Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

So is it possible to be physically sick due to over-excitement?

(25 Posts)
Theromanempire Sun 19-Nov-17 23:01:22

I have realised this weekend that DS2 has been physically sick at least 4 times (out of 9) on or around his birthday. He is not a sicky child at all so it is out of the ordinary for him (probably count on one hand other times he has been sick).

DH thinks it is a coincidence but I'm not sure hmm

Next year, I'm going to tie the sick jug around his neck for a few days before bearing in mind it took me and DH an hour to clean up after last night's episode grin

DonkeyOaty Sun 19-Nov-17 23:03:39

Gad YES. One of mine was. We learned to dial down excitement. They grew out of it by Secondary age fgs.

BackforGood Sun 19-Nov-17 23:05:22

Yes, dh used to be. He was big into acting / singing / performing at school and the like, and he was always sick with the adrenalin / excitement in the lead up.

CheekyFuckersAreEntertaining Sun 19-Nov-17 23:07:33

DD2 threw up playing with her grandad. I still say to this day that it was the excitement of seeing him.

TheOriginalNNB Sun 19-Nov-17 23:08:11

I used to as a kid

SparklingSnowfall Sun 19-Nov-17 23:11:04

Oh yes, very much so, I used to be like this as a kid and DS is now. Even now I can feel quite ill with excitement/anticipation of a big event blush

notacooldad Sun 19-Nov-17 23:12:33

Ha Yes!!
My sister is 46 and is still like this. Most of the time she is a professional mother and a sensible wife but when it comes to Christmas, her birthday or her holiday she gets super excited and can be sick! We obviously rip her to bits and she takes it in good humour but we did thing she would have grown out of it 40 years ago!

Theromanempire Sun 19-Nov-17 23:15:01

So perfectly normal then smile I understand how you can be sick with nerves but never really come across it with excitement before confused unless it is nerves about the day being fun/what presents he's getting etc?

Once was on the day of his birthday treat, once was the night before his party and this time was a couple of days before his birthday hmm

BridgetvonHammersmark Sun 19-Nov-17 23:36:37

My DD1 used to be so sick with excitement before a holiday that we stopped telling her we were going until we were actually our way. One year we had her sat on the sofa, in her school uniform, thinking she was going to school while we were loading the car so the vomiting was kept to an absolute minimum grin

TwoShades1 Mon 20-Nov-17 04:43:24

Yes it’s totally a thing! Also sickness from anxiety which I get a lot. Often results in me feeling unwell for birthdays and other important occasions.

Hidingtonothing Mon 20-Nov-17 04:53:30

Yep, DD has done this a few times, couple of times on her birthday and once when she'd really worked herself up about her GP's coming to visit. She's not so bad now (she's 9) and we've learned what to avoid so she doesn't work herself up to that level. Definitely a thing though OP.

TheDowagerCuntess Mon 20-Nov-17 04:54:49

Yes, DB missed several Christmas lunches as a kid!

Gruach Mon 20-Nov-17 05:03:59

It is definitely possible to be the sort of child who gets so excited before a birthday that you suffer a raised temperature and have to be put to bed ill. Every year.

Entirely possible to then grow up to be the sort of adult who (while accepting stress on an intellectual level) responds extremely badly, physically, to mental overstimulation.

Eventually you learn to find ways of regulating how much needless stress you expose yourself to - because there's always unavoidable stress lurking round the next corner ...

PositiveAttitude Mon 20-Nov-17 06:28:33

BridgetvonHammersmark I was just like your daughter!! grin My mum stopped telling me when we were going on holiday and would just put me in the car and drive away without saying anything about a holiday. This was after me, year after year, being sick for a week before every holiday and throwing up repeatedly on the journey, often within the first 15 minutes of driving.
It's weird, cos as an adult I have always tried to not get excited about things because it always makes me feel ill. I look forward to things, but excitement is an emotion too far for me!! hmm

Hairq Mon 20-Nov-17 06:33:40

Hmmm, it could just be because his birthday happens to fall in norovirus season. If he's not sick around Christmas or holidays too then I'd say it's probably coincidence.

Ohyesiam Mon 20-Nov-17 10:13:06

There is a big crossover between nervousness and excitement. They are even close than two sides of the same coin.

StayAChild Mon 20-Nov-17 10:31:38

My DC was always sick on Christmas morning, her birthday and before setting off on holiday. As an adult, she's still prone to being sick at the drop of a hat.

MaidOfStars Mon 20-Nov-17 10:31:51

I used to get sick at big events. Grew out of it.

spiderlight Mon 20-Nov-17 10:37:02

Definitely! I have a video somewhere of DS playing with his grandma on his 3rd birthday. She's blowing a party blower at him and he is absolutely killing himself laughing, and then he turns to the camera (me), looks briefly panicked and then projectile vomits bright blue Thomas cake at me.

BridgetvonHammersmark Mon 20-Nov-17 19:55:01

@PositiveAttitude Thats exactly the same as my daughter grin She’s 24 now and tries to be unfazed by everything, but I think it’s because she daren’t get excited anymore!

mumof2kiddos Mon 20-Nov-17 20:05:16

I am normally not like this but when I was 28, pregnant with my 1st child and thankfully NO morning or afternoon or evening sickness whatsoever, one day my DH brought a very good news about him getting a very much needed and longed for job. I was so excited that immediately I started feeling nauseous and went to the toilet to throw up. That was one of the VERY few times that i threw up in the entire pregnancy and I still remember it as I am amazed that one can actually throw up even when they are very happy! I normally feel nauseous when I am very nervous and anxious but never when I am happy! However this occurrence has never repeated again although I am lucky to say that I had loads more happy incidents in my life after that.

longdaysandpleasantnights Mon 20-Nov-17 20:14:09

I used to be sick every Christmas morning through excitement, I bet my parents loved me! grin

LemonMousse Mon 20-Nov-17 20:14:31

Oh this was me as a child. Anything remotely exciting and I was sick. One memorable school play I interspersed my time on stage with vomiting in the loos - not nerves, I loved every minute of it, just pure excitement. Birthdays, Christmas, other people's parties - I puked at the sheer thrill of it!

DD2 (19) has inherited my ability though thankfully she is growing out of it now. Even this weekend when she came home from uni for her birthday as she had friends coming over before they went out she walked in the door and announced 'I feel sick'.
'Too excited?' I said
'Yep' she replied. grin

macnab Mon 20-Nov-17 20:25:10

Yes definitely. My DD is 7 and is often sick with excitement coming up to birthdays, Christmas , a holiday or anything that she's really looking forward to! She also feels sick with worry sometimes but it's actually worse when she's excited!

JayZed Mon 20-Nov-17 20:35:02

I was this child, many a birthday with my head in a bucket coming whilst wittering on about how excited I was hmm I was even like this before swimming lessons

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now