Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

A fucking rat just ran out of my sitting room

(104 Posts)
JamesDelayneysTattoos Mon 20-Nov-17 09:28:31

HE disappeared under the integrated dishwasher!

Do I burn down the house? Pest control are on their way. I’m staying on the sofa.

WhoWants2Know Mon 20-Nov-17 09:29:29

Yes. You have to burn down the house.

myusernamewastaken Mon 20-Nov-17 09:40:03

How cute...he just wants to warm up in your house....you need to give him a name and a bit of cheese wink

TillyVonMilly Mon 20-Nov-17 09:41:11

😱 petrol and a match, your only solution shock

Brahumbug Mon 20-Nov-17 09:41:31

You need to nuke the site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure. grin

TillyVonMilly Mon 20-Nov-17 09:43:15

How did it get in? Did it bring friends? shock

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Mon 20-Nov-17 09:45:02

There’s never just one rat.

<shudder>

TrojansAreSmegheads Mon 20-Nov-17 09:46:08

oh dear. not good.

do you have a cat?

if so , fingers crossed it kidnapped the rat from its home half a mile away!

VeganIan Mon 20-Nov-17 09:46:37

At least it's alive. When it's dead it will be smelly and full of maggots and still in your house. Somewhere.

JamesDelayneysTattoos Mon 20-Nov-17 09:47:35

I posted last week about something in the see. seemS hes found stairs.

I have an autistic Dd who has severe animal phobia. She would freak if she had seen it.

We live in the middle of a field, detached house, no neighbours, derelict barn across our drive. Fuck.

JamesDelayneysTattoos Mon 20-Nov-17 09:48:32

something in the roof last week

DressedCrab Mon 20-Nov-17 09:48:43

Where do you Live? <worries>

nowshesaturtle Mon 20-Nov-17 09:50:30

You need to block up any holes you can find, even tiny ones. The little bastards have soft bones and can get into teeny weeny spaces.

Round here we all have a similar problem with field mice. They can get into spaces about the size of a pencil shock.

Industrial quantities of expanding foam are likely to be your friend.

Sympathies flowers. I think there's been a huge growth in mice and rat incursions into domestic places recently (at least we're getting more and hearing of more around here). I blame food waste bins. Even if they can't get into them, they sure can smell 'em

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Mon 20-Nov-17 09:51:42

Pest control will kill them and then you’ll need the body team to go and clean up.

You’re being very stoic considering!

JamesDelayneysTattoos Mon 20-Nov-17 09:52:43

I’ve got pest control coming out before 1pm so hopefully they’ll find an entry point.

Ugh, I hate rodents. I can’t get a cat. 😞

JamesDelayneysTattoos Mon 20-Nov-17 09:53:35

movingonup I’m not really. IM terrified of moving from the sofa

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Mon 20-Nov-17 09:54:49

flowers

Weepingwillows12 Mon 20-Nov-17 09:56:02

Oh I hate rats. Completely terrified of them. I couldn't cope if that happened to me. I would be out of there running down the street.

Strangely I was thinking yesterday about how you get in to pest control and whether actually they like rodents (interested in them so drawn to a career with them) and aren't afraid of them or whether they hate them and want to exterminate them all or whether they just drift in to the career somehow. My life is fun I know

Quiddichcup Mon 20-Nov-17 09:57:24

There is never just one.
Have you noticed droppings? It will have been weeing all over the place too.

Hope the pest control come soon.

Callamia Mon 20-Nov-17 09:57:32

Expanding foam -yes.
We had a mouse issue two years ago, and my husband went crazy with the foam. I’m now amazed we don’t just suffocate in our air hole free home, but the reduction in mice was well worth it.

Woollycardi Mon 20-Nov-17 09:58:23

'Did it bring friends?' grin grin

JamesDelayneysTattoos Mon 20-Nov-17 10:00:07

quiddichup no droppings, I was looking under the cupboard yesterday with a torch for a school tie (as you do) and there’s no evidence that I can see. They’re I incontinent aren’t they? Ugh, now I need to sterilise the house. 😫

gamerchick Mon 20-Nov-17 10:00:54

It’ll probably be the barn that’s the culprit. I don’t know the answer as poison just poisons the things that eats the rats, like the owl population. It’s a pity you couldn’t get cats.

WhoWants2Know Mon 20-Nov-17 10:01:01

It wouldn’t hurt to get some bait boxes around your garden and the derelict barn. Otherwise future generations can smell the trails of your current visitor and will try to get in too.

JamesDelayneysTattoos Mon 20-Nov-17 10:02:36

OH God whowants2know really?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now