Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

awful customer service, but what can I realistically do about it?

(43 Posts)
whereismysofa Tue 21-Nov-17 11:20:11

Here's the story:

September: went to sofa shop, ordered a chair and a sofa. Was given delivery date (6 weeks). Two days after that, we decided to add another matching sofa to the order. Called, spoke to employee, placed the order by phone; employee said she had added the new sofa to the order for the two other pieces, all no problem.

October: delivery day. Only the original chair and sofa were delivered. Called the store - no one had any trace of any third piece ordered and knew nothing about it. After investigation, it turned out the employee had "forgotten all about it" and hadn't ever ordered it at all. New order put in for the missing piece, was assured they would "do all they could" to expedite delivery but realistically we were looking at another six weeks. Was given delivery date of week beginning 20/11, i.e. this week.

Today: No phone call to tell us sofa was on its way. I call the store. Store employee calls the supplier to chase and gets told they have "run out of fabric" and won't be getting more in until 11 December. Store employee says she knew nothing about this. So who knows if we'll even see the sofa this side of Christmas. Having ordered it first time round in early September.

My first thought is ... really? The supplier didn't call the store to let them know they couldn't fulfil some orders and they might want to let their customers know? I'm not sure I can even believe that. Why isn't the store keeping tabs on orders that are supposed to be arriving each week. How could this POSSIBLY have come as a surprise?

I would gladly tell them to keep their sofa but no other store stocks it, it's the only style we've seen that we both really love, and we have the original armchair and sofa and need them all to match, so in a way they're got us over a barrel. Grrr.

What realistically can I do? Apparently the manager is not in today but will call me tomorrow "to discuss". I want to be prepared for this. Thoughts?

17caterpillars1mouse Tue 21-Nov-17 11:23:31

Is it sofalogy by any chance?

whereismysofa Tue 21-Nov-17 11:25:25

No, not Sofology. I think an even worse company!

BitOutOfPractice Tue 21-Nov-17 11:27:32

I'd be worried that they will actually match properly as well.

Sorry that's not helpful

Pringlemunchers Tue 21-Nov-17 11:28:45

I think I would think about how I would like the situation resolved ? What do you think is reasonable ?

whereismysofa Tue 21-Nov-17 11:29:29

Yes, I'm worried about that too. It's another argument I'll be bringing up.

whereismysofa Tue 21-Nov-17 11:34:23

Thanks, pringle. Well I'd just like my sofa delivered but it sounds like that just isn't going to happen, as the fabric can't be magicked out of nowhere. The store had assured us after they messed up first time round that they would keep an eye on the order, do all they could to get it delivered early etc, so they clearly, once again, haven't done so. I'd REALLY like the company to get totally slandered everywhere, lose all their custom and close down, but that isn't going to happen either smile.

I am so furious with the company and have no faith in the manager to sort this out (I had some email exchanges with him last time round and he is an illiterate buffoon, frankly, who can't even write a professional email).

I suppose the only thing I can realistically hope for is a discounted price, which I'm not even that bothered about!

dorislessingscat Tue 21-Nov-17 11:37:40

I had a very similar experience. The shop loaned me a very ugly sofa in the short term so I had something to sit on.

I know you really really want your sofa but it it ain't happening then you need a plan b.

Have they offered you compensation?

Novemberblues Tue 21-Nov-17 11:37:43

op why cant you tell us which company this is, people openly moan about different places all the time, why the secrecy?

whereismysofa Tue 21-Nov-17 11:43:28

Ah, no secrecy, it's Fabb Sofas. Happy to name and shame and warn others.

No compensation offered yet but I think that's probably the only thing I can really ask for, isn't it? The complete lack of customer care is awful but I know that realistically I can't do anything very much other than shout at them a bit.

StylishDuck Tue 21-Nov-17 11:50:05

Are you/they on Twitter or Facebook? That's usually a good way of naming and shaming them and getting a response from customer services.

Bodicea Tue 21-Nov-17 11:55:39

Just a thought op. Could you not stick with the original sofa and chair ( after negotiating a hefty discount for your trouble) and get something contrasting instead to replace the extra you ordered? Three piece matching suites are a bit out of fashion these days anyway.

viques Tue 21-Nov-17 11:56:34

I think the very least I would expect them to do is to refund any delivery charges (if they charged) and to refund the cost of the armchair. I would also like a grovelling apology and a bunch of flowers.

