Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

What time does your Year 8 child go to bed?

(26 Posts)
TwigTheWonderKid Mon 20-Nov-17 09:37:47

We're struggling with DS getting enough sleep. I'd be interested to know:

What does your YR8 child do in the 30 mins or so before they go to bed?
What time do they go upstairs and what time do they actually go to sleep?
What time do they get up?
What time do they leave the house for school?

DayKay Mon 20-Nov-17 09:40:46

Mine starts getting ready for bed at 8.
That gives him enough time to shower and read. He usually switches his lights off around 9 and has to be up at 6.30.

Daykay Mon 20-Nov-17 09:41:17

Oh and leaves for school at 7.30

misscph1973 Mon 20-Nov-17 09:43:08

DD Y8 lights out at 8.30pm. I think she is asleep by 9-9.30pm. Wake up at 7am, I drive her to school at 8am (no school bus as not catchment school).

She read before bed 30 min before bed. No electronics after dinner. Sometimes she plays with her younger brother after dinner, but always read 30 min before bed.

NewtsSuitcase Mon 20-Nov-17 09:43:31

DS1 is year 8. He generally goes up at about 8pm but doesn't get into bed until about 8.30. Until then he is likely to be finishing homework. He then reads for half an hour with lights out at 9pm. He's often still awake an hour later.

Up at 6.30 leave for school at 7.30.

carrie74 Mon 20-Nov-17 09:45:20

My Y8 child is a bit of a night owl unfortunately.

Our general guidelines are no more gaming / iPhone etc after 7pm (TV still ok). Ready for bed at 8:30, but she will often still be reading when I go to bed around 10-10:30. Physical exercise definitely helps.

In the week she needs to be up at 6:30-6:45, but we struggle to get her up and dressed before 7, TBH. Latest we leave the house is 7:45, but 2 days a week it’s 7:30 or 7:20.

dementedpixie Mon 20-Nov-17 09:46:37

What age is that? (We don't have year 8 in Scotland). Ds is 11

What does your YR8 child do in the 30 mins or so before they go to bed?
Ds gets ready for bed then reads in bed for about 30 mins. Prior to that will be playing ps4

What time do they go upstairs and what time do they actually go to sleep?
9.30pm bedtime so not asleep until closer to 10pm

What time do they get up?
7am with alarm clock

What time do they leave the house for school?
8.40ish

RainbowPastel Mon 20-Nov-17 09:55:06

What does your YR8 child do in the 30 mins or so before they go to bed? Shower
What time do they go upstairs and what time do they actually go to sleep? Upstairs for 9 asleep about 10.30/11
What time do they get up? 7.15
What time do they leave the house for school? 8.10

They don't need much sleep they never have even when very young.

HolyShet Mon 20-Nov-17 09:57:36

About 10.30 and consequently getting up at 7.20 is torture.

Going to show him this thread.

What time do you lot confiscate technology?

NewtsSuitcase Mon 20-Nov-17 10:09:00

Technology here is only mobile phone which has to stay downstairs and so is handed in at 8pm. He might occasionally still be using the laptop for homework until 9pm if he has masses to do but the laptop also has to stay downstairs.

I'm mean so we don't allow PS4/gaming during the week. Sometimes a little bit of tele in the evenings but to be honest there isn't generally the time. DS gets a lot of homework and doesn't get in from school until 5.10

demented year 8 is send year of senior school so age 12-13

DayKay Mon 20-Nov-17 10:30:19

No games in the week here too.
Phone has to be placed on the bookshelf as soon as he gets in.
Tv and phone message checking is ok as long as all homework is done and bags are ready.

strugglingtodomybest Mon 20-Nov-17 10:37:38

Starts getting ready for bed at 8.30pm, in bed by 9pm. Turns his own light off when he's ready. Up at 6am on school days to leave by 8am. He doesn't have to get up at 6, that's his choice.

SarahBeeney Mon 20-Nov-17 10:39:57

DD is 9. Her lights go out at 8:30pm. The hour before she is pottering in her room,playing/reading/writing as her brother goes to bed at 7:30pm (he’s 7 and needs lots of sleep).
Both up at 7 although I had to wake them at 7:45am this morning.....never happens on a Sunday angry

TwigTheWonderKid Mon 20-Nov-17 17:44:30

Well we don't seem to be doing anything vastly different to most of you here. I think the problem is that now he is hitting puberty his natural body clock is starting to change and he is not feeling sleepy so early but now he is at high school and starting earlier as well as having a longer journey his body just doesn't want to wake up at 6.45am (and frankly nor does mine but that's another story).

