Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

People who leave new jobs after only a day or a week

(77 Posts)
tectonicplates Tue 21-Nov-17 22:54:11

I was having a chat with a friend about a job I think I'm about to be offered, and not sure if I really want it but she said you can always take the job and look for another one.

She has worked with lots of different people and told me a few stories about people who left new jobs after only one day, and even someone who went out at lunchtime and never came back.

I was thinking I don't know anyone who's done this, until it occurred to me that I did hear of someone who left after a week and apparently disappeared without a trace.

How often do people do this?

LBOCS2 Tue 21-Nov-17 23:01:32

Think it depends on the industry. We had maybe 1 in 7 at my last place. A couple of them after a couple of days, one after three hours - went to lunch, never came back.

Our MD did call our team the bear pit though...

elephantoverthehill Tue 21-Nov-17 23:06:00

I have witnessed it a few times in schools, there for a couple of days then gone. I think it is really down to the interview panel, if they can't pick the right candidate well heaven help us. Unfortunately some of the candidates have been head hunted from overseas.

Nomoretears56 Tue 21-Nov-17 23:09:00

I had a new start yesterday, she is supposed to work 2 hours per day, phoned in sick today, gives me the bloody rage. Don't think she'll be back. Do these people not know the hassle they cause? In my line of work they have to be police checked at considerable expense, it takes time to get it done and then they turn up for one day and on the strength of that decide not to come back, inconsiderate gits!!!

GrockleBocs Tue 21-Nov-17 23:11:43

We had 2 people decide not to start on the start date and I know someone who did 3 days before leaving.

YetAnotherNC2017 Tue 21-Nov-17 23:15:38

I did it. Twice.

Job 1 - I was 3 months pregnant. Working in sub zero temperatures in winter and told there was never any heating on and I’d have to get used to it. It was a shop hmm I walked out at lunchtime and went home.

Job 2 - on a bar, minimum wage. I was asked on my first night to work an extra 2 hours overtime and was told I wouldn’t receive pay, but would be paid in out of date lager.

Fortunately after that I went for my career job, my first job lasted ten years grin

Velvetbee Tue 21-Nov-17 23:15:52

I did one afternoon in a British Gas call centre 20+ years ago. Woke the following day and had a panic attack at the prospect of doing it all again so rang the agency. Was hellish.

tectonicplates Tue 21-Nov-17 23:17:54

Did any of them give reasons for leaving though, or did they just disappear?

BarryTheKestrel Tue 21-Nov-17 23:18:17

My industry has a horrendous staff turnover. Out of a group of 20 new starters usually only 10-15 will complete the 3 weeks training. It's amazing if more than 5 are still working there after 6 months.

And then there are anomalies like me who have stuck it out for 6 years (various roles and climbing the ladder, luckily).

ImNotWhoYouThinkIAmOhNo Tue 21-Nov-17 23:18:18

I've known this happen. There are also the ones who email HR the day before to say they've had a better offer. Or who just don't turn up at all, for the same reason. As an employer, this is absolutely maddening!

MrsMoastyToasty Tue 21-Nov-17 23:20:07

I did it a call centre that did outsourced work for other companies. The training took place during the day. They omitted to tell me and the other new recruits that the work would be night shifts. I had no means of getting to work and nobody to care for my DC.

TooExtraImmatureCheddar Tue 21-Nov-17 23:21:39

It’s happened at my work a few times. Always temps/contractors.

PurpleStar123 Tue 21-Nov-17 23:26:13

We had someone go missing en-route to a very important job for the company I worked for. It would be normal for us not to hear from the person for a few hours on the job but when we rang to chase up the extremely important report he needed to file it transpired he had never shown up. It was maddening because we would have sent someone else to do it if he had contacted us in some way.

He reemerged wanting to keep his job a week or so later but I told him no. It was in an industry that is hard to break into, I have no idea what actually happened to him that day.

PonderLand Tue 21-Nov-17 23:26:26

I left an apprenticeship after 5 days. I hated it so much despite the amazing opportunity that it was. My other jobs I've had for 6 years, 1 year and current one for 2 years. In nearly every job I've had I've wanted to quit in the first few weeks but usually I get past that and start to enjoy it. I think it's the new environment and people which makes me feel anxious, lonely and a bit depressed.

The apprenticeship was really horrible, I was meant to be getting taught patisserie but instead I got hounded about what hairstyle I should wear, what makeup, he'd get pissed off when I didn't always understand his accent (very strong French accent) - bear in mind I was in the kitchen, no customers would see me, it was just me, a baker and the pastry chef. I went in as normal, got my stuff from the locker and left. It felt amazing! There was 3 previous apprentices before me, I found that out from college when I enrolled the week after.

