Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

A Tesco van has killed my car

(61 Posts)
Tawdrylocalbrouhaha Tue 21-Nov-17 14:34:55

Last Tuesday a Tesco van drove out of a side road and crashed into my car (the driver didn't realise traffic was coming from his right). Nobody is disputing that it was his fault.

My car is 17 years old, but in excellent condition, apart from where the van hit it. My insurer is now saying that because the bumper, bonnet, wheel arch, light etc were damaged, it would cost at least £1500 to fix, which exceeds the value of the car. They want to pay me £800 and scrap the car.

Does this sound right? I am not at fault and I am about to be massively out of pocket because of another drivers' carelessness. Could my insurer really not reclaim the cost of repairing my car from Tescos insurers? My car has been cherished since it was new, and I DEFINITELY can't find an equivalent car for £800, so my losses are not being made good at all.

Aliosa Tue 21-Nov-17 14:37:03

£800 is a starting point

Email back stating you’ve owned it since new, what repairs/servicing you’ve had done. Find examples online for a higher price. Don’t accept the £800

TheFairyCaravan Tue 21-Nov-17 14:39:23

Do a search on Autotrader and see what the same car in a similar condition is being sold for.

Donkey's years ago when I wrote my car off they offered me a low price to start with but I said no, and they upped it.

Sirzy Tue 21-Nov-17 14:39:50

Can you look on the likes of auto trader to find examples of cars same age similar condition?

Unfortunately a17 year old car probably isn’t going to be worth much more than that unless it’s a very high end one

Tawdrylocalbrouhaha Tue 21-Nov-17 14:40:28

I guess I will have to, although what I really want is for them to just fix my car like it was before the van hit it.

nocake Tue 21-Nov-17 14:41:04

You should be able to replace it with an equivalent car (similar model, age and mileage). If you think you can't, find some examples of similar cars on AutoTrader and send them to the insurance company with a request that the amount be raised.

Sirzy Tue 21-Nov-17 14:41:08

If the repairs are approximately twice the value of car sadly I can’t see them agreeing to that

Anymajordude Tue 21-Nov-17 14:47:03

Get a quote from another garage and check autotrader. This happened to me. In the end we got another garage to do a repair for a fraction of the price the insurance people quoted. Insurers fix to a very high standard, we realized we were going to run the car into the ground so didn't mind a few scratches as long as it was sound. It was our only option really as insurance weren't going to pay a write off fee anywhere near what a replacement would cost.

Neverexpected2 Tue 21-Nov-17 14:48:36

You could ask for a cash on leiu sum instead ie they don't write it off and give you the 800 so you can use it to repair it and get it roadworthy again

BananaSandwichesEveryDay Tue 21-Nov-17 14:49:15

Sadly, that sounds like a fairly generous offer to me. We bought a new car recently, replacing the 19 year old car we'd had from new. It too, had been well maintained - never failed an mot- regularly serviced and as you say, cherished. Best offer we had was £50 from a scrap yard.
Is it worth contacting the insurer to find out why they won't repair it, after all, from what you say, the cost would be borne by the Tesco insurer, not yours.

Tawdrylocalbrouhaha Tue 21-Nov-17 14:50:31

Good idea, I'll ask a local body shop what they can do for £800. I agree the insurers are unlikely to fix it at their price. The only problem is the lights and casings need replacing, so it's not just hammering out.

Poor Bluey. What a way to go.

Jenala Tue 21-Nov-17 14:53:06

My mum did what Never suggested. Took the money to repair it. Local garage did it for much less than insurance paid so she ended up with some extra money.

Tawdrylocalbrouhaha Tue 21-Nov-17 14:53:42

I suppose Direct Line can only get back from Tescos insurers (Aviva) the value of the car? Bet they're delighted the driver didn't plough into a new Jaguar!

MadeForThis Tue 21-Nov-17 15:04:02

When my car was written off after a being rear ended at approx 30mph the insurance company offered me a fair write off amount.

However they also said I could use that to buy my broken car from them and fix it myself.

