Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Christmas on my tod with my toddler

(53 Posts)
thenewstateswoman Mon 20-Nov-17 14:08:49

This year I’m going to be with my 3 year old for xmas and new year and no one else around/ I’m getting divorced and ex husband is being bloody difficult so I should be pleased he’s buggering off for the festive period. I have no family other than sister who lives overseas and I’m beginning to dread the day. I’ve booked up lots of stuff to do with her but xmas day and Boxing Day feels like long days to fill and I’m starting to feel a bit despondent about it just being the two of us. What Can I do to make it special and keep the fun going... we obviously will have pressies and nice food and will take the dog out for a couple of walks... any ideas gratefully received.

Motherwell91 Mon 20-Nov-17 14:15:00

Didn't want to read and run. I'm sure you will have a lovely Christmas with your 3 year old whatever you do ! flowers

Maryann1975 Mon 20-Nov-17 14:23:14

I understand why you are dreading it, but honestly, I think you will have a lovely day. There’s bound to be a few things on tv that she will enjoy around tea time and she will have her new toys to play with. You could go for an afternoon walk around where you live to look at the Christmas lights on the houses. Come back and have hot chocolate and open the Christmas chocolates.
Do you have any single mum friends who are going to be in a similar position on either of the days? You could invite her round for a coffe on Boxing Day so you are not on your own. Or a friend who has a partner who will be working might be glad of company (this was me when dh was in the raf-I spent many weekends and bank holidays alone as he was working and would have loved to spend time with another adult).

BunloafAndCrumpets Mon 20-Nov-17 14:23:17

Ahhh I had Christmas with my mum as a toddler, I remember it well and was v happy. I’d plan a couple of new things per day to structure day around. Eg:

Opening stocking
Special breakfast
Church service if applicable
Special lunch
Xmas film
Pj’s and hot chocolate
Nice walk and a drink together at the pub
Playing with new presents
Special bedtime story
Etc

I hope you have a lovely time. Xxx

confusedofengland Mon 20-Nov-17 14:23:46

Maybe some Christmas crafts? Simple board games? Snuggle down & watch Christmas movies with popcorn/chocolate etc? Could she 'help' you make a small Christmas dinner in some way eg wrap bacon round cocktail sausages etc? Also just lots of playing with new toys.

thenewstateswoman Mon 20-Nov-17 15:18:30

Thanks to all - I’m going to find some stuff to do- she loves crafting stuff so I’m sure we can find something fun. I might suggest a Christmas Day/Boxing Day play date in the park to a few people and see if they are up for that too... fresh air- nice food- snuggly blankets

thenewstateswoman Mon 20-Nov-17 15:19:35

Special hot choc- should be enough to keep us going... she is obsessed with sausages so if I get her to make the pigs in blankets it could be fun...

BabyOrSanta Mon 20-Nov-17 15:23:29

Plus, it's Christmas.
Just slob about, make sure Father Christmas brings you both stuff that you would love, maybe bend the rules a little on some stuff (if bath time's being enjoyed, who cares if it lasts past bedtime as long as no one gets cold etc).
I hope you have a fab Christmas smile

BrokenStones1 Mon 20-Nov-17 15:26:33

Hi

I also will be spending Christmas alone but with my three small children aged 4,2 & 5 months.

My husband is a Paramedic and is working Christmas & Boxing Day, he leaves for work at 6.30am and finishes at 19.30 at the earliest but I'm fully expecting him to be late back. I also have no family.

Will be looking for ideas.

Where in the country are you?

thenewstateswoman Mon 20-Nov-17 15:56:10

I’m in south east London

gerbo Mon 20-Nov-17 16:14:11

Personally with a toddler I'd plan to go out of the house for either morning or pm, even if for just an hour, each day, to blow the cobwebs away.

Park, woods, cafe for a juice, walk anywhere frankly! Check if any free museums open locally, galleries, etc.

Would break up each day and allow total relaxation/chillout for rest of the day. I find myself and my dc get on each other's nerves if inside all day.

Lots of crafts, Lego, etc too.

Maybe listing stuff to do now will help you feel more optimistic?

Could you book a cheap local panto too?

Wishing you all the best!!

building2017 Mon 20-Nov-17 16:18:20

We are having Christmas at home and promised to spend the day in Pj's. I have also bought a MASSIVE marble run which will keep us occupied for ages, I suspect. Not too pricey - about £22 on Amazon for a 200 + piece set.

