Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Would anyone give their child a day off for this?

(96 Posts)
retainertrainer Tue 21-Nov-17 18:19:56

DS 8,year 4 is an exhausted mess this week. Very teary. We've just tried to do his maths homework and he couldn't do a simple 9 take away 6 (he's not struggling academically he's just knackered). They've been doing assessments the last 2 days in preparation for parents evening.

DH is off work tomorrow and I'm so tempted to keep him off just to let him rest and reset.

Would you be tempted to? I'd tell him he's having a day off because I think he's run down. I do wonder if he's coming down with something.

CoffeebyIV Tue 21-Nov-17 18:21:04

Why on earth do they need to do assessments for parents evening? The poor children.

Justmuddlingalong Tue 21-Nov-17 18:21:36

Nope. A bath and an early night.

Sirzy Tue 21-Nov-17 18:21:42

No I wouldnt. I may skip the homework and I would certainly be doing early/relaxing nights but I wouldn’t keep off school.

Plan a very relaxing weekend instead

dantdmistedious Tue 21-Nov-17 18:23:52

Nope I wouldn’t. Ditch the homework and early night. FWIW my year 2 6 year loads are beyond exhausted with the amount of stuff they have going on st school at the moment.

Wolfiefan Tue 21-Nov-17 18:24:06

I wouldn't. Bath and early bed yes. Is he doing too much after school?

scurryfunge Tue 21-Nov-17 18:24:17

Treat him to something at the weekend instead. Agree with early bed after a relaxing evening.

MsGameandWatching Tue 21-Nov-17 18:25:23

I would. I do, once or twice a term when dd is really struggling. She has high functioning autism and manages very well but every now and then she gets up and I can see it's taking everything she's got to get her game face on ready for school so I let her have the day off.

OuchBollocks Tue 21-Nov-17 18:26:48

I would. My mum had me take a day off for the same reason during my A Levels and it did no harm so I cannot imagine a day off to recharge at 8 years old doing much damage. What's he going to learn if he's that wrecked anyway?

Mishappening Tue 21-Nov-17 18:27:14

I would. As an adult he needs to be able to assess when he is in need of rest and act on it, and this is a good opportunity for him to learn this skill.

CuppaSarah Tue 21-Nov-17 18:28:18

Only you can make that judgement. It is a very tiring term though. Schools are in full Christmas prep mode, the nights draw in so early. Assesments on top of that is a lot for such young children. Could he have the morning off as he seems unwell but perked up later?

LostwithSawyer Tue 21-Nov-17 18:29:54

I wouldn't. Early night.

Ttbb Tue 21-Nov-17 18:34:41

It depends how bad it is. Would be more likely to skip homework and have an early night and see how he is in the morning.

GertrudeBelle Tue 21-Nov-17 18:36:48

No way. Bad precedent. Bath and early to bed. Unlikely to be so exhausted that 12-13 hours sleep can't sort it.

retainertrainer Tue 21-Nov-17 18:47:37

I put the homework away as soon as the tears started. He's now in bed after a dose of calpol,sobbing himself to sleep.

Sod this,I will keep him off tomorrow if he's no better in the morning. Far too much pressure on them. He's got a good attendance record,he works hard in class,he's doing well academically.

I can't see what harm it'd do.

TigerBreadAddict Tue 21-Nov-17 18:49:33

I would!

mustbemad17 Tue 21-Nov-17 18:49:42

Absolutely. There's absolutely no need for an 8 year old to be coming home so knackered & by the sounds of it, emotionally washed out.

Day off to doss about & chill is definitely in order imo

GerrytheBerry Tue 21-Nov-17 18:52:20

Your a lovely mummy for even thinking of it but I would send him tomorrow as long as he's well.

FretYeNot Tue 21-Nov-17 18:55:32

Sounds like he's exhausted, and possibly coming down with something. I'd assess in the morning but wouldn't fret about keeping him off.

Fekko Tue 21-Nov-17 18:57:56

Maybe he is fighting something off. DS used to get difficult when he was getting poorly - next day he would have a raging temperature, and if feel worse for thinking he was being bratty the day before.

whyareusernamessodifficult Tue 21-Nov-17 18:58:00

Poor babe. I’d definitely keep him off.
Primary school children shouldn’t be put under so much stress that they’re so tired they’re in tears.
Plus he’s only 8. He’s not going to fall behind from one day off.

retainertrainer Tue 21-Nov-17 18:58:12

I'll see how he is,he's asleep now-I do actually think he's coming down with something.

What is the issue with keeping them off? It doesn't sit well with me but I'm not sure why. He's not doing this just cause he fancies a day off/wants to skive,he's genuinely overwhelmed and tired. I think it's important to look after their mental health.

Allyg1185 Tue 21-Nov-17 18:58:31

I wouldn't not unless I thought ds was maybe coming down with something. An early nite and cuddles

Time4adrink Tue 21-Nov-17 19:00:55

Give him a duvet day.

Bubblebubblepop Tue 21-Nov-17 19:02:25

Why is he so tired? I wouldn't keep him off just have early nights all week and quiet weekend s

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now