Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Oh the PAIN! Sinus? Feel like I've been punched in the face!

(23 Posts)
OhOurBilly Wed 22-Nov-17 03:38:25

Not aibu but would I be unreasonable to go to the doctor with this and ask beg for an emergency appointment? Three days, I thought it would go away but it's getting worse! Pain from the top left side of my nose, radiating into my cheek, down to my jaw making me feel like I've got toothache.

I've never felt pain like this, it's a slow dull ache combined with sharp squeezing pains too. It's making me feel sick. Paracetamol isn't touching it. It's like my face is having contractions.

I have a fairly high pain threshold but I'm in bits here. I've got some dihydrocodeine from when I had a EMCS last year and I'm genuinely eyeing it up and wondering whether to take that!

Bimbop5 Wed 22-Nov-17 03:42:29

Ugh, sinus pain is the worst! I really feel for you. Is anything draining, like coloured mucus? Do you have a fever? Usually the doctors will want you to wait at least a week before they give antibiotics because if its a virus the antibiotics won't work anyways. But if its bacteria infection then you might need an antibiotic. Drink a lot of hot water and the steam will help loosen things up and have a hot shower. I hope you feel better soon. I've had 3 sinus surgeries due to recurrent infections so I feel your pain!!

RefuseTheLies Wed 22-Nov-17 03:46:14

Take the pain relief. See GP asap. Sinus pain is dreadful and you don't want to end up with an infection, or worse, having to get your sinuses drained.

If you have any saline spray, that might help. I also find a hot facecloth across the bridge of my nose loosens things up a bit too.

Taytotots Wed 22-Nov-17 03:59:16

Have you taken a decongestant? The over the counter sudafed(pseudoephedrine) is good. I get sinus headaches and that works far better than paracetamol.

OhOurBilly Wed 22-Nov-17 04:06:18

Thank for replying both. I've got a warm hot water bottle on my face (and a one year old attached to my boob, hoping he goes back off swiftly) and I know I've got a saline spray somewhere.

Had a stinking cold last week and everything that came out was clear, now it's either very yellow or green mucus pretty constantly. I've been having hot waves of fever pretty consistently since yesterday morning too.

This is nothing like I've ever experienced. I'm not generally a dramatic person with pain but I'm miserable.

comebacksun Wed 22-Nov-17 04:19:42

Sounds like sinusitis/ infection. I had this last week and was crying from the pain. Antibiotics got rid of the fever, pain and infection, but I'm still waking up every morning all blocked. I can unblock my nose with nasal spray but then I still feel blocked higher up. And I'm waking up with a bad headache every morning and I can feel mucus in my ears now. Aaarrrgggg.
Hope you feel better soon!

OhOurBilly Wed 22-Nov-17 04:25:46

Ooh, that sounds awful comebacksun I hope you're feeling better soon.

comebacksun Wed 22-Nov-17 06:54:46

Thank you. Are you going to get yours checked out? Is this the first time you've had sinus issues?

oldmissmort Wed 22-Nov-17 07:01:18

Are you sure it's your sinus? The pain you're describing is very similar to my migraines.

DappledThings Wed 22-Nov-17 07:04:39

Had it for a week. Alongside some quite painful Braxton Hicks. I have been feeling pretty sorry for myself! The hot flannel on nose does help keep it cleared.

Mine has only been on one side which is apparently a classic sinus pain and how you distinguish it from migraine

PosiePootlePerkins Wed 22-Nov-17 07:07:23

I know antibiotics are frowned upon these days but I had to have a course of 10 days to clear up a sinus infection a couple of years ago. You have my utmost sympathy, sinus pain is just awful. Definitely go to the doctors and see if they can help. flowers

DoraChance Wed 22-Nov-17 07:10:09

I get horrible sinusitis and the only thing I find that helps is sticking my head over a bowl of steaming water. I also find a saline nose spray more soothing than a decongestant. Hope it goes soon, you have my sympathies!

IamEarthymama Wed 22-Nov-17 07:20:42

I honestly think sinus pain is the worst thing ever!
When I saw a consultant he advised using a Neto pot and a saline solution

Google sinus massage; it really helps to drain your sinuses

I have to have the bedroom window open at night or mine gets worse

Drink lots of water, steam inhalation, known as "boil your head" here, Olbas oil, Vicks, try them all
I also avoid dairy if it is really bad and eat clear soups a lot

Search Mumsnet too, there are LOTS of threads about sinus problems, I think it's a design fault in humans.

