Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

I just want five seconds to think!!!

(44 Posts)
JudgeRulesNutterButter Sun 19-Nov-17 20:14:42

DH and I have two DC, 4 and 1. We are both struggling with the fact that between the two of them, there is ALWAYS someone asking/whining/nagging/needing attention. I literally feel like I can't finish a thought some days. The 4yo used to be moderately good at independent play until her brother came along, now she sees us giving him attention and wants some too (understandable). Obviously we love both the DC to bits etc etc but at the same time, a little bit of peace and quiet sometimes would be nice!! When does the ultra-demanding stage end?!?!

paxillin Sun 19-Nov-17 20:16:44

Bribe the 4 year old with chocolate buttons/ unicorn stickers/ whatever it takes if she manages to entertain the 1 year old long enough for you to have a cup of tea uninterrupted. Heap praise on her for every minute she manages.

Vitalogy Sun 19-Nov-17 20:29:38

Hide in the bathroom.

madmother1 Sun 19-Nov-17 20:32:44

This too will pass! In 10 years time, you will be longing for your children to talk/need to you.

RefuseTheLies Sun 19-Nov-17 20:35:00

I've only got one 2y/o and today I was begging my DH to deafen me so that I didn't have to listen to any more bloody unspecified toddler noise. Why do they never shut up?!?

I try to bribe my five year old with £1 if he can stop talking for a whole minute but he hasn’t managed it yet hmm I’ve been known to drive past our street as he’s been jabbering so much I can’t concentrate. He’s lovely and funny but I just want him to stop talking for five minutes!

BulletFox Sun 19-Nov-17 21:10:55

Vitalogy grin

Yeah I'd be padlocking myself into the garden shed. If anyone knocked it would be 'NO, I am NOT coming out' said with some ferocity.

OP is there any way you can plan a break every so often, family/friends? Just to get a brief break?

TeaAddict235 Sun 19-Nov-17 21:12:37

In the same boat as you with the ages etc, and I tell DS1 that “I’m thinking, just give me a minute”, and I basically buy sometime not to talk. Just keep saying that, and they’ll realise that when you’re quiet, you’re thinking (of dinner, what to do next, how to escape etc) wine

Vitalogy Sun 19-Nov-17 21:23:38

PeachyCandle Sun 19-Nov-17 21:41:55

I have similar aged DC. The other day they were both making noise (one chattering, one whinging because of teething), DS had noisy toys on the go (some VTech ones we got as a gift for baby DD, from someone who probably hates us), the telly was on and I felt my head would explode.

Fabellini Sun 19-Nov-17 21:48:47

Reminded me of this video grin

LunaDoot Sun 19-Nov-17 21:54:37

Oh Fab that little girl is so cute! What are other people's children so cute?!

skankingpiglet Sun 19-Nov-17 22:29:57

The constant noise is horrific. I have a 3yo and 16mo and the only time there isn't one or both of them making noise is when they are both sleeping (and sometimes not even then) or for the first 5 minutes after they have a meal put in front of them. It doesn't help that the 16mo is the loudest toddler known to mankind (unproven, but enough people have commented on her so it must be true).
I recently wrote on another thread how in my childless days the first thing I'd do when I got home from work was turn on the TV for some background noise. Now if I'm alone it's the last thing I would ever choose to do. Silence is one of the few things I never expected to miss, it wasn't on my radar at all when mentally preparing for childbirth/sleepless nights/other people's bodily fluids. Along with being 'touched out' it was something I didn't think could happen!

I cling on to any minutes of peace I can get and feed them far more pasta than I should to get extra dinner time quiet

JudgeRulesNutterButter Sun 19-Nov-17 22:44:20

Lol at the memes / vid grin

My 4yo was knocking on the bathroom door almost as soon as I'd locked it earlier... the 1yo likes to follow me in so that he can help me pull my trousers up. Which is the perfect cross between awww you're so cute and OMG FUCK OFF!! grin

Bullet I do have a break coming up in a few weeks time with a friend- I don't like to do it too often, as it means DH gets uninterrupted weekend duty. It's the mundane weekends when we don't have much planned which seem hardest- the children can't just chill out. They don't seem to have that gene which DH and I have in abundance to just do nothing once in a while. Or ever. confused

LiveLifeWithPassion Sun 19-Nov-17 22:47:29

Put a film on for them. Disney/Pixar should give you a bit of peace.

BulletFox Sun 19-Nov-17 22:48:21

Oh that's nice smile

The hardest part is right now, it will get easier and you'll be fascinated by them growing into little people with all their quirks

Novemberblues Sun 19-Nov-17 22:48:52

Op it's taken me to four years to tackle one bag of randomised clothes and toys on dc floor, room tidied and cleaned but I never got to that one bag, never even manged ged to cook proper meals it's been constant artillery fore for years... Pounding and pounding, attacks in day and middle of night... Ceaseless but now there is school and I'm in recovery.

CheekyFuckersAreEntertaining Sun 19-Nov-17 22:53:53

My kids are 11, 8 and 5 and it's only now that they have started to leave me alone for half a minute. THANKYOU APPLE AND MICROSOFT!!!

I am now a little bit in love with iPads and xboxes.

I do however have a foolproof of getting them to boldly immdeiately out of sight which is to say, "Right, it's time to tidy up!" And they scuttle away like cockroaches getting out of the light. 5 and older are good ages.

buttwingsham Sun 19-Nov-17 22:58:56

I hear you. Mine are 12,7,4 and 3 and it's just starting to get a teeny bit easier. But not much.
Some days I feel like my ears are bleeding from the constant noise.
It will pass but that's not really very helpful for you at the moment. When mine were smaller I used to go to every toddler group/activity going just to get out of the house and occasionally get a hot drink.

jollyjester Sun 19-Nov-17 23:03:58

I was actually sitting on the toilet the other day and the 16 month old sat on my foot. She just reversed her bum up and plonked down.

Cleanerswin Sun 19-Nov-17 23:49:41

It’s very quiet when they’ve grown up and left home :s

JudgeRulesNutterButter Mon 20-Nov-17 11:32:15

It will pass but that's not really very helpful for you at the moment.

That's actually exactly what I'm after!! That and a reminder that I can eventually plug them into screens grin

At the moment they don't even like the same TV. DD is scared of anything remotely resembling a bad guy and DS won't pay attention to anything except In The Night Garden. I am longing for the Disney/Pixar family film days.

But the Monday routine has started again which helps... it sounds bad to say I dread the weekends but I will try to enjoy them!!!

user1494409994 Mon 20-Nov-17 11:34:43

My youngest is 4 and talks in her sleep..........

super12356855 Mon 20-Nov-17 11:48:49

I feel like I wrote this post, I know exactly how your feel. I had a mini meltdown yesterday but I nice hot shower and Sunday roast out sorted me out for the day winecake

cpic Mon 20-Nov-17 16:08:43

I am in this boat too, 4 and 2yo. Four year old barely pauses for breath, jabber jabber jabber from dawn til dusk and is very demanding. Thank the good Lord he sleeps well! I am clinging on for school to start next September... The 2yo is adorable until she starts screeching at and whacking the 4yo....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now