Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

What savoury snacks do you give your toddlers?

(24 Posts)
NoSwsForYou Tue 21-Nov-17 08:25:20

DS is 18 months old and generally a good eater. He's gluten intolerant so I find it much easier and cheaper to batch cook and freeze the vast majority of his meals so I know he has a (for the most part) healthy diet and he very very rarely has refined sugar.

The problem I'm finding is that i struggle to think of snacks that aren't sweet. We've always got those nakd bars in because they're gluten and refined sugar free, but he won't eat say carrot sticks or cucumber sticks or things like that as a snack even though he'll wolf them down in a meal.

What savoury snacks do you give your children?? I'm having a proper mind blank!

BasinHaircut Tue 21-Nov-17 08:32:23

TBH DS had a fair few crisps.

I feel for you. DS was dairy free and that was hard enough and I had to practically make all his food from scratch. I can’t imagine how tricky gluten free is!

LiveLifeWithPassion Tue 21-Nov-17 08:34:27

Boiled egg
Roasted chick peas

skippybobobo Tue 21-Nov-17 08:35:54

They don't need snacks .
3 meals is fine

Kpo58 Tue 21-Nov-17 08:37:27

Can he have rice cakes?

Crumbs1 Tue 21-Nov-17 08:39:19

Mine use different to have cheese cubes, red pepper sticks, cherry tomatoes, marmite on toast, peanut butter finger sandwiches, rice cakes, cold plain pasta (or warmed with hot water), tomato risotto leftovers made into arancini, cold homemade chicken nuggets.

On the whole I tried to avoid too many snacks though. They were almost a replacement for supper if we were out for older ones activities.

piggleiggle83949 Tue 21-Nov-17 08:51:48

*They don't need snacks .
3 meals is fine*

The op is asking because her kid does have snacks though. Some are hungrier than others or don’t yet eat big enough portions in one go.

I always gave mine
Chopped up raw fruit or veg
Crackers
Toast
Oat cakes
Breadsticks
Cheese cubes
‘Healthier’ crisps
Cereal
Cereal bars

scrivette Tue 21-Nov-17 08:52:13

Cheese cubes, carrot sticks, banana, always with a cup of warm milk.

MollyHuaCha Tue 21-Nov-17 08:58:19

Individual cheese portion.
Organix carrot stix (gluten free)
Mini rice cakes

Pumperthepumper Tue 21-Nov-17 09:06:23

Mine would walk over hot coals for peanut butter on oatcakes/rice cakes. Or toasted pitta cut into fingers, sainsburys do good gluten-free ones.

ArcheryAnnie Tue 21-Nov-17 09:15:21

When my DS was a toddler he lived on marmite ricecakes - they are packaged for grownups, proper big ricecakes with a sort of dry coating of marmite (ie it doesn't get everywhere). He was absolutely obsessed with them.

NoSwsForYou Tue 21-Nov-17 09:48:48

Part of my problem is I've fallen into the trap of buying all the gluten free stuff and gets expensive!!

I'm aware that some children do not NEED snacks, but DS definitely does when he is having a growth spurt or is being particularly active. On some days he has breakfast at 7.30 and then lunch at 12/1 and dinner is 5.30/6. To me, if he has a bit of a midafternoon dip I am more than happy to give him something to eat, especially if he's had lunch at 12.

To the PP that said their child had a dog airy allergy... when we were figuring out what was wrong with DS I had my fingers crossed that it was 'just' gluten as I couldn't imagine how hard it must be with dairy!! Hats off to you!

I do bake and cook from scratch for him but as I've mentioned, the snacky stuff always seems to be sweet and expensive.

He can definitely eat rice cakes though, and maybe if I had a dip for him (he bloody loves dipping stuff st the moment) he would eat veg sticks.

Rufus27 Tue 21-Nov-17 12:12:36

Bread sticks with a dip (sweet or savoury) go down well with our fussy DS. Also, homemade Melba toast. Could you get gluten free versions of these? DS also likes the Kiddilicious bakes banana chips and baked coconut - not savoury, but pretty healthy. Strangely, DS also likes picking at cold sweetcorn (!) and cold baked beans.

Out of interest, how did you first recognise he is gluten intolerant? Our DS is the same age and I am beginning to wonder if he is.

Seacow87 Tue 21-Nov-17 18:36:21

Hi my little one if GF too. We use astro bites. They are oatcakes in space shapes. She loves then. Dried and fresh fruit. Yoyo bears. Yogurts. Fresh fruit ice lollies home made so no sugar or colours etc. Pea snacks. Carrot puffs.
Hope that helps xx

user1471495191 Tue 21-Nov-17 18:49:10

Babybels, cucumber/celery/pepper sticks, bread sticks, slices or chunks of cooked meat, raisins, fruit, oatcakes, cocktail sausages, cold cooked new potatoes, hummus, cold, cooked broccoli...

thenewaveragebear1983 Tue 21-Nov-17 18:55:36

My Ds is only allowed a biscuit when we collect his brother from school, but he pesters for snacks all day. Aside from fruit he'll have dry cereal in a bowl, a few crisps sometimes, bits of cheese, olives (he loves olives!!), cherry tomatoes, bits of peppers etc. He loves to graze!

