Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Should I support a market for rose veal?

(18 Posts)
MaidOfStars Mon 20-Nov-17 22:00:44

Info: I am veggie, but eat dairy. Husband is omnivorous. I have no ethical issues with eating animals/fluffy/etc; I’m vegetarian from a more environmental perspective/global poverty/western gluttony (new iPhone update replaces two hyphens with a single long hyphen so can’t strikethrough...). I buy/prepare/cook fresh meat for my husband, always free range/organic/local/cuddled.

Anyway, I have noticed rose veal on sale in my local butcher. It seems this meat comes from male calves from dairy cows, which seems like an efficient use of traditionally unwanted offspring. But they are raised ‘in barns’, which can be rather loosely interpreted.

I feel like showing there is a consumer market for rose veal might slightly mitigate the horror of the dairy industry? But uncomfortable with the rearing process? Anyone got any insight?

<sits back and waits for the posters who ignore the question and rant about dairy>

wowfudge Mon 20-Nov-17 22:09:09

I though rose veal was the beef equivalent of lamb - calves not in crates and not restricted to a milk diet.

ScreamingValenta Mon 20-Nov-17 22:14:35

I watched a documentary about this a while ago, but can't find it online - I did come across this Guardian piece if it's any use:

www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2007/sep/05/foodanddrink.allegramcevedy

The documentary concluded it was a Good Thing, but I'm not vegetarian so not really a judge.

AngeloMysterioso Mon 20-Nov-17 22:17:25

This has nothing to do with the OP at all, but if you’re using a mobile just tap on the italic I below the typing box and then on delete and it’ll do the strike through dashes for you. HTH

BuzzKillington Mon 20-Nov-17 22:20:41

I support high-welfare veal.

The calves that would have been destroyed at birth or transported to a country that sells white veal are given a chance of life - a short life, but longer than that of a chicken or a lamb.

Plus they are not fed a restricted, low-iron diet that is needed to produce the white veal meat - they can have a more natural straw based diet.

As a meat eater, I do not have an issue with rose veal.

Scrowy Mon 20-Nov-17 22:25:02

Yes please do if you find it is available.

Any calves I've seen being raised for rose veal genuinely do have plenty of space to move around on clean straw.

It briefly came into fashion a few years ago but seems to be disappearing again because:

a) people just weren't buying it

b) dairy farmers are increasingly using sexed semen meaning that the vast majority of dairy calves in many herds are being born female any way

c) beef prices have stabilised somewhat so many dairy farmers are putting a beef bull over dairy cows and selling the resulting calves male or female through the normal beef market.

FiveGoMadInDorset Mon 20-Nov-17 22:27:29

Barns are barns, big and airy, they used to be in a barn at the back of our house. I think all farms producing veal is done under RSPCA guidance, I know the one near us was, but happy to be corrected.

suesuedonnahue Mon 20-Nov-17 22:35:08

All of us at home adore veal, and I would much rather buy rose veal. In fact, I don’t buy anything else.

But it’s sooooo hard to find 😬

I wish it were more available....

Stinkbomb Mon 20-Nov-17 22:38:03

Rose veal is definitely worth supporting & buying. They sell it in my local Sainsbury’s and M&S. very tasty and lean too.

CallMeDollFace Mon 20-Nov-17 22:39:19

I’ll just throw in that it is perfectly possibly to run a profitable dairy farm with high-welfare, outdoor-reared, grass-fed cows where the male offspring are also sold profitably for full beef rearing. It’s not always easy, but it is possible.

MaidOfStars Tue 21-Nov-17 06:09:16

Thanks all, these replies are helpful.

yorkshireyummymummy Tue 21-Nov-17 06:25:56

I love it and wish it was more easily availiable.
I shudder with horror at the shameful killing of male calves from dairy herds. What sort of world do we live in where it's become acceptable for farmers to do this? Shame on these farmers frankly.
It should be ( IMO) illegal to slaughter these calves just because they are the wrong sex and the farmers don't want them. Profit before animal welfare much??l
If more people bought rose veal it might bring to an end this barbaric practice when the farmers realise they can sell the male calves.
So yes!! Yes yes yes to Rose veal. It's a lovely meat and we need to produce more of it - and from research I have done on it , the beasts seem to have a fair life. Better than the other possibility anyway.
I'm trying to cut down the meat we as a family eat. I'm keen on eating more veggie meals but since I cook from scratch I don't know where to start so I love small veal escalopes made into schnitzel!

Veterinari Tue 21-Nov-17 06:30:56

*I shudder with horror at the shameful killing of male calves from dairy herds. What sort of world do we live in where it's become acceptable for farmers to do this? Shame on these farmers frankly.
It should be ( IMO) illegal to slaughter these calves just because they are the wrong sex and the farmers don't want them. Profit before animal welfare much??l*

I find this viewpoint interesting. Why is it ‘worse’ animal welfare to be quickly killed as a calf on farm than to be separated from your mum, raised, transported and slaughtered for meat at a later date?

I can understand that you’re more comfortable with justifying the latter as the meat is used, but from an animal welfare point of view the experience is actually likely to be worse for the calf.

CallMeDollFace Tue 21-Nov-17 15:13:08

*What sort of world do we live in where it's become acceptable for farmers to do this? Shame on these farmers frankly.
It should be ( IMO) illegal to slaughter these calves just because they are the wrong sex and the farmers don't want them*

Here we go 🙄 So much misinformation being passed on here.

- male calves from dairy herds can be sold and reared for beef. Many are.

- in certain dairy breeds (Holsteins for example) the male calves have very little value for beef and may be slaughtered younger. Not because they ‘unwanted’ but because they have no market value. They may be suitable for rose veal, in which case a strong market demand for this would increase their value and therefore they could be reared.

- there is very little to no profit in dairy farming for huge numbers of farmers. This means animals with no market value can’t be reared anyway. If you don’t like this, you need to accept (and persuade supermarkets) that the cost of all dairy products will rocket, with the difference being paid to the farmer.

yorkshireyummymummy Fri 24-Nov-17 01:19:41

Dear Doll face.
But it's not misinformation is it?
Because it DOES happen. I haven't just made this up.
So don't give me an eye roll when I state my disgust at something which does happen on farms. Not all farms. Some farms.

MaidOfStars Sat 25-Nov-17 14:21:53

Husband will be having his first ever rose veal steak for dinner tonight!

CallMeDollFace Sat 25-Nov-17 17:44:21

Dear yorkshireyummymummy,

I took exception to your use of language.

Inviting shame upon farmers who cannot afford to rear an animal which has no market value because they are not being paid anything like enough for their primary product (milk). You carry on buying 4 pints of milk for £1 and then cry shame upon the dairy farmer who has to cull the valueless male calf because it will cost more to rear than he can sell it for.

You paint a picture of heartless bastards happily killing animals just for being the wrong sex because they can’t be arsed with them. This simply is not true.

I made a few valid, informative points about different practices and breeds.

Go visit a dairy farm. Find out for yourself. In the meantime I will eyeroll if I want to.

Blackandpurple Sat 25-Nov-17 17:49:22

Farming is a business. Animals are bred for the food chain. End of.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now