Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

For fuck's sake, how can I tell if my turkey has roasted properly or is dangerous?

(5 Posts)
AbsentmindedWoman Sun 19-Nov-17 22:23:03

Given it a good extra 10 mins that the recommended cooking time on packaging.

It looks mostly done when I cut into it, but the juices aren't sizzling or spitting the way they normally would be when I cook in electric oven - this is gas, my first attempt at cooking something.

How do I know whether the oven has been hot enough? Do gas ovens just not get so intensely hot? I had it between gas mark 6 and 7 and package said 6.

I'm starving, type 1 diabetic, and my anxiety has been utterly shit since about 4pm today sad I really need to be sensible and eat this if I can tell it's cooked properly and not throw it away out of fear. I have no meat thermometer.

If I give it 20 more mins should it be ok? Or could my oven be broken and just lukewarm?

It feels hot on my hand but because there's no fan element, I am so confused.

Sorry for second pathetic thread of the evening, I am just highly anxious - fears running the gamut of simply ruining my week with food poisoning/ losing my job as miss too much time/ multiple organ failure from camphylobacter.

ArbitraryName Sun 19-Nov-17 22:24:37

If the juices run clear, it’s fine.

Bubblysqueak Sun 19-Nov-17 22:40:22

If the juices run clear from the thickest part it is cooked.

shushpenfold Sun 19-Nov-17 22:41:33

Buy a meat thermometer, then you can’t go wrong. X

picklemepopcorn Sun 19-Nov-17 22:49:37

Is it a whole turkey? If you waggle and pull at the leg, it comes off when it’s cooked. Pull the thigh off, if it’s pink it needs a bit longer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now