Chrys2017 Tue 21-Nov-17 11:56:46

Mismatched sofas can look just as good (and actually better IMO). Tell the shop to get stuffed!

Kazzyhoward Tue 21-Nov-17 11:58:51

Why isn't the store keeping tabs on orders that are supposed to be arriving each week.

Because they're just low quality sales staff who don't give a monkeys once they have your order and money. They're all the same. We've had similar problems with Bensons, Carpetright, Harveys, Sofaland, DFS. The sales staff only care about their commissions and their next pay packet. I've learned to my cost never to trust them or expect them to check on things - I always check directly myself these days.

whereismysofa Tue 21-Nov-17 12:00:26

They don't actually have a customer service department! I tried to go down that route first time round but apparently every store has its own manager and there is nothing more centralised at all (even though they have around a dozen branches, I think). I did tweet about them a lot before and left a scathing review on Google reviews but it had absolutely no effect - they don't seem to have much of a presence and shaming them on social media doesn't seem to work.

Bodicea, I had thought about that but we already have a very bold feature piece in another part of the room (it's all quite big and open plan) so we wanted these three pieces which will all fit together really well where we want them. The big chair has a nice big wool blanket on it which makes it look a bit different anyway. Argh. I'd love nothing more than to tell them where to stick their sofa but it would be cutting off my nose to spite my face.

Morphene Tue 21-Nov-17 12:04:53

That's really shit. To be honest, even if you managed to put them out of business they would just phoenix up with a new but slightly different name...because capitalism is synonymous with fraud these days...

Ellie56 Tue 21-Nov-17 12:08:02

This is appalling customer service. I'd say I want the whole lot reordering (and delivered free) so everything matches.

whereismysofa Tue 21-Nov-17 12:12:36

You have all been so helpful, thank you (and for letting me rant!). viques, I think you have the right idea, and that is the avenue I'll go down.

I do hear you with ideas of doing mismatched sofas, I really do, but I don't want to have to change my plans because of their crap service, grrr!

They were started by some ex-directors of DFS, who promised "a different kind of sofa store". If by different, they mean one where you don't actually ever get your sofa, then yes, they've nailed it quite well ...

OlennasWimple Tue 21-Nov-17 12:14:26

Honestly, I would cut my losses, get a full refund and order a very different sofa from somewhere else

I'd be worried that if it did show up, the second sofa would be covered in fabric from a different batch that didn't quite match the first and that would irritate me every time I looked at it

Puzzledandpissedoff Tue 21-Nov-17 12:17:31

It appears they're a very new company, owned by the ex-head of DFS

That being the case, I'd personally want this sorting out before Christmas. Furniture companies often have the lifespan of mayflies, and if their seasonal sales are less than they hope you could easily find they morph into something else in the new year - something which they might claim has nothing at all to do with the company you ordered from

whereismysofa Tue 21-Nov-17 12:20:27

Yes, another good point puzzled. I hadn't thought of that. I'm noting all of these down so that I can prepare my argument.

Ellendegeneres Tue 21-Nov-17 12:20:47

Oh no op that's terrible. Not the Orpington branch? Was looking to buy one from there... may have to go on the hunt again ☹️

Puzzledandpissedoff Tue 21-Nov-17 12:31:40

I'm noting all of these down so that I can prepare my argument

A wise idea, but don't expect them to take much notice; as PPs have said, they really don't care once they have your money. Too many of these places are full of hot air "Ooooo it's massively successful - we're run off our feet!!" and then gone the next time you drive by

Personally I'd insist on a refund and go to a local, well established company who actually make their own furniture. I did this myself, after hesitating because of their notoriously high prices ... but no; they'd lost so much business to the "fly by nights" that they now charge no more and still give the same brilliant service

Chrys2017 Tue 21-Nov-17 12:56:45

If you want a matching suite then I would insist on a full refund and take my business elsewhere. You are entitled to do this because they have only supplied part of your order and have not supplied the remainder within a reasonable timeframe (30 days). They are also responsible for arranging the collection of the previously-delivered sofa and chair at their own expense and at a time that is convenient for you.

You could also say (after stating the above) that however, you are willing to keep the two items already delivered provided the outstanding sofa is delivered before Christmas and you are not charged for it. (If you want to, that is!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now