Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

on a scale of 1 to really daft; how stupid is this idea?

(117 Posts)
bananafish Mon 20-Nov-17 22:39:15

We're spending Christmas in France with DH's family. We're borrowing a friend's house as they very kindly said we could as they will be away.

This prompted DH (without asking me - that's a whole other thread) to invite the whole family for Christmas lunch. It will be around 20 people, and I wouldn't be surprised if others turned up.

We're doing a traditional Christmas lunch but I don't want a French turkey because they're not the same.

As we're taking the train - journey will be 7 hrs and then 90 minutes in the car - would it be madness to take a frozen turkey because it won't have defrosted in 9 hrs and then stick it in the fridge when I get there?

Obviously wrapped to the nines and any other precaution I can think of - I can't imagine I'll get stopped at customs, surely.

Is it feasible?

LewisFan Mon 20-Nov-17 23:21:23

What's wrong with getting a turkey in France?

PurpleWithRed Mon 20-Nov-17 23:22:54

Don’t see why not, but are you sure a turkey for 20 will fit in the oven there?

nightshade Mon 20-Nov-17 23:31:39

In a freezer bag it will be fine...in the cold boot..

I used to defrost mine in the porch in a sealed freezer bag overnight...it was still icy the next day...

Justmuddlingalong Mon 20-Nov-17 23:33:48

I would let your DH worry about the turkey logistics. After all, I presume since he did the inviting, he'll be doing the cooking.

DonkeyOil Mon 20-Nov-17 23:34:58

What's wrong with getting a turkey in France?

I don't want a French turkey because they're not the same.

Phosphorus Mon 20-Nov-17 23:37:41

I definitely think you should take your own turkey, it sounds a delightfully eccentric thing to do. fgrin

What is different about French turkeys though?

HermionesRightHook Mon 20-Nov-17 23:40:13

I'm not really seeing why you're worrying about this - if my DH invited 20 people over without asking he'd be doing the cooking!

But to answer your actual question - I don't see why not from a H&S point of view, but what would happen if you had a breakdown, or customs wanted to see your turkey to check it wasn't carefully moulded semtex or something?

Sheitgeist Tue 21-Nov-17 00:39:08

He invited 20+ people to someone else's house? confused

OlennasWimple Tue 21-Nov-17 00:44:26

Yeah, it'll probably still be frozen by the time you get there. Best check that the oven is big enough for it in advance, though

Ttbb Tue 21-Nov-17 00:45:03

Would you be able to take it on the train? I mean, they won't be suspicious that you've stuffed it with explosives or anything will they?

oldlaundbooth Tue 21-Nov-17 00:47:30

The train from London to France?

Personally I don't see why not but security might be hmm

Sounds like a great Noël grin

squishysquirmy Tue 21-Nov-17 00:49:59

Are the friends who very kindly lent you their house aware that you will be hosting a meal for 20 people in their house? Would they have anticipated that when they agreed to let you stay there?
Do they even know the guests who will be eating Christmas lunch in their house, or are they strangers?
Why is your dh not the one worrying about turkey logistics?

ThroughThickAndThin01 Tue 21-Nov-17 00:52:18

As pp have said, do the kind friends know you'll be hosting so many people in their house?

Ceto Tue 21-Nov-17 00:53:33

We stayed on a gite on a French farm two or three years ago. The turkeys there looked identical to English turkeys.

WatchTheFoxes Tue 21-Nov-17 00:59:37

It is really rude to host such a large group in another person's house. 40 feet on carpets and floors, so many opportunities for accidents, breakages etc. You are taking the mickey and abusing your friend's kindness abominably.

BastardGoDarkly Tue 21-Nov-17 01:06:53

One turkey won't do 20 people op, even if you are an MNer wink

DPotter Tue 21-Nov-17 01:07:45

Are you even allowed to import uncooked meat into France?

I think the madness lies in you even thinking of agreeing to host 20+ people for Christmas lunch, cooking in someone else's kitchen. Drinks perhaps, full blown meal no way. Simple logistics - is the oven big enough, are there 20+ plates, bowls, cutlery, glasses, chairs? We certainly couldn't host 20+ people to a full sit down meal.

Think you need to talk some sense into that DH of yours.

DPotter Tue 21-Nov-17 01:09:22

Sorry - didn't answer your questions on the scale of 1 to 10 of daft ideas, this comes in at the Spinal Tap level of 11

iogo Tue 21-Nov-17 01:15:53

Are the friends who very kindly lent you their house aware that you will be hosting a meal for 20 people in their house? Would they have anticipated that when they agreed to let you stay there?

That was my first thought too.

Second thought was the turkey will be fine. Third thought was surely a turkey is a turkey is a turkey?

DJBaggySmalls Tue 21-Nov-17 01:15:56

Run it past your kind friend first.

Rainbowandraindrops67 Tue 21-Nov-17 01:19:15

Don’t be silly turkeys are the same in France!
It is v rude to invite so people to your friends house

Nyx1 Tue 21-Nov-17 01:30:42

What's different about French turkeys? (Not a sentence I ever expected to type). grin

Insomnibrat Tue 21-Nov-17 01:45:38

Surely you can't just lug a flaccid, decomposing bird into another country as extra baggage?

Buy a French one! or three

oldlaundbooth Tue 21-Nov-17 01:50:31

Think op has shelved the idea

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now