Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Best books for 2/3 year old?

(20 Posts)
passemoilevin Tue 21-Nov-17 22:54:13

I'm trying to remember what I loved to read when I worked in a nursery. My favourite was you choose - I'm so excited for that to come! My DD loves talking about her favourite this and that.

She loves the gruffalo, the gruffalo's child, we're going on a bear hunt, goodnight moon etc.

I'm keen to move away from open the flap books, and want to expand our bedtime repertoire. Also, selfishly, I want some books that I'll enjoy reading a trillion times blush

Please, give me your recommendations to add to the ever growing Christmas list! Old or new, just books for us both to enjoy together.

Ps how long till I can get her obsessed with Harry Potter? grin

Nicae Tue 21-Nov-17 23:01:52

The Tiger who Came to Tea and When Willy Went to the Wedding are my favourites, any Judith Kerr really.

Kpo58 Tue 21-Nov-17 23:05:31

What about books by Babette Cole? I loved The Trouble with... books.

In a year or two time I would recommend the Church Mice books by Graham Oakley. They aren't religious, but the illustrations are amazing and shows between the lines of what people say.

nancy75 Tue 21-Nov-17 23:05:39

The monkey with the bright blue bottom was the top favourite in our house!
The tiger who came to tea
There are some with a hedgehog - I think one is called a windy day ( Dd is 12 so my memory is hazy!)
There are so many lovely books for little ones now, I used to spend a fortune in Waterstones!

Muddlingalongalone Tue 21-Nov-17 23:07:17

Dd2 has just turned 3 and her current favourites are the Mr & Mrs Large elephant books & Topsy and Tim. I recommend the elephant ones!!!
Also Meg & Mog or Paddington but we only have 1 so they are on the Christmas list.

Slinkymalinky1 Tue 21-Nov-17 23:09:35

All the Julia Donaldson, I used to love reading those to mine. Nice story to them and a good rhythm, so you can really get into it grin

minipie Tue 21-Nov-17 23:10:12

Julia Donaldson anything
Maurice sendak (where the wild things are and others)
Alfie stories
Ahlberg - Mrs Wobble the waitress etc, Funny bones
Whatever next, Peace at Last, On the Way Home (forget the author's name)
Maisy for real life situations (maisy goes to hospital, library, nursery etc)
Elmer
Elephant and the Bad Baby
Mog
Hairy Maclary series

BumWad Tue 21-Nov-17 23:11:30

Goodnight construction site

Hungry caterpillar

lostintranslocation Tue 21-Nov-17 23:17:34

My two and a half year old is currently always choosing:

Superworm
The Cat in the Hat (Dr Seuss) - though I don't know how much she follows it! She does always want it though!
Owl Babies
The Toucan Brothers
Also the Gruffalo and Gruffalo's child
The original Peter Rabbit (with the lovely watercolour paintings)
Guess how much I love you

And also the Tim Hopgood series - Walters wonderful web (shapes), Wow said the owl (colours), and Hooray for Hoppy (senses) - and I think there is a numbers one too, but we don't have that.

She also keeps getting out the Katie Morag books, which are longer stories than most toddler books, but she really enjoys the pictures and seems to be getting some of the story, if her wittering commentary is anything to go by!

Littlelambpeep Tue 21-Nov-17 23:21:06

Stick Man
Tiger who came to tea
Owl babies
Snail and the whale
Ugly duckling
Rapunzel etc (I have some old ladybirds I found in charity shop)

Cracklesfire Tue 21-Nov-17 23:24:33

Elmer
We're going on a bear hunt
A squash & a squeeze
Blown away
Oh no George
A bit lost

SeamusMacDubh Tue 21-Nov-17 23:32:01

Ten little pirates (I believe there is a whole series of “Ten Little...”)
Goat goes to playgroup
Hippo has a hat
Diggersaurs
Elmer
Room on the broom
Handa’s surprise
The very busy spider
Oi Frog
Stick Man
Little Rabbit Foo Foo
Doctor Dog
Mog the cat books
Percy the Park Keeper books
The Jolly Postman

sirbedevere Tue 21-Nov-17 23:33:58

Hairy maclairy series is fantastic!

fadetoblack Tue 21-Nov-17 23:36:28

A bit lost
All Change
One night in the zoo
Aliens love underpants
The Blue balloon
Rattle trap Car
Octopus Socktopus - sheer silliness
Penguin ( absolute favourite)

Also if you have Amazon Prime please buy Lost and Found as an animation. It is a sheer delight to watch. I can never understand how it is not more popular. I even prefer it to the book.
m.youtube.com/watch?v=IwwrrZnmCb0

Hope you choose some new favourites from the books recommended on this thread.

fadetoblack Tue 21-Nov-17 23:40:59

I seem to have added the link far too many times and also it doesn't have the wonderful narration by Jim Broadbent on, without which it's magic is lessened.
Apologies

passemoilevin Tue 21-Nov-17 23:47:03

Brilliant! Thanks so much guys. My mums ordering Amazon prime for a month before Christmas and she shares it with us all so will look up that animation. Also just saw on another thread that the Highway Rat by Julia Donaldson is showing on Christmas night so will get that in preparation grin

Loved hairy mclary at nursery. Also the peace at last author, but DDs not too keen on them. Ditto the hungry caterpillar charlatan

She already loves guess how much I love you - as do I.

Babette Cole's books look lovely; will look more into them.

I have such fond memories of owl babies, room on a broom, a squash and a squeeze, Elmer, a snail and a whale, room on a broom, the tiger that came to tea, the cat in the hat and mog!!

They're all going in our Amazon basket. God, I'm going to be one of those posters that buys their 2yo 50 presents (30 of which are books grin).

Thanks so much guys. Any more suggestions, keep 'em coming!

ineedaholidaynow Tue 21-Nov-17 23:47:58

I was going to recommend Lost and Found and any other Oliver Jeffers books. They are lovely.

We had a set of Paddington books in a suitcase which are aimed at younger children which DS (and we) loved.

Hairy Mclarey books were also a huge hit.

We also loved Kipper and Wibbly Pig. In fact I think I could quote "Is it Bedtime Wibbly Pig?" word for word even now and DS is 12 smile

passemoilevin Tue 21-Nov-17 23:49:28

Oh that YouTube vid 😍 that's right up my DDs street - she loves penguins!

user1471443504 Tue 21-Nov-17 23:50:09

Open very carefully a book with bite
Fix it duck
Any Julia donaldson

Kpo58 Wed 22-Nov-17 07:07:01

Look at The works and The book People websites as they do bundles of 10 books for £10 (including the Hairy McClairy series).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now