Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

'Pissed' -v- 'pissed off'

(96 Posts)
Aridane Tue 21-Nov-17 11:42:51

I'm increasingly noticing on Mumsnet that posters refer to themselves as being 'pissed' (annoyed rather than drunk!) instead of 'pissed off'.

I had always thought 'pissed' was an Americanism - or has English language usage now moved on and it's common to say 'pissed'? (Or is it a Mumsnet thing?)

JustGettingStarted Tue 21-Nov-17 11:45:38

Pissed in the UK means drunk, and in the US it means annoyed/angry. So, you're right.

However, there are plenty of non-British posters on here.

SmellTheGlove Tue 21-Nov-17 11:45:56

Annoying Americanism. Pissed means drunk. Gotten is very widely used now too which also annoys me hugely. I'm not a massive language pedant but Americanisms do wind me up...

Wolfiefan Tue 21-Nov-17 11:46:15

It's better than fumming! grin

HateSummer Tue 21-Nov-17 11:47:58

Pissed = drunk
Pissed off = annoyed

I absolutely loathe the word “piss”. It’s one of the worst words in the dictionary. <barfs>.

Freshprincess Tue 21-Nov-17 11:49:03

My sis says it. It's really annoying. I pretend to not know what she means 'of course I'm not pissed with D.C.'s, they are too young to drink'
She also says 'on the weekend' instead of 'at the weekend'.
Shes only been to America once so not sure where she's picked it up.

steppemum Tue 21-Nov-17 11:50:47

pissed =drunk
pissed off = annoyed

<gavel>

FrustratedTeddyLamp Tue 21-Nov-17 11:51:36

Pissed is drunk, pissed off Is angry to me, but I don’t see why people care about Americanisms so much.

JustGettingStarted Tue 21-Nov-17 11:51:53

Aside from the non-British posters on here, yes, there are changes in usage to the language. Probably driven by American media. As long as you consume American media, it's going to happen.

I'm bemused by the pearl clutching over it, frankly. It all sounds very xenophobic and insecure.

JustGettingStarted Tue 21-Nov-17 11:53:34

And for those who purse their lips and declare that the British usage, is, by definition, the correct one: the majority of the American usages have their origins in Britain, pre-1776.

ColinsVeryJolly Tue 21-Nov-17 11:56:26

If I'm angry and telling someone I'm pissed off, I'll sometimes drop the 'off' and just say 'I'm pissed..." Because when I say 'off' especially if I'm shouting, my Shropshire accent becomes very strong and I get the piss ripped out of me for sounding like a farmer grin

I'm not trying to be American, honest.

Shizzler Tue 21-Nov-17 12:03:16

Pissed to mean drunk is far too well established for this other 'pissed' to make any sense to me. Just seems like a silly affectation when said by non Americans.

AllTheWittyNamesAreGone Tue 21-Nov-17 12:05:38

Americanisms are treated with the same disgust as paedophilia on mumsnet but nobody cares in real life

Catalufa Tue 21-Nov-17 12:07:59

Pissed (meaning annoyed) is an Americanism, but it’s normal for a language to evolve and be influenced by other cultures. So eventually I think this new meaning will be widely accepted in the UK.

Davros Tue 21-Nov-17 12:24:02

Our use of pissed off as in annoyed is one of the few things I’ve noticed being adopted by Americans, I.e. the opposite way to how it usually happens. I’ve noticed a lot of Americans on TV and in American films using the term “pissed off” for angry. I can’t think of any specific examples though blush

Shizzler Tue 21-Nov-17 12:29:53

Next we’ll be adopting the American definition of fanny. That will get us in all sorts of scrapes wink

I have an American friend who’s a total Anglophile and his slang is all ‘bloody’, ‘wanker’, 'rubbish’, 'brilliant’.

JustGettingStarted Tue 21-Nov-17 12:42:05

Davros I remember "pissed off" being used in small town Ohio 40 years ago.

amusedbush Tue 21-Nov-17 12:42:15

She also says 'on the weekend' instead of 'at the weekend'.

My American colleague says 'on accident' instead of 'by accident' and it makes me want to rip my skin off angry

Butteredparsn1ps Tue 21-Nov-17 12:43:44

I get the meaning of pissed. I just think folk need to complete their sentences.

spankhurst Tue 21-Nov-17 12:44:31

I've noticed it too. It means drunk to me. Nowt else.

OkPedro Tue 21-Nov-17 12:47:42

Personally I think "I could care less" is worse.
To a pp who mentioned gotten.. got get and gotten are widely used in the wrong way in Ireland..including by me

oldlaundbooth Tue 21-Nov-17 12:48:18

Pissed is an Americanism.

I live across the pond and am now used to saying 'pissed' meaning annoyed rather than drunk.

Interestingly if you say to an American 'he's taking the piss' they don't know what you mean. 'Taking the mickey' means nothing either.

IsItThursdayYet Tue 21-Nov-17 12:48:36

Oh for heaven's sake, does it matter? You understand what they mean, therefore it serves it's purpose.

Also for the person complaining about 'gotten' it's actually an Old English word, not an Americanism.

SomewhatIdiosyncratic Tue 21-Nov-17 12:48:43

I've no love for Americanisms sneaking in. Usually, words like "gotten" just sound a bit clunky and jarring, but "pissed" does irritate me because it can change the meaning causing confusion. "Off" isn't a great hardship to say or type to retain clarity rather than having people puzzling over why you were drunk in an inappropriate context before working our it was a badly applied Americanism.

oldlaundbooth Tue 21-Nov-17 12:50:02

Hold your horses
Hang fire

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now