Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Colleague won't bloody stop texting me

(30 Posts)
toointrovertedforthis Tue 21-Nov-17 20:43:52

She's very nice but I don't want to talk to her! We work on the same team .

She Whatsapps, texts and FBs me on the hour every evening and I can't take much more blush

Do I need to put on my big girl pants and have a word? Is asking HR to intervene pathetic?

AlwaysLookOnBrightsideOfLife Tue 21-Nov-17 20:44:57

Do you reply to her when she messages or is she messaging without response each time?

Nicknacky Tue 21-Nov-17 20:45:07

Tell her when you are out of work you like peace and quiet and not to message unless it's important.

Involving hr at this stage is over reacting. Deal with it yourself first.

LaurieFairyCake Tue 21-Nov-17 20:45:23

Just don’t click on them confused and don’t reply

Next day tell her you were having all night anal

She will never ask again

paxillin Tue 21-Nov-17 20:45:43

Don't answer, she'll stop.

toointrovertedforthis Tue 21-Nov-17 20:46:33

I answered at first but have been ignoring her and she is STILL going.

Supermagicsmile Tue 21-Nov-17 20:47:17

Don't reply!! Don't open them either as she'll know you've read them.

OlennasWimple Tue 21-Nov-17 20:49:56

Just ignore tonight, and then tomorrow tell her that you don't read messages from work colleagues outside the office unless you know that there is an emergency situation.

Involving HR would be waaaaay over the top at this stage

Lozmatoz Tue 21-Nov-17 20:55:07

Tell her you’re finding all the messages overwhelming and that you can’t read them all and maybe you’d prefer to chat at work.

Giraffey1 Tue 21-Nov-17 20:57:41

This is a good reason for keeping work and Facebook / WhatsApp etc separate., in my book. I would not answer any of her messages outside work, be strict about this! And at work, I’d say, look, when I get home I like to forget about work so I won’t be answering any messages out of hours.

Snap8TheCat Tue 21-Nov-17 21:03:48

What is she saying?

HelenUrth Tue 21-Nov-17 21:04:22

Reply "Let's chat about it at work tomorrow smile". Every time.

FlowerPotMum Tue 21-Nov-17 21:16:25

Block her and pretend you're phone broke! 🙈

FlowerPotMum Tue 21-Nov-17 21:16:46

*your

oldlaundbooth Tue 21-Nov-17 21:17:56

Oh god this is gonna be me I just know it. Gave a new colleague my number and I can just tell she's gonna be a stalker.

Dunno? Just don't answer?

TotemIcePole Tue 21-Nov-17 21:18:28

Dont read them.

Tomorrow & everyday, just say "I leave my phone in my bag"

Badweekjustgotworse Tue 21-Nov-17 21:18:49

Is it work related texting?

mumonashoestring Tue 21-Nov-17 21:20:48

Is she texting you about work or has she latched on to you as her special very best BFF?

Believeitornot Tue 21-Nov-17 21:22:34

Say “sorry am busy in the evenings, let’s catch up tomo”.

Venusflytwat Tue 21-Nov-17 21:28:21

Just keep not replying!
Every morning say
“Sorry, was out last night”
“Oh, I left my phone in my bag”
“Oh I put it onto charge and forgot”
Etc
She’ll give up within a week or two.

HR seems a bit mean.

oldlaundbooth Tue 21-Nov-17 21:33:11

Had an ex colleague /friend who used to do this who had FOUR kids - she'd call me to chat whilst cooking dinner for them all, it was so loud etc I don't know why she bothered.

tectonicplates Tue 21-Nov-17 22:21:37

Are the messages actually about work?

SlipperShuffler Tue 21-Nov-17 22:33:29

That’s pretty persistent, OP! Texts are easy to ignore though, compared to calls or loads of missed calls. Hopefully persistent ignoring will get the message across, and if not, just say you don’t really use your phone much in the evenings (this is my excuse for someone similar).

paxillin Tue 21-Nov-17 23:05:40

Don't go in with "didn't look/ charging/ phone kaput" excuses, they suggest you'd normally answer and service will resume. If she asks, just shrug with an "oh well, tell me now". If a few days of ignoring them doesn't solve it, you will need to talk to her. Just ask her why she texts so much.

Do not involve HR, that would be a bit like calling the police when your colleague took your stapler. Talk.

BubblesBuddy Tue 21-Nov-17 23:15:32

You need to try and deal with it yourself first on the lines suggested by several posters above.

However the definition of harassment from the Director of Public Prosecutions might be useful if it escalates and she does not stop. This would be unwanted communication that tips over into harassment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now