Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Best children's museum in London?

(81 Posts)
moobeana Tue 21-Nov-17 22:11:50

I am in need of mumsnet wisdom!

We want to take my dd to London this weekend for a birthday treat she will be turning 6 and we also have dd2 (2 and1/2yrs). We were thinking of going to visit a museum or something similar (perhaps tower?). So whish is the most fun, most interactive hands on place you would recommend?

We don’t want to do winter wonderland in Hyde Park as we are doing a Christmas market next weekend elsewhere.

Thanks guys!

BringOnTheScience Tue 21-Nov-17 22:15:24

Science!!!! If you want hands on... no contest.

Natural History has the dinosaurs. There're next door to each other.

BringOnTheScience Tue 21-Nov-17 22:16:40

they're blush was rushing

800msprint Tue 21-Nov-17 22:17:04

Greenwich also fun - maritime, observatory and planetarium, curry sark, Thames!

moobeana Tue 21-Nov-17 22:17:23

Is the science museum good, I’d heard there wasn’t much hands in to do for kids, just lots of exhibits? I’d love it to be good as it’s so easy!

moobeana Tue 21-Nov-17 22:18:23

Greenwich, tell me more?! I have never been! What’s best to do? Is it easy to get to?

GertrudeBelle Tue 21-Nov-17 22:18:48

Science Museum has a large area on the top floor which is all hands on experiments. It's amazing but you do pay extra for it. My kids can (and do) spend hours there.

cestlavielife Tue 21-Nov-17 22:19:16

Museum of childhood

BewareOfTheToddler Tue 21-Nov-17 22:20:49

Transport Museum! It's in Covent Garden.

Check the 2for1 National Rail offers if you're travelling by train - the Tower and Transport Museum used to be included.

moobeana Tue 21-Nov-17 22:20:56

Thanks for the details @GertrudeBelle. Good to know where the good bits are if we do go!

I’m off to google museum of childhood!

MaroonPencil Tue 21-Nov-17 22:22:40

I loved the science museum as a child but found it not very hands on, when we visited this year, if we had coughed up for the top floor it might have been different.

I think for the ages yours are, the Museum of Childhood would be great. There are rocking horses, sandpit, puppet theatre, dressing up, all sorts.

Puffthemagicdragongoestobed Tue 21-Nov-17 22:22:40

look no further than Greenwich

moobeana Tue 21-Nov-17 22:24:28

Thank you@MaroonPencil. That is kind of what we had heard about the science museum. He museum of childhood sounds good and interesting, but I am also off to look up Greenwich, it seems to be a popular choice!

PoptartPoptart Tue 21-Nov-17 22:26:35

Science museum gets my vote. We took a class of 30 seven year olds there in the summer and they absolutely loved the hands on experiments. It took quite awhile to round them all up when it was time to leave!

BringOnTheScience Tue 21-Nov-17 22:29:08

www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/see-and-do/wonderlab-statoil-gallery details of Science Mus Wonderlab. Bargain price considering the rest is free.

Transport is great : Agreed! Costs more but lots to clamber on.

Have to say that we were bitterly disappointed with Childhood. Lots of stuff in glass cases. Better for adults saying "Ooh I had one of those!" DH suggested Hamleys instead.

HMS Belfast is coooool. So much to see there. Or Golden Hind too.

SadSongsAndWaltzes Tue 21-Nov-17 22:30:34

I've heard that the Horniman Museum in south London is meant to be good for kids, lots of hands on things, an aquarium and a butterfly house. I haven't been there myself though, so someone else might come along to tell you more if it is any good!

NoSquirrels Tue 21-Nov-17 22:30:54

Science Museum top floor - pay extra but brilliant.

Transport Museum also great, and central.

Greenwich is all round fab but was our "local" so I'm a bit desensitised to it!

Horniman also great but too far out probably if you want "proper" London.

Museum of London is good too, and I love to take kids to British Museum but it's not really as hands on.

SadSongsAndWaltzes Tue 21-Nov-17 22:32:29

I wasn't that impressed by the museum of childhood either I'm afraid.

CatLadyInTraining Tue 21-Nov-17 22:33:25

Some good ideas here - pick one that is near to where you are staying in London. I also rate the Horniman but it is a bit further out to the east. Museum of London and their Docklands branch also both have lots of good kids' stuff.

In the childhood museum, it gets more fun higher up the stairs - there is a sandpit, dolls houses etc and they do lots of story telling and other activities.

Bananalanacake Tue 21-Nov-17 22:37:35

Greenwich maritime museum has a play area for children under 8 called the ahoy gallery.

caprifun Tue 21-Nov-17 22:38:34

I can second the horniman, lots of interactive exhibits and space to run around outside if the weather is old. The music room is great. The cafe gets ridiculously busy though. If you time it well it's also possible to tie it in with a visit to the dinosaurs in crystal palace park (forest hill and Penge stations respectively), which is also great for kids. Both stations less than half an hour out from central London.

CatsLikeBoxes Tue 21-Nov-17 22:38:44

My dc loved the Discover museum in Stratford at those ages - not too big, easy to get to, all about having fun / activities

CountingToThree Tue 21-Nov-17 22:38:50

Another vote for the maritime museum - you can also tie it in with a boat trip from Westminster or embankment

nancy75 Tue 21-Nov-17 22:39:07

Museum of childhood is the worst one we’ve been to, I really don’t understand why it’s so popular, it’s like a dusty old toy shop where all the toys are in a glass case.
Maritime museum has a few good bits but I’d say not very interesting for a 6 year old at all.
Science museum or Natural Histiry get my vote. The dinosaurs do get busy but if you’ve not done it before the dinos have the wow factor.

nancy75 Tue 21-Nov-17 22:40:48

We live 10 minutes from the horniman so maybe done it too many times but it doesn’t compare to the big central London museums & there’s nothing else there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now