I would recommend church as well - the CofE 10:30 services are usually fairly family friendly on Christmas Day, take a special present to talk about, look at the big tree, etc.

stoplickingthetelly Mon 20-Nov-17 16:21:50

We are going to a panto on boxing day afternoon. Just a smallish local one, not a big city. Could you maybe do something like this?

trilbydoll Mon 20-Nov-17 16:22:50

I'd go to church despite not being particularly religious to get out and break the day up, especially if you can find a service aimed at kids.

Someone I know uses to manage a winter sports place and they opened for free Xmas day.

teaortequila23 Mon 20-Nov-17 16:23:28

You guys could put on pjs on Boxing Day and get popcorn and watch all the movies they are going to show I know my 3yr old girl would LOVE that

thenewstateswoman Mon 20-Nov-17 17:32:09

I’ve booked panto for 31st December (!) New Year’s Day I need to find something to do too..,

I might bundle us up for Boxing Day and go for an adventure up to London and take a wander around. Im not sure I’d inflict a toddler on the local pub but we could definitely have an outdoor toy from Santa so we need to go out and play on the local Common... Thanks everyone... keep these ideas coming!

thenewstateswoman Mon 20-Nov-17 17:34:41

We might make some special Christmas chocs ... Santa might bring us both some coloured bath foam

hidinginthenightgarden Mon 20-Nov-17 17:42:35

Could you go to the pub for xmas dinner instead of cooking?
It would really break up the day. Maybe santa could bring an activity book that would keep occupied whilst you have a nice drink and enjoy the change of scenery?

Cottonwoolbawl Mon 20-Nov-17 17:45:04

A lot of boxing day fun runs around here.. Maybe do one of those and for charity too

Cottonwoolbawl Mon 20-Nov-17 17:45:33

Family friendly (with buggy if needed)

thenewstateswoman Mon 20-Nov-17 17:53:03

My local pub is over £75 for lunch and it would not be relaxing with my kid who loves to run around!!! We might pop in for a drink with the dog - get her on the scooter and go for an adventure

AdoraBell Mon 20-Nov-17 17:54:46

I was going to suggest board games/ toys plus a walk if weather permits.

Good idea to try and meet up/invite any friends who might be in need of company.

I’ve always made Christmas child centric, so their choice for brekkies, opening stockings and scoffing chocolate in pyjamas with a film on. That takes up much of the morning. Also, no need to cook a huge meal, get something like a turkey crown to cut down on time spent in the kitchen, or do something different.

LexieLulu Mon 20-Nov-17 17:59:22

Make it an amazing day, plan lots!

Xmas eve, get the Xmas eve boxes, make mince pies for Santa (toddlers and baking is hardwork but they love it). Christmas film and matching PJ's.

Xmas morning, open stocking only first (too many presents is over whelming for 3 year olds), have breakfast then go for a dog walk. Come back open some presents then start on lunch. Have your DD help as much as possible.

Boxing Day, maybe make cards to say thank you to anyone who have given gifts? Just messy craft stuff with your DD.

Make sure you've bought a present for yourself! You deserve one!! Xx

FluffyNinja Mon 20-Nov-17 18:04:27

Do you go to any toddler groups as the parents there might know what's on locally?
I remember both DH and I having flu when DS was 3. I had to cancel our guests visiting and I spent the xmas period on the sofa watching DS play with his toys whilst DH got to lie in bed. I 'cooked' tinned spaghetti on toast for DS Xmas dinner as I couldn't manage anything else. It was pretty awful as we had no family that can help us out so I just had to keep going. Luckily(!), I was ill first so I was much better by New Year and could take DS out a bit.
I'm sure anything you do will be much better than I managed and to add that my DS has no memory of it, so don't feel too worried if it seems a bit boring. One crappy Christmas is allowed.

dingdongdigeridoo Mon 20-Nov-17 18:13:08

Aww I think it’ll be lovely. Your DD is the kind of age where they get their first memories, so she might remember Christmas with her mum.

I think going out Boxing Day is a good idea. As much as I hate it, the shops are open. Maybe go for a festive hot choc somewhere? Anywhere local doing ice skating etc?

Any big events near you? When I stay with SIL we spend Boxing Day morning watching people jump in the sea. It’s great!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now