Good luck everyone, you have my sympathy.

4forksake Wed 22-Nov-17 07:52:03

I get really bad sinus pains so you have my sympathy. Have you seen neti pots? They're supposed to really help with sinus infections. I'm tempted to get one but not sure if I could use it. Has anyone else used one & does it feel less gross than it looks confused.

OhOurBilly Wed 22-Nov-17 07:54:41

I completely agree that it is a designer fault, and completely ridiculous that in this day and age I have no option of complaining to the manufacturer! grin

Ended up falling asleep face down on a (warm not boiling) hot water bottle at 6, then the baby woke up at half 6, typical!

*Comeback
sun* I'm waiting for the Dr to open so I can phone. I'm not one for going to the GP usually but this is unbearable. Hope yours is improving soon. This is the first time for me and I hope it's the last!

Oldmissmort I thought it might have been a migraine initially (which I've never had either) but it never spread from the one side and it's definitely originating in my nose, well, down the side of it and then radiation out from there.

Thank you everyone for the sympathy and suggestions. I'm counting down the minutes till the doctors open and then going to the pharmacy en route.

SummerKelly Wed 22-Nov-17 08:06:05

Could be trigeminal neuralgia, often mistaken for sinus or dental pain and is generally one-sided. Hopefully just a sinus infection that will clear up but worth knowing about.

comebacksun Wed 22-Nov-17 08:11:12

Oh good, sounds like you'll need antibiotics.
4forks, I've got a neti pot. It's strange at first, but you soon get used to it. I tend to forget about it until I get my sinus issues. It does give some relief but it doesn't get rid of it altogether.

welshgirlwannabe Wed 22-Nov-17 08:11:23

I managed to clear my horrendous sinus pain with a neti pot. I recommend it to everyone all the time now. I was breastfeeding and didn't want to take antibiotics, used the neti pit diligently and really think I managed to 'flush' the infection away!
Try it, it's the only thing that worked for me.

PurpleWithRed Wed 22-Nov-17 08:13:26

I get sinus infections and my dentist told me I had the largest sinus cavities she'd ever seen in someone so small <preen>

Paracetamol does nothing (that's how I know it's my sinuses when my brain is in a fog of ache). You need a decongestant - pseudodoephedrine works for me - in Sinutabs or Boots have a version and I take them with ibuprofen (nb I am not a doctor or pharmacist). Also hang my head backwards over the arm of the sofa to take the pressure off.

SheWhoDaresGins2 Wed 22-Nov-17 08:23:48

Blow your nose as often as possible as soon as you can breathe freely squirt vick sinus spray up. Pain relief. Massage the area with something that vibrates (use our imagination and a tip I got from Mumsnet 😁)blow clear repeat. I am finally seeing the end to mine after a having the flu ths beginning of last month. Been on really strong antibiotics for infected sinuses which had me reduced to tears it was so unbelievably painful. The method above is the only thing I got relief from.

Get well soon OP it really is horrendous flowersbrewwine

OhOurBilly Wed 22-Nov-17 08:53:18

Managed to get a doctor's appointment for just after 10 this morning (we're very lucky at my GP.) So if he doesn't think I need antibiotics then I shall be raiding the pharmacy for a nasal spray and sinutabs and a nose teapot.

That is quite the niche compliment purple I hope you've put that on your CV! Whan an accolade! I've got to go to the dentist next week, I'm totally going to ask about my sinus cavaties now

Thanks gin you've got to love MN for tips like that, you wouldn't get that anyway else grin

I KNOW I'm super off colour because we've got Justin's House on cbeebies and they're singing 'consider yourself' and I'm not even joining in doing a music number for the baby. I'd usually be all jazz hands and high kicks. So this is clearly very serious.

Sinuses!! Who knew?! At least with labour you get a prize at the end! Thanks everyone! 💐

IamEarthymama Wed 22-Nov-17 10:19:08

Don't forget the sinus massage, it really helps when the pain is unbearable

I love Nose Teapot!

OhOurBilly Wed 22-Nov-17 11:33:39

Thank you so much everyone. GP said sinusitis before I'd got to the end of my first sentence. I've got some antibiotics and a nasal spray. Loaded up on ibuprofen and I'm hoping the pain eases off soon. Doing my sinus massage.

Thank you to everyone who gave advice and sympathy, I'm so grateful. Respect to anyone who's suffered with sinus pain, it's horrendous flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now