If an insurance company fox a car I believe they have to use an approved/manufacturer garage who charge a fortune for parts and labour. A local garage could fix cheaper.

Why not ask for some quotes to repair the car and see if you could buy the car back from the insurance company.

thecatneuterer Tue 21-Nov-17 15:04:41

An almost identical thing happened to me (except it was a bin lorry that concertina-ed my car into the one behind when it was parked).

I managed to get the original offer up by a few hundred as I was able to show the money I had recently spent on the car - in theory making it worth more than the book value. I was still out of pocket though.

thecatneuterer Tue 21-Nov-17 15:05:37

I also got a hire car for a week paid for by the bin lorry's insurance.

tiggersdontlikehoney Tue 21-Nov-17 15:06:27

Definitely do some research before accepting this

I was initially told by insurers my car was Cat D (scrap) and offered £800.

Did a search on Autotrader, where I found a near-identical vehicle valued at £1600, went back with this. Also told them they were not having the car for scrap - as had been advised by a mechanic in the family that sometimes old cars are pretty valuable for their parts and they could just be trying to get hold of it.

They then increased the sum offered and it is Cat C.

This meant I got to keep the car, which only had cosmetic damage, and took the payout.

In your case, not sure as mine was/is driveable - in fact has just passed its MOT with flying colours not even an advisory. If its not driveable, chances are they will not fix it, as to them they won't pay over a certain % value of the car for repairs and certainly not over the total value. For an old car that won't be a lot. It does suck when some prat comes out of nowhere and smashes into your otherwise perfectly sound car flowers

Tawdrylocalbrouhaha Tue 21-Nov-17 15:11:08

Oh my car is driveable. They have put the salvage category as "N". Not sure what that means but I'm guessing nobody is queueing up for parts!

Fontella Tue 21-Nov-17 15:12:09

When you have an old car like this, and it is involved in a collision, this is sadly the decision that has to be made.

My car is 20 years old and I have recently had the engine completely rebuilt and a partial respray and some bodywork done. It was my choice to do that of course, I could have scrapped it and put the money spent towards something else, but I love my old car and decided to spend the money on it.

However, if it was involved in an accident and was a write off, I would get peanuts back from the insurance company because the 'book price' is so low. Same if I tried to trade it in - it's worthless. In car terms it's an old piece of junk that isn't worth anything, but to me it's my lovely little car that I have invested a lot of time and money into.

If you want to keep your old car then your only option is that you take whatever the insurance company is offering and accept that you may have to pay for some work yourself to keep it on the road.

Tawdrylocalbrouhaha Tue 21-Nov-17 15:13:56

In fairness to my insurers they have offered a hire car and replacement car seats (not needed, the average speed bump jolts a car more than this crash). It's just their main offer I'm unhappy about.

whiskyowl Tue 21-Nov-17 15:14:38

I had this too. I managed to get mine back, and to get a payout from the insurance on top. I drove it around for a bit with the bodyshop markings on it before getting a new car a few months later, when I was ready.

pisacake Tue 21-Nov-17 15:15:17

Buy a similar car for whatever it costs, and file a small claim against Tesco.

You don't need your insurer to handle it, Tesco are fully liable to put you back in the same position as before.

Ermm Tue 21-Nov-17 15:16:07

You could accept the £800 and ask if you can keep the car - i.e. then you can pay the difference to repair. They are able to refuse to repair if exceeds the value of the car.

Allthebestnamesareused Tue 21-Nov-17 15:18:19

They will offer the value of the car only. If the cost to fix the car is more than the value they only have to pay the value. the car is treated as beyond economical repair (BER) and is therefore written off.

You are only entitled to the value of your car.

they will claim it back from Tesco's insurers and therefore you may also be able to claim for a hire car until you have received payment.

It is always unfortunate when an older car is written off in this way because it is always worth more to you as a running car than cash!

viques Tue 21-Nov-17 15:21:39

My dd had a similar incident with a Royal Mail van. turned out RM had a whole department who dealt with their vans bashing other cars, and they were very helpful. Perhaps Tescos have similar.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now