for strength. You'll get them online, John Lewis or material shop. Even some supermarkets.

Also I find baggy jeans wear out quicker.

FergalBurgal Wed 22-Nov-17 09:43:00

I have this no matter what size I am.
Like a pp I now just buy cheaper jeans knowing I'll have to replace more often. Having said that the last cheap pair I bought are still going strong. They were £12 from Matalan and I'm really impressed.

ToastyFingers Wed 22-Nov-17 09:52:36

He, nice one Agatha. Never too early in the day for a bitchy comment I see.

I wear size 12 jeans and have serious thigh rub, I won't be buying a size bigger, as my calves and waist are slim and toned and I'd probably wear a smaller size if it wasn't for my ample thighs and bum.

Not everyone fits into your 'straight up and down' white beauty mould Agatha, as I tell my 4 year old, people come in all shapes and sizes.

Op, I don't have any advice, but the stretchy sort of skinny jeans tend to stay intact for me, as opposed to the thick coarse proper denim type.

ShotsFired Wed 22-Nov-17 09:57:30

@AgathaRaisonDetra You could always a) buy larger sizes b) go to the gym and lose weight.

Wow I had not thought of that, you are a complete GENIUS! hmm
Pray tell, what's your advice for, say, depression? "Cheer up"?

Runningoutofusernames Wed 22-Nov-17 10:05:09

Another size 10 with thigh holes here! My friend is a stylist and told me about oasis jeans.. hadn't shopped there in forever, but surprisingly their Cherry jeans are lovely - v flattering for those of us with close thighs, clearly!- and have lasted well. At £58 each they're not the cheapest but worth it for me. Otherwise I find the best is to get non skinny jeans, as the sturdy fabric lasts longer - Zara has some nice ripped hem 'mom jeans' ones at the moment or a little while ago I found a great pair of old Levis at a charity shop!

formerbabe Wed 22-Nov-17 10:15:10

You could always a) buy larger sizes b) go to the gym and lose weight

How rude.

Larger sizes wouldn't necessarily work anyway neither would losing weight.

I've been every dress size possible. The only way your thighs won't meet is if you have a thigh gap. I've been a size 8 and my thighs still met....though I suppose I could have starved myself to attempt to achieve that, but I'd rather not.

UterusUterusGhali Wed 22-Nov-17 10:25:52

My dd is a size 8 and plays rugby so has this problem a lot (muscly thighs & shoulders).

We go down the cheap jeans route but I'm going to get some patches for her topshop jeans I think! And mine.

Vitalogy Wed 22-Nov-17 10:58:57

I thought this thread was going to be about these fashion statement jeans with rips and holes in them. Could be worse.

PineappleExpress Wed 22-Nov-17 13:32:05

Thanks, Agatha! I'll sign up to the gym right away. That'll sort out my bone structure!

Thanks to everyone else for having more sense grin and yes yes yes to baggy jeans wearing out quicker! Especially when I'm running and jumping about with the kids
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check them out. Especially those patches.

Ha, Vitalogy! They would at least solve my problem, but I would definitely catch them on something and rip them apart grin

Cacofonix Wed 22-Nov-17 13:40:53

Yes I just know jeans have a shortish shelf life. Some jeans go quickly and some not so much - haven't worked out why.

But don't even get me started on holes in the front of tops. angry

Gingernaut Wed 22-Nov-17 13:44:24

Ah ges, the chub rub.

Sorry, I have no helpful advice other than I buy in charity shops.

Financially, it doesn't hurt as much when the chub rub does it's damage. blush

Gingernaut Wed 22-Nov-17 13:44:59

That should have read Ah yes. blush

Swizzlesticks23 Wed 22-Nov-17 13:47:33

Topshop Joni jeans are so stretchy. Never had a pair rip and some nice styles too.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Wed 22-Nov-17 13:53:27

The only solution I have found is to not wear jeans, and only buy trousers made from synthetic fabrics sad

crumbsinthecutlerydrawer Wed 22-Nov-17 13:58:26

I’m always ditching jeans for this reason and have never found a pair that doesn’t go that way, have to say I think the amount of stretch they put in them doesn’t help the problem.

You either have a thigh gap or you don’t. No amount of dieting/starving yourself or exercise will ever get you a thigh gap if you’re not meant to have one. Ignore the ignorant poster above. hmm

crumbsinthecutlerydrawer Wed 22-Nov-17 13:59:03

*Not the poster directly above!

jumpyfrog Wed 22-Nov-17 14:04:08

My mum is a size 12/14 on her bottom half & has a big thigh gap. It's your shape largely.

In my uni years I put on some weight (size 12, 5ft 9) & had the rubbing on my jeans. After having DC2 I'm fatter but don't have it any more, assume my hips have widened?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now