Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

MotoGP Silverstone

(9 Posts)
Happiness2017 Tue 21-Nov-17 15:57:41

Has anyone been to MotoGP at Silverstone?

I'm booking this as a gift, looking at places to stay etc as it starts to get expensive.

Has anyone been and can you tell me if it was worth it and how to keep costs down?

lalalalyra Tue 21-Nov-17 18:54:37

I go every year. It's not the best weekend of the season (Barcelona is my fave and it worked out just as cheap as Silvo), but it's very good.

Camping is cheapest, but we always stay a short drive away. Either Premier Inn at Banbury or Travelodge/Park Inn Northampton. For Banbury we drive in each day - it only takes about 15/20 minutes. Northampton we do the shuttle buses. The Days Inn at Watford Gap is also an easy drive in an out each day.

We usually sit in Luffield or Woodcote as the view of the last corner and straight is good, but there's a good roof in case of weather.

Don't bother with the pit walk. It's been shit for the last few years. Day of Champions on the Thursday is a better bet if you want to book an extra.

Happiness2017 Wed 22-Nov-17 12:10:24

Oh thanks for that. I wouldn't have had a clue about where to sit on the circuit. Didn't even cross my mind.

Have you used taxis from either of the hotels mentioned? If its anything like the other racing events we've been to, we don't want to take the car ideally.

I've just looked at Barcelona and it does work out roughly the same! He always says he wants to go there, so it would be perfect! I can't seem to find flights to go with the dates though. Maybe just me!

What is the day of Champions? Ideally we would keep the costs right down, the tickets are £150 for the cheapest ones. I'm sure its definitely worth it though.

lalalalyra Thu 23-Nov-17 23:40:38

There are flights from Manchester for the Barcelona dates, don't know about anywhere else.

If you do Barcelona then book your tickets through book moto - they can also sort you a link to the coach website. You can get he bus from Barcelona coach station to montmelo for around 12 euro a day. It's better than the train as the bus stops at the top of one of the hills (there is a hill to the circuit still) rather than the longer walk from the train (train is about a 45 min walk to the circuit which is fine in the morning when it's cool, but murder going back if it's hit).

The main grandstand at montmelo has a roof so is the best bet for sun protection.

Re taxis at Silvo - I haven't. The shuttle bus from Northampton only took 40 minutes and was reliable so we stuck with that. Much cheaper than a taxi too (£17 a day or £33 for a weekend ticket).

Day of champions is a charity day on the Thursday. The riders are around more so better chance of meeting them.

If you have the choice between the two I'd do Barcelona. The pit walk is free. The Spanish riders all come out for it. The sun is usually out and it's a good race.

Happiness2017 Mon 27-Nov-17 15:34:53

I've come to realise we can't make the Barcelona dates. Gutted!!

One last question (I hope) is it worth doing the whole weekend or would the last day be enough?

lalalalyra Mon 27-Nov-17 15:43:57

That's a shame. If you can do 2 weeks later and fancy Holland then Assen is really good. You can get good AirBnB's in Gronigen and then get the bus to track.

For Silverstone I always do the whole weekend, but race day alone is fun. You do miss out on things like seeing the riders on stage and having the freedom to sit at other points of the track (friday and Saturday is roaming seats so you can sit where you like. Sunday is specified seats).

A lot of people go for one day. It's certainly not 'not worth it' if you know what I mean.

Happiness2017 Mon 04-Dec-17 15:58:46

Oh I've just had chance to check this and seen this post.

I've gone ahead and booked the 3 day ticket in Silverstone, with parking so there are options. Even if we only make two out three days, still value for money.

I'm so excited now. Thanks for all your help!!

Dailystuck71 Mon 04-Dec-17 16:57:56

I was just about to suggest Mugello. Better than Barcelona IMO! I am sure silverstone will be good!

MrsWOLF1 Mon 04-Dec-17 17:52:03

We go to Barcelona moto gp every year .Fab track ,stay in Barcelona and get the train up to the track ,buses go from train station up to the track ,you can walk but it's usually boiling hot .Flights ,we go out on the Thursday before the race and come back either Monday or Tuesday ,vueling from gatwick, or easy jet .If you go you will have a fab weekend

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now