PurpleStar123 Tue 21-Nov-17 23:26:43

He did the above on his first day. The job he was sent out to do was completely in the realms of his expertise.

Theresnonamesleft Tue 21-Nov-17 23:27:11

I have done it. I have standards of how I want to be treated. If I am treated like shit I won't stay. As I told them to shove the job up arses I did also mention why.

Where I currently work, the work is clearly explained on the JD, but they think oh it cannot be that bad. They have various bits of training, and still say oh it cannot be that bad. Once trained they realise how hard the job is and leave. We respect those because they've realised early on it's not for them. Better than the ones that stay and constantly moan about the work, you know the mood hoovers.

CheapSausagesAndSpam Tue 21-Nov-17 23:29:56

I had a job as a student in a restaurant. It was AWFUL with an abusive head chef.

One afternoon, I was clearning some outside tables...they were small ones on a busy street. He shouted at me from inside the restaurant and I just stuck two fingers up at him and walked off never to return.

I had to send my brother back to get my coat and bag that evening! grin

ReanimatedSGB Tue 21-Nov-17 23:33:31

I would say at least half the time people do this because the job is shit and/or their colleagues or management are bullies.

tectonicplates Tue 21-Nov-17 23:35:57

Mind you, I once held down a job for three or four months that I should never have taken in the first place. I took it at the height of the recession when it was difficult to get any job at all. I forced myself to go in every day, even though I had a panic attack every morning, to the detriment of my health, both physical and mental. The whole place was a shambles and was run by two idiots and one scheming, nasty piece of work. The relief I felt when I walked out for the final time was immeasurable. I really don't want to put myself through that again.

Nyx1 Tue 21-Nov-17 23:36:36

I left one after three weeks but I resigned properly

Friend had a break from teaching, returned and quit after two days. Headteacher didn't seem surprised.

Missy1983 Tue 21-Nov-17 23:38:55

I worked in a small hotel a few years ago. The duties were nothing like what i had interviewed for. Stayed for a few weeks as money was tight, i would of stayed longer and just put up with it but the manager / owner were awful and spoke to you like rubbish. During a heated team meeting got my bag and walked out and never looked back.

Sheepasaurus Tue 21-Nov-17 23:40:03

I've done it twice.

I worked in a chip shop for 45m when I was 16. The owner/manager kept making suggestive comments so I walked out.

I managed 6hrs cold calling for safestyle windows. It was through an agency and advertised as 'administration'. After I had a old lady tell me she had buried her husband the day before and had no money left after his funeral I told the supervisor that the job wasn't for me then left.

OlennasWimple Tue 21-Nov-17 23:45:20

I've had people wobble about coming back - probably because a new job is really difficult and people underestimate that. But none have actually bailed in a few hours or weeks.

I know someone who went back to her old job after a month in a new job because the new role was very very high pressure, her dad was diagnosed with terminal cancer a week after starting the new job and her mum was in a nasty car accident soon after. She had just too much on her plate at home to be able to do the new job properly, so rang and asked if she could go back to her old job. Personally I think it took a lot of courage and self-awareness to do that, but she was crucified by senior managers and her career took a definite hit. (The roles were the same company, same grade, same pay etc)

RavenLG Tue 21-Nov-17 23:45:50

Walked out of two jobs.

One after a few weeks. Admin in a packing factory, boss was an arse and despite knowing my name and me being sat in the same office as him, would ask someone else in the office to ask me to get him something or do a piece of work. No one talked to me it was a fucking horrible atmosphere i hates every minute. Got a job interview for another job and asked for a holiday (didn’t give them a reason) but they said no so I never went back.

Another was when I was 18 and my 2nd job. Left at lunchtime. It was agency admin work, I was told it would be data entry and general admin. The company was something to do with housing for elderly people and they needed me to call and ask them for mission data, fair enough things like telephone numbers (mobiles) or middle names / emergency contacts. But they also needed me to get a “sexuality” from everyone. I was mortified and thought it was so inappropriate so I just faked calling people (rang my mobile over and over) or called ones I could get other info from and didn’t ask them about their sexuality and then left. I mean we were talking people 75+ it was horrendous. Agency had a right go at me but I put them in their place and signed myself off their books.

WellThisIsShit Tue 21-Nov-17 23:46:26

Shouldn’t have read this, I’ve got someone starting tomorrow who I’m really reliant on - what if she doesn’t pitch up?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now