Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Help me find the perfect gift for a brand new Scandi/Asian/Scottish baby

(27 Posts)
blueskyinmarch Mon 20-Nov-17 17:17:37

I am now proud great aunt to a little baby girl. I want to buy a gift for the baby that is perfect and in some way reflects her heritage (Finnish, Chinese, Scottish). So what to buy? I think they will love soft scandi brights. Nothing fussy. They live in the north of England so something cosy.

I have no idea about baby stuff as my 'baby' is almost 20 now! Where do i start looking?

Frith1975 Mon 20-Nov-17 17:33:42

I’m not sure you need special warm stuff to survive in the north of England!!

blueskyinmarch Mon 20-Nov-17 17:41:24

Well I guess it would need to be more cosy than if they were living in Australia! I live in Scotland and it has been pretty cold here.

I honesty don’t have a clue what they might like and was trying to give enough info about who/where they are.

TrollTheRespawnJeremy Mon 20-Nov-17 18:05:01

Well, which end of the heritage are you- get her something that reflects your side of the family?

If it's the Scottish end I'd go for something from the Gillian Kyle babies range. A wee teacake bib makes me smile. Or I'd get them a luckenbooth for their shawl.

blueskyinmarch Mon 20-Nov-17 18:13:41

Yes something Scottish would probably be good. I would like to send clothes. Any good suggestions?

TheSpottedZebra Mon 20-Nov-17 18:21:20

Huh, I'd never heard of a luckenbooth and I am Scottish.is it maybe something favoured by the diaspora?

A lovely Scottish blanket?

TrollTheRespawnJeremy Mon 20-Nov-17 18:29:49

More common towards Edinburgh. It's similar to a claddagh. (But prettier!) You see them in antique shops from time to time.

I'm having issues thinking of brands designed and made in Scotland

Scandi influence clothes made near loch lomond www.zoom-baby.co.uk/about

There's Edinburgh Woolen Mill- but I have no idea where it's made these days. Maybe someone will be more knowledgeable

And as I said upthread, there's Gillian Kyle's range which is cute and fairly lighthearted. I particularly like the onesies with a Scottish plain loaf on them. Love a wee loaf!

thornyhousewife Mon 20-Nov-17 18:32:51

I got a nursery art print as a newborn gift from here: www.bornluckyworld.com

It was a lovely Moon written in Danish. They also have Chinese themed prints.

blueskyinmarch Mon 20-Nov-17 18:36:15

Thank you. The Zoom baby clothes look perfect. I also love the born lucky prints but i know nothing about their home/nursery set up. I may stick to clothes.

Crabbo Mon 20-Nov-17 18:37:06

I’d go for something Scottish as you’re from the Scottish side of her family so it’s more personal? Don’t do the Chinese bit if they have Chinese family as they will get loads of that already (we practically filled the suitcase with gifts we were given the first time we took our daughter to China). If you wanted to do scandi brights though nice companies are Duns, Maxomorra, Smäfolk.

TheSpottedZebra Mon 20-Nov-17 18:38:25

I learn something everyday on here, Jeremy!

Yy to Gillian Kyle.

What about some Scottish baby books? here are some ideas. I've got The Gruffalo in Scots, which may or may not be suitable depending on how recently they experienced Scottish education...

Crabbo Mon 20-Nov-17 18:39:26

Also polarn have a really cute scandi folk print in at the moment but I’m not sure how small the romper goes - I got my dd the pjs...

TheSpottedZebra Mon 20-Nov-17 18:39:56

And obviously a cuddly coo. I think Jellycat do or did one.

blueskyinmarch Mon 20-Nov-17 18:40:13

Oh goodness the Gruffalo is Scots would be PERFECT seeing as they are both linguists!

shakeyourcaboose Mon 20-Nov-17 18:43:47

You can get Gruffalo in Scots and Doric so you may also get it un proper 'Embra' too! You'll have had your tea?...... 🙂

TheSpottedZebra Mon 20-Nov-17 18:45:06

REALLY? grin

You can also get the Gruffalo in Glaswegian, and the Gruffalo's Wean AND Gruffalo's Bairn (Doric version) so they new one could have fun with dialects?

blueskyinmarch Mon 20-Nov-17 18:45:29

Where can i source the Gruffalo in Scots? It would be ace in 'Embra". My DN did her undergrad degree there!

TheSpottedZebra Mon 20-Nov-17 18:45:33

Ha, cross post.

TheSpottedZebra Mon 20-Nov-17 18:46:38

Have gone to Amazon. Have found 'The Sleekit Mr Tod'

blueskyinmarch Mon 20-Nov-17 18:48:44

I knew you guys would find something perfect. I am going to put together a pack of Scottish based baby stuff. They will love that.

shakeyourcaboose Mon 20-Nov-17 18:54:52

Hoots! I love them, and DC seems to too, with regards to the hilarity when we read aboot the moose. Have you think thought about any poetry such as Sandy Thomas Ross' Bairns Sangs?

thornyhousewife Mon 20-Nov-17 18:59:09

How did I not know there was a Scots Gruffalo! Wonderful.

blueskyinmarch Mon 20-Nov-17 19:00:33

I have a lovely local bookshop. I may go on and see what they have. We live in a Scottish tourist spot so they may stock good Scottish children’s books. I am loving this idea.I think they will be a family who relish books.

shakeyourcaboose Mon 20-Nov-17 19:17:44

www.dcthomsonshop.co.uk/. how about a wee look here? Thomson did the broons, oor willie and the dandy i think!

shakeyourcaboose Mon 20-Nov-17 19:18:34

Am rolling with the 'wee' s already.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now