I suspect screen and tech are not helping. When he is not doing homework he is constantly glued to his phone, the PS4 or YouTube. This has been bothering me for a while and something we need to address as they have become his default activities.

So my next question to those of you whose boys are not allowed to play computer games during the week (and I am very impressed by your phone on the shelf system DayKay) how do they occupy themselves, apart from homework?

yomellamoHelly Mon 20-Nov-17 17:49:43

He's kicked off all tech at 8pm and was sent up at 8:15. (A year later is now around 9.) Then reads in bed until 10pm ish. Has always gone to sleep at around 10 though regardless of age. With puberty he's really struggling to get out of bed. Natural get-up time is 8:30 - 9 am.

yomellamoHelly Mon 20-Nov-17 17:52:33

Books are the only thing ds does apart from youtube and games. We keep kicking him out for walks and he'll go into town and mooch around Game and buy himself a hot chocolate every now and then. Trying to get him into proper exercise (running, swimming, gym), but he's resisting!

simpson Mon 20-Nov-17 17:58:07

In PJs etc from 7.30 then makes himself a snack and potters till 8.45 ish. Lights off and in bed no later than 9.15. He can stay on Xbox till 8.30 at the latest but doesn’t always.

He leaves the house at 7.30 each morning. He is in yr8 btw.

losenotloose Mon 20-Nov-17 18:20:14

11 year old ds goes up at 9, lights out 9.30. Probably asleep by 10. Has to be up by 7.

We were having massive problems with tech, wanting to play more and more, tech being the only thing he'd do whether it was xbox or phone. I lost it one day and unplugged the xbox and took away his phone. 3 days of withdrawal but now been without for a month and the transformation is massive.

DayKay Mon 20-Nov-17 18:44:05

Our routine and rules came about from experience! It’s so easy to get addicted to phones (I should know!) that I thought minimum time allowed was the best step.
I worked with my ds with the tech rules rather than just dictating them to him so he understands the reasons and agrees. He may not always like it, but he knows why.
He gets home at 4.15 and twice a week he does an activity. He does homework and we have dinner around 6ish.
After dinner, he just spends time chatting, pottering and watching tv etc. On Fridays, he has some friends over and they play games.
I’m sure things will change when he’s a teen but I’m hoping the tech rules for school nights will be a habit. Maybe wishful thinking.

NewtsSuitcase Mon 20-Nov-17 21:35:01

DS1 has school sports training and school riding until 6.30 two nights a week which means that after eating and homework there is no time left. He does another sport one night a week which results in the same lack of time. He has a music lesson another night.

So there is only one evening when he has 'free' time and in that time he's generally catching up with homework (because of the activities on the other nights).

He gets a lot of homework though. A couple of hours a night every night.

ToffeeUp Mon 20-Nov-17 21:44:40

DD y8 goes upstairs at 9.30, in bed by 10. No idea what she does but phone and tablet are downstairs.

Gets up around 7.30 and leaves for school at 8.15

After school it is homework, after school club, friends house or tablet/phone/tv and Guides one night a week.

endofacentury Mon 20-Nov-17 21:47:08

My year 8 child hands devices to me at 8pm, then its pack bag for school, get uniform ready, quick shower, into bed and lights out at 9

endofacentury Mon 20-Nov-17 21:47:30

And she’s up at 6:30 I should have said

WhatHaveIFound Mon 20-Nov-17 21:50:41

My Y8 DS is one who has never needed much sleep. So bedtime is 9.30-10pm and he's up for school at 6.30am (sets off at 7.30am). Occasionally if he's had a heavy sport day he'll be in bed for 9pm.

The 30 minutes before getting into bed are spent messing about on his phone or (in tonight's case) reading.

heymammy Mon 20-Nov-17 21:53:20

Dd2, 11yrs, comes off tablet/pc at 8.30 then chats with me while we watch TV for half an hour then upstairs at 9ish. She usually falls asleep quite quickly. She is supposed to get up at half 7 but draaaags her butt out of bed closer to 8 and leaves the house at 8.30 (then wonders why I'm stroppy with her!)

Dd1, 14yrs, is on her phone until she goes to bed at around 10 then I take her phone away. She takes ages to fall asleep (always has done) but was brilliant at getting up & showered in the morning until the last couple of weeks when she's been shattered in the mornings. Hormones I'm guessing. She leaves the house at 8.13 precisely confused.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now