NoSwsForYou Wed 22-Nov-17 12:46:26

Rufus technically we don't have a proper diagnosis, but as soon as we started weaning him he would get awful stomach pains. He was a good sleeper until weaning and then he would wake up screaming and not being able to be settled and he was a miserable bugger during the day too. Every time we took away solids and just breastfed him he was fine after a week or so. I took him to the doctors loads of times but they fobbed me off for a couple of months until I pissed them off enough to make a referral to paediatrics at about 9 months, by which time I was shattered because I was feeding him every three hours and through the night too.

He started tolerating food at around 9.5 months but still had awful periods of pain until one day in July he had toast for breakfast, a sandwich for lunch and pizza for dinner and he was in so much pain I cried. He'd just had blood tests done for coeliac disease etc but I decided to remove all gluten from his diet from then on and, even though he tested negative for coeliac, he hasn't had a flare up since and is a much happier child. As far as I'm aware, you can have an intolerance for gluten without being coeliac but I'm not a doctor - so I'm working with the idea that he's gluten intolerant. When he's old enough he can experiment himself with all the facts!! All I know is that he's not been in that sort of pain since we removed the gluten, although it took a few weeks to clear from his system.

RandomUsernameHere Wed 22-Nov-17 12:55:44

Poor him, that sounds horrible and must have been exhausting for both of you.
Was going to suggest nuts, my DC love them and they're really nutritious. I don't think there is any type they have tried and don't like.

user1500161471 Wed 22-Nov-17 13:15:27

Because you've taken gluten out of his system, he would be unlikely to test positive for coeliac now. I had to reintroduce gluten for four weeks to get the positive test and it was too much torture to complete the second week.

What about hummus as a dip with veggies? Greek yoghurt with agave as a sweetener? Jamie Oliver did baked fruit roll ups which keep for a while as a snack (naturally high in sugar though) GF crackers with cheese spread. GF toast with mashed banana, egg, peanut butter. I always freeze my bread if I'm not going to use it all to prevent waste.

Rufus27 Wed 22-Nov-17 19:24:07

NoSwsForYou That sounds awful. Poor little mite - but also poor Mum having to witness it!

Our DS has constant gas and constipation and I cant seem to shift things through diet alone. Even Movicol isnt enough some days. He's pale and sleeps more than his peers (13 hours at night and up to 3 in the day - he's 18 months). He's also small for his age, despite having tall parents. I've been to the GP a number of times but they seem to think it's nothing to worry about and that I should be grateful he does sleep so well! From what you say, it's probably not gluten intolerance, but I might experiment a bit to see if going gluten free temporarily makes any difference!

VelvetKK Wed 22-Nov-17 19:43:01

Rufus, I had my intolerance determined through a kinesiology practitioner. It's non invasive and as much as I was a non believer, I was desperate to give it a shot and it was definitely right with me. Might be something to think about to see if your wee one can get some relief x

NoSwsForYou Wed 22-Nov-17 21:51:18

user1500 his blood tests were done the day before I removed gluten, ironically the pizza for dinner was meant as a treat for being brave!! The doctor was adamant that he couldn't be intolerant if he wasn't coeliac, but good old Doctor internet says different and to be quite honest, she was so dismissive that I'm choosing to ignore her anyway!! He recently got hold of those little cocktail sausages and downed half a packet before I realised, and they aren't GF, he suffered for a good few nights after that, so that sort of confirmed it for me!

Rufus DS definitely was pale looking and he would get quite constipated but it seemed to depend on the type of gluten. For instance, he couldn't have toast more than every other day without being really constipated and porridge was a nightmare. Without wanting to knock the NHS I've only ever had a shitty time with them over DS. They absolutely fobbed me off at every opportunity, and I'm really not apushy petson, I found it difficult to keep going back to say 'listen something isn't right.' At the last paediatrician appointment she basically said that if I didn't tell her what was wrong, how could she diagnose anything?

pastabest Wed 22-Nov-17 22:04:31

Aldi has a range of corn based snacks (carrot sticks and tomato wheels) that are gluten free. They are similar to the Ella range but cheaper.

Rice cakes with various savoury toppings.

I would class a banana / yoghurt as semi savoury but I know many wouldn't.

As an aside some people can't be diagnosed as coeliac just through a blood test, my DP is one of them. It was confirmed after an endoscopy as the blood tests always come back negative for him.

Doje Wed 22-Nov-17 22:10:50

Sweet potato chips and sweetcorn fritters (which do have a spoonful of floor in, but I'm sure would work with a substitute).

And as pp's have suggested, cherry tomatoes, red / yellow pepper

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now